Raw Mini Chocolate Salted Caramel Doughnuts

A couple weeks ago I took a poll as to what raw doughnuts to make.  There were three options, all delicious.  Although red velvet ended up winning, the chocolate salted caramel was a close second. Not wanting to dissapoint my readers, I decided to make them this weekend, and I am glad I did!  Afterall, the combination of dark chocolate, caramel and a bit of salt is just plain drool worthy!
For the doughnut batter, I wanted to create something that was brownie like.  I made it a little different than the others I have made in that I added a bit of apple for sweetness.  It may sound unusual, but trust me, once all blended together, this tasted like the most amazing brownie batter I have tasted in a long time!  It was tempting to simply eat the bowl of it...but that would defeat the purpose of doughnuts.
I am happy I waited though, once they were topped off with the date caramel and fleur de sel, they were heavenly!  Like mini turtle cakes...totally crave worthy, sweet and salty! I like this raw mini doughnut making buisness, I am thinking I need to come up with even more flavors!
Raw Mini Chocolate Salted Caramel Doughnuts

10 medjool dates, pitted
2 Tbsp macadamia or raw coconut butter
2 Tbsp raw coconut nectar
3 Tbsp filtered water
1 Tbsp coconut oil

fleur de sel

To prepare the doughnuts, process buckwheat, pecans, coconut and sea salt in a food processor until the pecans are fine crumbs, then add the cacao, nectar, vanilla and dates and process until well mixed. Add the apple and pulse until well blended. Form the mixture into 8 doughnuts (it will be sticky, so it helps if you oil your hands), place on a dehydrator sheet, and dehydrate for 6 hours (or until the outside is dried and the middle is still a little moist.
Meanwhile, to make caramel, combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Press the caramel through a fine meshed strainer to remove any bits of date (optional, but makes a smoother caramel).
Top doughnuts with the caramel (I put mine in a pastry bag for easier drizzling), sprinkle with fleur de sel, and serve!

1. November 12, 2012 at 17:05

You never cease to amaze! Wish you were my neighbor Amy! You'd fit right in with me and my girlfriends - we always do dessert and wine nights :D

• November 12, 2012 at 22:34

Can I be your neighbor? I`m a 35 years old guy, from Romania, and I have a big, but I mean a really enormous :) sense of humor and I live for desert, wine and girlfriends in the night. I fit perfectly in this scenario. :D So, can I, can I? :">

• November 13, 2012 at 23:10

Thanks so much Heather :)! Me too! It would be fun to share all the food!

2. November 12, 2012 at 18:14

They look like delicious little morsels just perfect for a pick-me-up at the end of a hard day. Thank you again and from the bottom of my heart for sharing these wonderful recipes with us all :)

• November 13, 2012 at 23:10

Thank you :)! I completely agree! I love to share with you all, so happy to :)!

3. November 12, 2012 at 22:42

Amy, these cookies take my breath away and I`m in the pain right now. :| Look so delicious!

• November 13, 2012 at 23:11

4. November 13, 2012 at 04:29

Made these today. Soooooo good! Thank you!

• November 13, 2012 at 23:11

Awesome :)! So glad you liked them!

5. November 15, 2012 at 21:08

Hi! I'm new to your site and am SO excited that I have these in the dehydrator right now. YA! :D Question: what temperature do you use for dehydrating? I've seen 105 and 115. Right now, I've got them on 105, just in case. Thanks!

• November 15, 2012 at 22:43

Either is fine, they will just be done faster at 115. If I put them in before bed, I do the lower temp so they don't get too dry if I can't take them out right away.

• November 16, 2012 at 02:44

Thanks for your quick response!<br />

6. November 16, 2012 at 03:23

These turned out so well! The caramel frosting is to die for. The dates I had weren't extremely "wet," so I ended up adding 2 Tbsp warm water to the food processor as it was running (making the frosting), but otherwise, followed this recipe to a T and am so glad I did. My husband gave them the thumbs up and is already planning to have one for breakfast! :) Thanks for a great treat.

• November 16, 2012 at 22:58

If the dates are not soft, I would soak them for 30 min. next time, but adding water works too ;). Glad they turned out for you :)! Thanks for letting me know!

• December 11, 2012 at 23:13

I fixed the recipe. That was a note to myself that I meant to change before publishing. Sorry! I meant sprouted dehydrated buckwheat.

7. Tia
    June 19, 2016 at 09:43

Hi Amy, these look so amazing! .. just wondering if buckwheat flour would work instead of the sprouted buckwheat? x

• June 19, 2016 at 13:10

I haven't tried it, but it should. Just start out with using less than the recipe calls for, and add more if needed.