Vegan White Mocha Chocolates
When I was in high school, every Sunday after Church my Mom and I would go to a local independently owned coffee shop. It was really small, and it carried locally roasted coffee, and it smelled amazing when you walked in. Much better than Caribou or Starbucks in my opinion. I always appreciate the small local businesses, and like to spend money there instead of big chains when I have the choice. I got the dark mocha for many years, and later switched to the americano when I wanted to cut my sugar intake. But my Mom would always get the white mocha. It was always enjoyable to go there, it was sort of a treat and it made my Sunday more relaxing. I don't drink coffee now, I am more of a matcha latte girl, and my Mom makes her own French press on weekends at home instead of going out, but she must still have a soft spot in her heart for those white mochas because she asked me a few months back if I would make her some white mocha truffles. They sounded good to me too, so I put them on my to make list, but I did not have cacao butter at the time so they had to wait.
Finally this week I got some, so I was all over making those truffles! It has kind of been a coffee weekend for me, I made an Irish Coffee Layer Cake too! I wanted the truffles to be rich and delicious with a white chocolate coffee cream center, and white chocolate shell. They are actually pretty simple to make, you just make the white chocolate mixture, then remove part of it and whisk the coffee in for the filling. I wanted them to have plenty of coffee flavor, so I added both brewed coffee and espresso powder and it was delicious! It tasted like a delicious steaming white mocha, only cooled down of course!
I dipped them in white chocolate, and voila! Pure delicious coffee white chocolate goodness! The centers were melt in your mouth smooth and rich, sweet and something you savor and you need just one to satisfy! I can't wait to share them with my Mom, I think they will go perfect with her mid morning coffee! If you are a fan of white chocolate and coffee, these are a must try!
Vegan White Mocha Chocolates
- 1/2 cup cacao butter (4 oz)
- 1/4 cup raw cashew butter
- 1/2 cup coconut butter
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup strong organic coffee
- 2 tsp fine espresso powder
- Combine all of the white chocolate ingredients over a double boiler, and whisk until smooth. Divide between 2 bowls.
- Whisk the coffee and espresso powder into one of the bowls. Place the bowl with the coffee in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes until it is firm enough to scoop. Scoop into 10 balls, rolling them with your hands until smooth and place on a parchment lined tray, and place back into the freezer until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Once the filling has firmed up, dip each chocolate into the remaining melted white chocolate (if it has gotten too cool and is firming up, warm it a little more over the double boiler) being sure to let the excess drain off, and place back onto the tray (I like to set mine on a fork to allow it to drain better). Once they are all dipped, set them in the freezer until hardened.
Store any leftover truffles in the refrigerator.