Vegan Apple Streusel Muffins
I made apple scones earlier last week, and when I still had apples on hand, I decided that I needed to make some more apple goodies. I usually make apple crisps and apple pies and that sort of thing but this time muffins sounded good. I don't make them often after all, and I was craving some. Also, I don't think I have made apple muffins before. I was dreaming up some fragrantly spiced, sweet muffins packed with apple flavor and topped off with a crunchy streusel. I needed to make that happen.
So, I blended up a few of my apples into some apple sauce, and used those for most of the wet ingredients in the muffins. They were sweet tart apples, so the flavor was perfect. I also added in some almond butter and a flax egg, and they provided just enough richness that you would never know these are oil free. Also, I added plenty of cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg and the spices went beautifully with the apple. I did not make these gluten free, because I had whole wheat pastry flour on hand but if you need to make them gluten free, I recommend using Bob's Red Mill gluten free all purpose baking flour. I have used it in the past swapped with the regular flour and it works perfect!
Lastly I topped them off with a crunchy oat streusel, because it is one of my all time favorite things especially on things that are spiced, and to top off muffins or a coffeecake. They smelled amazing while baking. Like that smell of the cinnamon apple doughnuts that wafts through the air at the apple orchard. I could not wait to try one! They were super delicious! Soft and sweet with a tender not heavy crumb and the lovely scent of fall spices.
The streusel was crispy and the perfect pairing with it. I shared some with my Mom and she said they were some of the best muffins she ever had. That is a huge compliment considering she is not a muffin person usually. If you have apples or apple sauce on hand, definitely give these a try! They would be the perfect thing to bake on a cool fall morning and we are not far off from that!
Apple Streusel Muffins
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup almond butter
- 1 cup organic apple sauce
- 1 ½ Tbsp ground flax seed mixed with 4 ½ Tbsp filtered water
- 1 1/4 cups organic whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp organic rolled oats
- 3 Tbsp organic whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- pinch sea salt
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees, and line 16 muffin tins with liners.
- Whisk together the coconut sugar, apple, almond butter and flax mixture in a large bowl.
- Add the flour, spices, sea salt, baking soda and baking powder and whisk until smooth.
- Spoon into the muffin tins.
- Mix the streusel ingredients together with your fingers until they start to clump together. Sprinkle over the muffins.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out almost clean with a few moist crumbs attached.
- Let cool on a rack for at least 20 minutes before enjoying.