Vegan Cappucchino Cheesecake Swirl Brownies
I am a coffee fan. It always smelled amazing to me even if for the first part of my life I thought it actually tasted gross. But that may have been because the only time I would try it would be some event at church or something and I tried it plain with nothing in it. Now as an adult I guess I am somewhat picky about the type I drink. I like medium or light roasts, dark sometimes tastes too burnt to me. Also, my favorite coffee beans are from local roasters here in Minnesota. My favorite is Dogwood Coffee. I make my coffee at home during the week or have some at work, usually with a bit of oatmilk. But on weekends Eric and I like to go out for coffee dates and order something a little more fancy. I was enjoying some coffee last weekend and was thinking about how good it would be with brownies to enjoy it with. So I decided to make some!
I thought why not make the brownies have a little bit of coffee flavor as well, so I made cappucchino cheesecake swirl brownies! I know brownies are so good on their own, but I usually can't resist swirling something delicious with them or flavoring them with different things. It is so much more fun that way! My favorite is a cheesecake type filling. Vegan of course! Cheesecake is also one of my favorite desserts so I love incorporating it into other things.
For these I made my classic brownie base, which is rich and fudgy just how I like my brownies! But this time I added a bit of coffee to it as well, because why not have a coffee element in both the brownie and the cheesecake part! The batter was so good even before I baked it (I know because I enjoyed the last bit as I scraped out the bowl). For the cheesecake part I used a combination of coconut cream and cashew butter to make it creamy and give it a cheesecake like texture. I scented it with vanilla and coffee and it was perfect!
These baked up beautifully! They filled my kitchen with the most heavenly aroma! I love the smell of brownies baking, one can't possibly be in a bad mood while smelling that, or if you were it lifts your spirits! Such a happy aroma! I could not wait to try them. Once they were cooled down and I was able to cut them I dove in. They were so heavenly! The perfect partner for a cup of good coffee, they were intensely chocolaty with the scent of coffee and vanilla, the cheesecake swirl rich and delicious! If you are a coffee and chocolate fan, definitely give these a try!
Vegan Cappuchino Cheesecake Swirl Brownies
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut cream (from the top of a chilled can)
- 1/2 cup cashew butter
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp espresso powder
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp ground flax seed mixed with 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp filtered water
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup organic whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp espresso powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup vegan dark chocolate chunks
- To make the swirl, combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- To make the brownies, pre-heat the oven to 375F degrees. Whisk together the sugar, avocado oil and applesauce until well combined and the sugar is starting to break down.
- Add the flax water mixture, and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Add the flour, cacao powder and sea salt and beat until smooth.
- Scrape the batter into a greased 8x8 inch pan, then pour the swirl over it, then drop the jam by the tsp over that. Sprinkle with the chocolate chunks.
- Place in the oven, and Bake for about 30 minutes or until set (but do not over bake).
- Let cool completely before cutting into bars.