Golden Chai Coconut Milk Gelato
You would think I would stop with the ice cream making now that the temperatures are falling a little, and Fall is here. Nope! I love ice cream, and truth be told I even have to keep a supply on hand in the Fall and Winter to go with things like fruit pies and crisps which I like to serve warm with ice cream on the side. The ice cream is essential to those in my opinion. It provides something a little cool and creamy to balance out the warm and gooey of those desserts. I am a big texture and flavor person when it comes to food, so it must have balance. I make all of my ice cream in my own home too, that way I can choose what flavors I want and make them to fit with what I am serving them with. I knew I was going to be making some apple desserts soon which would need ice cream, so I made Golden Chai Coconut Milk Gelato.
Copper Cup sent me some of their turmeric latte mix to test out, and it is delicious! If you haven't heard of it, it is a slightly sweet blend of spices that you add to coconut milk, and voila! A delicious warming drink. It also contains turmeric of course, and ginger so it has anti-inflammatory benefits as well. I like it before bed, as it is calming plus has no caffeine. The company was previously named Golden Chai, and they are in the process of renaming to Copper Cup. To celebrate, they are offering a deal on their website for 25% off your order. Use the offer code COPPERCUP25 when placing your order. Also, they are allowing me to give away some of their awesome mix to one lucky winner on Instagram, so be sure to head over there to enter! Here is the link of you want to enter! So, not only have I been drinking the turmeric lattes this week, I also decided to add it to the ice cream that I mentioned earlier.
I was thinking, why not! The aroma and flavor of it remind me of Fall, and I bet it would be awesome in some coconut milk ice cream to serve with my Apple Pie! So, I made a 5 ingredient gelato using it. Just coconut milk, cashew butter, dates, sea salt and the Copper Cup Turmeric Latte Mix. Why the cashew butter you might ask? Simple, it gives the ice cream that rich smooth flavor of gelato. No icy low fat ice cream here...I like my ice cream to taste indulgent so even just a little will satisfy! It tasted amazing too! Smooth, sweet, and lightly spiced with the lovely golden hue of the turmeric. This is a super easy simple recipe, and it is perfect for this time of the year! Because I don't know about you, but I am baking a heck of a lot of apple and other fall fruit desserts lately that need to be topped off with ice cream!
Golden Chai Coconut Milk Gelato
Makes about 3 cups
- 3 cups full fat organic coconut milk
- 1/2 cup raw cashew butter
- 1/2 cup soft, pitted medjool dates (if they are not soft, soak them in filtered water for 30 minutes before using)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 packages Copper Cup Turmeric Latte Mix
- To make the ice cream, combine coconut milk, cashew butter, dates, sea salt and chai in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into an ice cream maker and process according to directions. Alternatively, if you do not have an ice cream maker, pour it into a bowl, and whisk every half hour until it is to the consistency of a thick malt.
- Once it has finished churning, pour the ice cream base into a freezer safe container with a lid. Place in the freezer with the lid on, and continue to freeze until firm enough to scoop (at least 4 hours or overnight). If it becomes too firm, simply let it sit out for 15 minutes before serving.