Vegan Flourless Chocolate Cake

I have always wanted to make a flourless chocolate cake and finally last weekend I did.  It all started when someone asked me if I had a flourless chocolate cake recipe because they wanted to make one for Easter. I didn't unfortunately, and I decided that I needed to make one!  Surprising in all of my years of baking and dessert making I never have, but it couldn't be too difficult, right?  I know traditional recipes contain like 2 sticks of butter and loads of sugar and whatnot, but I wasn't going to go there...this was going to be a healthified vegan recipe.
This cake is chocolate intensified.  Just the way I like it, loads of dark chocolate in the form of cacao powder and melted chocolate.  That was the classic part of the cake.  Instead of the loads of butter, sweet coconut oil and pureed pear were added.  Not that I have a problem with fat, our bodies need it after all, but I thought the pear in place of some oil would keep the cake fudgy and not greasy.  I used flax eggs in place of the regular eggs in this, and I was a bit concerned about that when I placed it in the oven not knowing if they would work the same but they worked wonderfully!  The cake rose to the level it should, and it smelled amazing.
It tasted like chocolate heaven.  One giant fudgy brownie cake, deep dark chocolate goodness fit for a princess.  Or fit for an Easter table.  I think this would be the perfect finale to an Easter meal, or any spring celebration especially if you garnish it with dried flowers or something colorful.  The best part about this cake is it is super easy to make.

Vegan Flourless Chocolate Cake
Makes one 6 inch cake

3 Tbsp ground flaxseed
1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp filtered water
4 ounces vegan unsweetened chocolate, chopped

1/4 cup virgin coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup pureed pear or apple
1 1/4 cups coconut sugar
1/2 cup raw cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder plus additional for sprinkling
dried flowers for garnishing
In a bowl, whisk together the flax seed and water. Place in the fridge for 15 minutes to gel. This will be your flax eggs.
Meanwhile, oil a 6 inch spring form pan with coconut oil and preheat the oven to 375F degrees.
In the top of a double boiler, combine the chocolate and coconut oil.  Allow to melt, whisking often.
Whisk in the pear puree, sugar, sea salt, and vanilla until smooth.
Add the flax eggs and allow to warm for a couple minutes with the other ingredients whisking often until smooth and uniform.  Whisk in the cacao powder until combined, then pour into the prepared pan.
Place in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes until dried on the top and mostly set.
Once finished baking, remove from the oven, allow to cool 15 minutes, then release from the pan and dust with cacao powder.  Garnish with dried flowers if desired.

1. March 20, 2015 at 13:44

AW, I love this cake, Amy. So pretty and simple. I'm also in love with using dried flowers for garnish lately as well -- they make every cake look so happy :)

2. Claudia
    March 20, 2015 at 23:15

I think I just found the perfect cake for my son's birthday. Thank you for yet another fabulous recipe.

• March 21, 2015 at 01:33

Awesome :)! You are so welcome!

3. Daphne
    March 21, 2015 at 16:57

Hi, can I use applesauce instead of apple purée? Is it the same?

4. Michelle
    March 25, 2015 at 18:27

Could I replace the coconut sugar with stevia??

• March 25, 2015 at 20:45

I wouldn't recommend it, because stevia doesn't tend to cut the intensity of dark chocolate as well as the coconut sugar and the cake might taste too bitter.

• Michelle
        March 25, 2015 at 22:19

Ok great thank you!!! Coconut sugar is a great healthier option anyways , just about to make the cake & will enjoy devouring it later with some coconut cream. Thank you again!

• March 25, 2015 at 22:24

No problem :)! Coconut cream is the perfect partner for it!

• Michelle
          April 17, 2015 at 15:20

Arrgghhh ! I couldn't see eggs in the ingredients list? I read in the recipe add flax eggs but thought it was a typo for flax seed, not sure how it'll turn out, it's just coming out of the oven.... How many eggs should I have used?? TIA

• April 17, 2015 at 21:05

There are no eggs in the recipe if it vegan. The flax eggs are made at the beginning of the recipe, if you followed it, you did it right.

5. Stephanie Guerra
    September 16, 2015 at 00:03

Can I make it a few days ahead of time? Would I store it in refrigerator?

• September 16, 2015 at 00:14

Yes you may! But I would bring it to room temperature before serving and wait to dust the top until you are going to serve as well.

6. Stephanie Guerra
    September 16, 2015 at 00:48

Another question. My springform pan is about 9 inches. Can I double the recipe

• September 16, 2015 at 02:03

Yes you may. But it will take longer to bake.

7. Lise D
    September 19, 2015 at 19:42

Hi Amy, love your recipes and website, really gorgeous food pics. I'm making this recipe, and it looks like the coconut oil is coming out of the cake while its still baking. Is that supposed to happen?

• September 19, 2015 at 23:02

It may not have been completely emulsified and mixed when you poured it into the pan. It should still taste good though :).

8. Stacy R
    November 13, 2015 at 19:03

It sounds and looks amazing, can't wait to make this! I only have 8 inch pans. What do you suggest? Increasing the recipe, or shortening the bake time?

• November 14, 2015 at 00:17

I would 1 1/2 x the recipe, and increase the baking time.

9. Katie W
    December 31, 2015 at 22:35

Hi Amy! This looks like a great recipe and is beautiful - unfortunately, mine didn't turn out the same as yours! I gave it a try tonight and after 50 minutes my cake was still bubbling and looked encased in oil as well as still being the consistency of batter. I used applesauce and canola oil instead of coconut oil but otherwise followed your directions exactly. Do you have any ideas as to what might have happened? Thanks!

• January 1, 2016 at 00:17

It could have been the canola oil, I would never recommend using it in any of my recipes. Also, your ingredients might not have been incorporated well enough before pouring it into the pan, and the oil may have separated.

• Katie W
        January 2, 2016 at 23:35

That makes sense. Thanks so much! Do you know of any good substitutes for coconut oil if I don't have it on hand?

• January 3, 2016 at 01:34

Well, for this recipe I would use olive or almond oil.