Vegan Sharp Cheddar Cheeze

Vegan Sharp Cheddar 1

I recently had some really good vegan cheese, and it got me to thinking I should make some of my own again.  It has been a while since I have, and I usually just make the quick type that is done right away the day you start it. This time though, I wanted to make a cheddar type cheese.  So, a little more sharp with more character.  I happened to have just enough cashews in my fridge too!  Of course, macadamia nuts are my nut of choice when it comes to vegan cheese, but they are so spendy so cashews are a good substitute.

Vegan Sharp Cheddar 3

It is pretty simple to make, although it takes a few days.  The reason it has to sit overnight is so that the probiotic powder can do its work on the cheese to give it that tangy flavor.  I also added miso to give it even more cheese flavor, since the mac and cheese recipes I used to make always had it included.  After the cheese sat overnight, I thought it needed to be a bit more firm, so I added some coconut butter before shaping it into a little wheel.

Vegan Sharp Cheddar

I am calling this vegan sharp cheddar cheese, because sharp cheddar is what it reminded me of most, and I love the word cheeze for some reason.  Plus, I know some people freak out over me calling this cheese even if it is vegan (so silly, its my blog so I can call it what I want to, and hey it is cultured).  So cheeze it is.  Really good cheeze too.  I made a pasta dish with the stuff that wasn't snacked on, which I will share soon.

Vegan Sharp Cheddar 2

Vegan Sharp Cheddar Cheeze

Serves 10

2 cups raw cashews, soaked for 4 hours, and drained

1 tsp probiotic powder

1/4 cup filtered water

1 Tbsp white miso

1/2 tsp sea salt (or to taste)

1/3 cup raw coconut butter, warmed to liquid

In a high speed blender combine the soaked cashews, probiotic powder, filtered water, and miso and blend until smooth.  Pour into a bowl, cover and place in a warm spot (like 70 degrees).  Let sit overnight.  When the cheese is tangy, add it to a food processor or blender and add the sea salt and coconut butter and blend until well incorporated.  Pour into a bowl, place in the freezer for about 10 minutes, then scrape onto a piece of plastic wrap, and shape into a wheel while wrapping tightly. Place in the refrigerator until firm, a few hours.  Then enjoy!

1. Fran
    April 2, 2016 at 18:23

I am going to HAVE to make this now. I have never gone hunting for probiotics before but I think I am going to have to hit the health food shops to find some now. This cheeze looks seriously delicious.

2. Ron Vogt
    April 3, 2016 at 02:10

Hi there, Amy. I'm wondering if this cheese in meltable? It looks like something I've been searching for awhile now in vegan cheese recipes. Thank you very much for all the great recipes you have so generously shared over the years, by the way. Ron :-)

• April 3, 2016 at 03:46

Sort of. If you whisk hot water into it you can make a creamy cheese sauce for mac and cheese, but it is not the type of cheese you would say, use on a pizza. Check out this recipe for melty cheese for a pizza, etc. http://www.fragrantvanilla.com/vegan-fig-and-roasted-carrot-pizza/

3. April 3, 2016 at 14:08

I've wanted to try making some of your cheeses for a while, so maybe this will be the one! For the cashews, is it okay to soak and use ones that were already soaked and dehydrated? Or should I just but buy some news raw ones to soak?

• April 3, 2016 at 16:13

You can use either :). It just matters that they get soaked before blending so they get smooth.

• April 20, 2016 at 14:38

I made this recipe over the weekend and was completely blown away by how delicious it is. I never missed cheese that much since I grew up not eating dairy (lactose intolerance), but I've been raving about this to everyone I talk to. It was softer than I expected based on your photos, perhaps because I went with the coconut oil option instead of coconut butter. But that didn't diminish it at all, just made me curious to try making it both ways.

• April 20, 2016 at 22:36

It is a decently soft cheese, but not like a chevre, more like a jack I would say with the coconut butter. I would think the oil would have made it harder. But I guess every batch varies ;)! I am so happy to hear you enjoyed it :)!

4. Andi Saden
    April 3, 2016 at 16:03

This sounds fabulous. I just want to clarify you used coconut butter not coconut oil. Thank you.

• April 3, 2016 at 16:12

Yes coconut butter, because I prefer it. But if you wanted to use oil instead it would still work.

5. Titti
    April 3, 2016 at 19:15

Gorgeous!

6. hanna
    April 5, 2016 at 19:16

hello amy what brand of probiotic you used I know very little about probiotic and I want to make sure that I buy, will work with the recipe so I'm willing bought the same brand than you thank yoou

• April 8, 2016 at 02:43

I use Garden of Life probiotics (I take them every day anyhow, so I have them on hand). http://www.vitacost.com/garden-of-life-raw-probiotics-women-85-billion-90-vegetarian-capsules-1

7. Dorothy White
    April 9, 2016 at 11:14

The probiotic capsules I have only have 5 billion live cultures. Will that work or should I get stronger ones, and if so, how strong do they have to be to be effective? looking forward very much to trying this!

• April 9, 2016 at 12:18

I would think that they would still be effective for cheese making (since you are not putting them in the cheese to take your daily dose, just to flavor and ferment it). Mine have 85 billion, but the cheese seems to ferment faster with the ones I use than others I have tried in the past.

8. Dorothy White
    April 10, 2016 at 15:55

Thanks Amy. I'll let you know if it works!

9. Cynthia
    April 13, 2016 at 10:22

Your recipe says" When the cheese is tangy, add it to a food processor". Do you have to keep tasting it to determine when it is "tangy"? How can you tell if it's tangy enough? (I've never made cheese before)

• April 13, 2016 at 12:11

You will definitely be able to tell when it is tangy (like yogurt would be) if you taste it when you first blend it versus the next day. It gets more of a sour flavor. If you let it sit for 12 hours, and it tastes good to you, then it is ready. If you think it needs more of a sour flavor let it go 12 more.

10. lili
    November 14, 2016 at 23:47

Is it possible to leave out the Butter or Oil?

• November 15, 2016 at 00:38

No, because they help it to set up and give it the texture it has. If you are looking for a more spreadable cheese, then you can, but if you want it to have shape like this and be cut-able then don't.