Savory Vegan Zucchini Cakes with Creamy Roasted Tomato Sauce

Savory Zucchini Cakes 2

I got a huge zucchini in my CSA box, and I had to make something with it.  My oven was broken, so zucchini cake or bread was out of the question.  But what else could I make?  I really did not want to make something sweet anyhow, I thought using it for dinner was a good idea.  I could have made raw zucchini noodles but I didn't feel like that.  Finally after thinking about it all day at work, it dawned on my while I was out walking (my best time to think).  Savory pancakes!  I have made them with other shredded veggies in the past, but not zucchini.

Savory Zucchini Cakes 1

I ended up using chickpea flour for the batter because I love the flavor it has in dishes like this, and I wanted a good dose of protein in my dinner.  I used aquafaba (chickpea liquid in place of the usual eggs to keep it light as well. I also threw in some garlic and onions which were also in my CSA box, along with some basil. The pancakes were awesome!  I served them with a luscious roasted tomato cream, and it was the perfect hearty dinner.  Yes, I like breakfast for dinner.  I could go for these any time of the day though, and if you happened to make them for breakfast they would hold you and energize you for quite a while!

Savory Zucchini Cakes 3

Savory Vegan Zucchini Cakes with Creamy Roasted Tomato Sauce

Serves 3-4

Sauce:

2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges

3/4 cup full fat coconut milk (from the top of the can)

1/4 tsp sea salt (or to taste)

Pancakes:

1 3/4 cups chickpea flour

1 cup aquafaba (chickpea liquid)

1/4 cup chopped onion

2 garlic cloves, minced

1/4 tsp ground chipotle powder

1/4 cup chopped fresh basil

3 cups shredded zucchini

olive oil for cooking

Place the tomatoes in the oven on an oiled sheet pan, and roast at 400F degrees until soft and starting to brown, about 20 minutes.  Or, you may use the dehydrator, and "roast" them for 4 hours until soft if you do not want to heat up the oven (which is actually what I ended up doing since my oven was broken). To make the sauce, combine the tomatoes and all other sauce ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Set aside.

To make the pancakes, whisk  the aquafaba a little at a time into the chickpea flour until smooth.  Add the onion, garlic, sea salt, chipotle, basil, and whisk until combined.  Stir in the zucchini until well incorporated.

Pre heat your oven (or see dehydrator option below) to 150F-200F, and heat a pan over medium heat.  Add a little olive oil to the pan, then 1/3 cup batter.  Cook for about 3-4 minutes on the first side, until browned, then flip and repeat with the second.  Place in the oven to keep warm while you do the rest (alternatively you may place them in a 155F degree dehydrator on the trays, which is what I did since my oven was broken). Once your pancakes have finished cooking, serve them warm with the sauce!

1. Terri
    July 25, 2015 at 23:50

Loved this recipe !!! I too was in need of a change from Zoodles and this fit the bill. Only some minor changes like sour cream for the coconut milk in the sauce and smoked paprika for the chipotle powder in the pancakes. All in all, they were great. Thanks.

• July 26, 2015 at 00:21

So happy to hear you made it your own and enjoyed it! Thank you for letting me know, it makes me happy to see people making my recipes :)!

2. robin m
    July 26, 2015 at 20:19

HI Amy, I am curious to find out where you get all your aquafaba? You seem to use it quite often these days. I don't use canned chickpeas. The liquid from home made beans doesn't seem as thick either. I am loving all your recipes. I am going to make your savory-vegan zucchini cakes tonight. Thanks again....robin m

• July 26, 2015 at 22:06

I work in a health food store deli where I cook lots of chickpeas. I do reduce the liquid to make it thicker. You want it the consistency of egg whites once cooled. Happy to hear you are going to try these out :)!

3. Fran
    August 26, 2015 at 23:18

Just saw you are on Instagram. Consider me a follower :). Awesome recipe and with our summer rapidly approaching, I can't wait to give these a go when zucchini comes back into season. I might even grow some myself just so that I can make them whenever I want :).

4. Rhondy
    January 27, 2016 at 06:23

Hello Amy , I am eager to make to try this recipe. It looks absolutely scrumptious. However, I would like to keep it all raw if possible. Do you think it would work if I substituted spouted chickpea flour? I have not used aquafaba before, May I use a flax egg or flax in its place? If so, how much of the flax should I use? I would like to dehydrate them as you did. How long should I allow them to dehydrate. Are the photos your write of the cooked version ? Please excuse all the questions Amy. I am so excited and do not want to ruin the recipe. Thank you for such an inspiring site.

• January 27, 2016 at 23:42

I am not sure how it would work with substitutions, as I have not made it that way, but I would say go for it! Sounds like it would work out with the chickpea flour and flax eggs. One flax egg is 1 Tbsp ground flax seed 3 Tbsp water. If it were aquafaba it would be 3 Tbsp. I would dehydrate them for about 8 hours then check them.

5. Mortisha Poppins
    September 8, 2018 at 22:09

I sent this recipe to a friend and he just made it tonight giving me the play by play with a slideshow....he was thrilled with the results....His exact words "Oh my god. This is amazing!" What a wonderful resource you are Amy....I so appreciate you. You have a brilliant culinary flair. Thank you for all that you share.

• September 9, 2018 at 09:48

That's awesome :)! I am so happy to hear that he enjoyed it, and that you are enjoying my recipes too. Thank you for making my day with your comment :)! I am always happy to share my recipes.