Beet Ravioli with Orange Thyme Ricotta and Orange Strawberry Sauce

I have been eating beets in a lot of salads lately, and I love them but I decided that I needed to be a little more interesting with the combination so I made beet ravioli.  I cut it into hearts to be cute, and laced the macadamia inside with some thyme and orange.
I finished it off with a strawberry orange sauce and served it with greens and it was a delicious light meal.  I can't believe it took me over 1/2 a year into being raw before I tried beet ravioli.  I will definitely have to come up with different sauces and fillings now because it was awesome!

Beet Ravioli with Orange Thyme Ricotta and Orange Strawberry Sauce
Serves 4

Macadamia Ricotta:
2 cups Macadamias, soaked for at least 4 hours, drained (or cashews if you prefer)
juice of one lemon
1 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 Tbsp orange zest
1 Tbsp fresh thyme, minced

Strawberry Orange Sauce:
1 cup fresh strawberries
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
2 soft medjool dates, pitted
a pinch of sea salt
1/4 tsp thyme

24 large thin slices of raw beet,cut into hearts if desired
greens for serving
strawberries and orange slices for serving

To make Macadamia ricotta, Combine the macadamias, lemon juice, and sea salt and orange zest and thyme in a high speed blender or food processor and process until smooth with about 3 Tbsp of filtered water (or enough to make a thick soft cheese consistency without being runny).  Wrap cheese in a double layer of cheesecloth, and place in the fridge to let sit a day or two.

For the sauce, combine all ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
To assemble, scoop about 1 Tbsp of the ricotta onto half the beet slices, then top with another beet slice to make ravioli.  Place 3 on each plate, then place a hanful of greens, some strawberries and orange slices.  Spoon some of the sauce over the ravioli on each plate and use the extra for the greens if desired.

1. May 3, 2013 at 13:28

You are a genius! They're too nice!<br />I just think I'd like a less sweet sauce, maybe I would do it just with orange..but really really creative!:D

• May 4, 2013 at 03:13

Thank you so much :)! You should try the strawberry sauce...it really compliments the beets ;). But if you do not like it you could always go back to the orange ;).<br />

2. May 3, 2013 at 13:38

Wow that looks and sounds incredible! Love the creativity, keep it coming!<br /><br />Happy Blogging!<br /><a href="http://www.happyvalleychow.com/" rel="nofollow">Happy Valley Chow</a><br />

• May 4, 2013 at 03:13

Thank you so much :)!

3. May 3, 2013 at 14:00

I need to try this one! you are incredible! thank you for sharing such artistic and delicious creativity

• May 4, 2013 at 03:14

Thank you so much, I hope you do try them, they are simple to make, but so good ;)!

4. May 4, 2013 at 00:16

This looks fantastic! I have a a question about dehydrating if you don't mind. I just got an excalibur and was wondering when you dehydrate a cake do you take all the other trays out and only leave the tray in with the cake on it? Do you place it towards the middle like you would in a oven? Sorry if these are dumb questions I'm a total newby to dehydrating.

• May 4, 2013 at 03:15

Thank you! You do not have to take out the other trays unless they are in the way of the cake (it is too tall) and it doesn't matter where the cake is on the trays, it is not like an oven. No question is ever dumb, I am happy to help you :)!

• May 4, 2013 at 03:20

Thank you so much! I love your blog it is like waking up to Christmas morning every time you post a new recipe...seriously I'm obsessed! Thanks for sharing your amazing talent.

• May 4, 2013 at 03:34

No problem! Thank you for your kind words :)! I am happy to share!

5. RaMama
    May 4, 2013 at 14:46

Hi Amy, where do you buy raw macademias? Just online? Trader Joe's .com and WF only carry the roasted ones. Thanks for posting so often too!

• May 4, 2013 at 23:11

I got mine at a health food store that I work at in the bulk section. No problem, I am happy to share :)!

6. Heather
    May 28, 2013 at 19:14

I tried this as a side to dinner last night. It went over with great reviews! I actually made a few alterations since I'm not 100% raw. Instead of making the Macadamia cheese, I substituted greek yogurt, added the remaining ingredients then stirred in 2 TBSP of flax meal to thicken. I also didn't have strawberries, so I substituted slightly thawed marionberries. I also used golden beets instead of red beets which made the red sauce look awesome on the golden beets! I tasted them with and without the sweet sauce. Though it tasted good without, the sauce really adds to it. For anyone who is skeptical of the sweetness of the sauce, it helps to cut the tartness of the citrus in the recipe and adds another layer of flavor, so take the time to make it. Looking at the recipe, I wasn't sure how these would taste, but you've made an awesome recipe again. Thanks for sharing!!

• May 29, 2013 at 01:14

Glad you enjoyed it and made it your own. I always encourage people to make the recipes to their tastes so you can always feel free to use what you have on hand. I am glad you enjoyed the sweet sauce, it is something you have to try to believe ;)! Thank you for letting me know what you thought of them.

February 12, 2015 at 01:24