Raw Lavender Lemon Chevre

I used to be a big chevre lover.  Probably to a point where I was eating too much of the cheese I loved it so much.  I would buy a locally produced brand by the lb, then eat it for dessert every night with fruit.  It was so good...the slightly tart tangy cheese with the creamy mouth feel with sweet fruit.  I loved it with berries the most.  I often times used it in desserts as well, it gave a wonderful flavor to cheesecakes.  When I went raw I was thinking I was going to miss my beloved chevre and I was a bit sad about it.  Not for long though when I discovered you can make even better chevre from creamy white nuts such as macadamias, pine nuts and cashews.

It is one of my favorite indulgences.  I don't eat it every night of course since these nuts are spendy but for a special occasion I will splurge.  Recently I made a flavored chevre that was so delicious I just had to share it with you all. Lavender lemon.  Accented with a bit of maple syrup it was the most heavenly chevre ever!  Served with raw crackers, or crumbled over fresh local strawberries this stuff is good, and worth the splurge.  It would be perfect to serve to guests but if you don't want to share, I understand!

Raw Lavender Lemon Chevre
Serves 8

Cheese:
2 cups raw cashews, pine nuts or macadamia nuts, soaked in filtered water for 4 hours and drained
juice of one lemon (1/4 cup)
1 Tbsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp sea salt or himalayan salt
2 Tbsp maple syrup
2 Tbsp dried lavender

In a high speed blender combine all the cheese ingredients (except lavender) and blend until smooth and creamy.  Stir in the lavender until well combined.  Place in a piece of cheesecloth and roll up into a log a couple inches around.  Place in the fridge overnight to chill before serving.

1. April 30, 2014 at 15:16

Those crackers look good, would you please give the recipe for those too?

• April 30, 2014 at 21:48

The recipe will be in my book coming out this summer for the crackers, I would share otherwise, sorry!

2. Sunnie
    May 1, 2014 at 15:48

You. Are. Fantastic!!! That "cheese" log is prettier than any animal-milk cheese that I've ever seen!! And those crackers look yummy . . .

• May 1, 2014 at 21:43

Thanks Sunnie :)!

3. Anne Lemieux
    March 11, 2016 at 05:36

I do not have any lavender around....I am going to make this with dried rose petals instead.....

4. Emilie Abbott
    November 1, 2017 at 21:36

This looks delicious !! I'm going to make it for my mother in law for Christmas! Do you have the cookbook with this cracker recipe out yet ? I'll totally buy it!! (If not, could you refer me to a good cracker recipe to use with this cheese?) Thanks for the upload! :)

• November 1, 2017 at 23:13

Thank you :)! These are the crackers: http://www.fragrantvanilla.com/roasted-tomatillo-hummus-and-chia-hemp-flax-crackers/

5. Debbie
    January 19, 2018 at 15:04

I just made this. waiting for the chilling period before I try any. But, a question. Your "cheese" looks white in the picture. Mine is definitely not white; it is more of a tan color. I used macadamia nuts, but pine nuts are the same color, so I am guessing anything made with them would be a tan color too. How did you get it white? Camera tricks?

• January 19, 2018 at 17:55

My cheese is a tad more white if I use macadamias, I find that cashews and pine nuts are a little more off white (and I mostly use cashews because they are cheaper). So, my cheese is not usually very white, but it is more white after chilling. It might just look like that because of the lighting in the photo. I find that when I photograph them they come out more white in the pictures.