Raw Tag-Along Cookies

Tag Alongs

I like to make Girl Scout cookie inspired desserts sometimes.  Maybe it is because I loved those things as a child and I have good memories of enjoying them.  I know if I ate them as an adult it would not quite be the same though since my taste buds and body are no longer used to refined sugar and flours and they would probably rebel.  But luckily I can make my own versions of these tasty treats. Last week I decided to make Raw Tag-Alongs.  They were one of my favorites next to the Samoas and Thin Mints.  This is actually a recipe that is in my book Fragrant Vanilla Cake: Sweet and Savory, but since I was making them again I decided to share it on my blog in case you don't own the book.

Tag Alongs 3

I think this raw version is even better than the original.  Crunchy cookie topped off with gooey peanut butter which I leave unsweetened because the rich dark chocolate is nice and sweet and it is the perfect balance.  When eating them I am instantly brought back to my childhood and remembering that peanut butter and chocolate always rules.  Sorry Girl Scouts, you got nothing on my raw version of these!  What is your favorite girl scout cookie?

Tag Alongs 2

Raw Tag-Along Cookies

Makes 10

Crust:

1 cup raw buckwheat groats, sprouted and dried

1 1/2 cups dried shredded coconut

1/2 cup ground flaxseed

3/4 cup soft medjool dates, pitted (soaked in water 30 minutes if not soft and drained well)

10 heaping Tbsp. raw jungle peanut butter or regular natural peanut butter

Raw Chocolate:

½ cup raw coconut oil, warmed to liquid

¾ cup raw cacao powder

¼ cup raw maple syrup or raw coconut nectar

A pinch sea salt

For the crust, combine all ingredients in a food processor, and process until finely ground and holding together when squeezed.  Roll out on a lined sheet pan ¼ inch thick, and cut into 10 circles.  Spread a heaping Tbsp. peanut butter over each one, and place in the freezer until frozen hard, about an hour.  Meanwhile, whisk together all the chocolate ingredients in a bowl.

Dip each of the cookies into the chocolate, and let the excess drain off (use a fork to make it easier), and set back on the foil. Dip the remaining cookies, and then place in the freezer to harden (about 10 minutes).  Store in the refrigerator.

Tag Alongs 1

1. LRC
    March 25, 2015 at 19:47

Does the 8 T peanut butter go in the crust or is this for the second layer?

• March 25, 2015 at 20:45

It goes on top of the crust, before you dip them in the chocolate.

2. Terry
    March 25, 2015 at 23:49

Oh My! These are by far one of the most decadent, over the top delicious raw cookies I have ever tried or made! I have a few questions about the ingredient list; "10 circles+ 8 heaping Tbs. of jungle peanut butter" how does that math work? Do the last 3 circles get a heaping Tbs. of peanut butter? So what I did was I add the jungle peanut butter to the the crust ingredients, topped the cookie with more jungle peanut butter. I did this because the processed cookie crust was dry ( I did not soak my dates either /: ) and did not come together. Also do you have a link as to where I can get jungle peanut butter? I make my own, and when I do, it has a tendency to come out dry. With all that said this cookie came out scrumptious, this recipe is a keeper, and pinned to my Pinterest page. A warm Thanks to you Amy for one fantastic cookie!

• March 25, 2015 at 23:58

Hi Terry, The 8 Tbsp was a typo, I fixed it. It is supposed to be 10, on top of the cookies. If your crust is too dry, it may be that your dates were too dry (I recommend soaking them in water if they are not soft to begin with and draining them well before you use them). In that case, then add a touch of water or more dates until they are not dry and hold together. I just added the link to the jungle peanut butter in the ingredients in case you want to buy some. I make my own as well because it is cheaper. Happy you enjoyed the recipe and made it work for you :)!

3. Terry
    March 26, 2015 at 00:21

Thanks Amy I got the link! I forgot to mention that I used carob instead of chocolate (it's a neurotoxin for me). I usually make my own carob chips, and ganache with raw carob powder, so it worked perfectly. I would love to know where you purchase jungle peanuts, they tend to be a bit pricey buying them at my local health food store. Thanks again!

• March 26, 2015 at 00:23

I actually buy them at Whole Foods, or on Vitacost.com. They are still not cheap, but I use them for special things :)!

4. Neva
    April 6, 2015 at 16:04

Hi Amy. I made these cookies and they are delicious! I had to add some water to make the crust come together and it worked great. As I didn't have flaxseed, I used chia seeds and they gave some extra crunchiness to the batter. Amazing! But how do you work with the chocolate layer? I used one half of cacao butter in it to make it more chocolatey. It was ok when I put the cookies in the freezer but as soon as I put them out, the chocolate started to melt so it was hard to store them.

• April 6, 2015 at 18:13

Hi Neva, I always store mine in the fridge so that they do not melt, as coconut oil tends to melt quickly at room temperature. If you have cacao butter on hand and would like them to be less melty, you can use all cacao butter next time. I just don't always have it and it is expensive which is why I used coconut oil ;).

5. Gina
    June 23, 2017 at 10:49

Is there something I can replace the buckwheat part with? I don't have a dehydrator at the moment so I wouldn't be able to do that after soaking. I am so excited to make these! Thank you

• June 23, 2017 at 12:36

You could use oats, but they would not be as crispy then. You can dry the buckwheat in your oven at the lowest temperature spread out on a pan. They would not be raw, but they would still taste good and work the same. Just keep in mind they dry a lot faster, like within 4 hours or less so check them often.