Raw Summer Fruit Cream Crepes

I can remember the first time I was exposed to crepes.  It was in highschool French class, and we had a special treat one day, our teacher let us make crepes and we filled them with all sorts of delicious things like chocolate, fruit, whipped cream, nutella...you name it!  I loved them so much I attempted to make them at home, and they were not the prettiest sight the first time, but got the hang of it.

It has been a while since I have made them, because I try not to eat too much flour and sugar lately.  However, I have been seeing many recipes for raw crepes lately and they inspired me to create my own!  I love that you just let the "batter" dry in the dehydrator overnight while you sleep and voila!  Delicious crepes ready to be filled!

I used a banana base for them this time, as it is sweet and neutral.  I have to admit I didn't know what I was going to fill them with at first because there are so many delicious possibilities, but I knew it had to contain cream.  Coconut cream that is!

I thought about chocolate, but then fruit sounded better.  I am the type of person who chooses vanilla over chocolate any day so no surprise there.  For variety, I thought I would make a strawberry basil, blueberry lavender, and peach thyme cream filling.  Three luscious flavor pairings using the fruits and herbs of summer so good right now.

They were delicious!  About 100 times better than I remember crepes tasting.  The fruit and herb combinations were definately a win, and I devoured the plate of heavenly deliciousness in no time.  I can't wait to make more types of raw crepes in the future.  I think I am in love.

Raw Summer Fruit Cream Crepes
Makes enough for one, or to share with a friend

Raw Crepes:
2 bananas
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp agave nectar

Cream:
3/4 cup raw cashew pieces (preferably soaked overnight)
1/2 cup coconut water
3/4 cup fresh young coconut meat* (or additional soaked cashews if not available)
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract and seeds of half a vanilla bean

1/4 cup coconut oil (warmed to liquid)

Fruit:
3/4 cup strawberries, divided
1 tsp lemon juice
a few fresh basil leaves
2 tsp agave nectar

3/4 cup fresh blueberries, divided
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp lavender
2 tsp agave nectar

3/4 cup fresh ripe peaches, diced, divided
1 tsp lemon juice
a few fresh sprigs of thyme
2 tsp agave nectar

Additional basil, thyme and lavender to serve

To make crepes, combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until blended.  Pour into 3 circles on a teflex lined dehydrator sheet, and spread thin.  Dehydrate for about 8 hours or until no longer wet and tacky, but still plyable.  Remove from dehydrator and set aside.
To make cream, drain cashews and blend all ingredients until smooth in a food processor, and set in the freezer about 30 minutes until a frosting consistency. Divide the mixture into 3 bowls, and keep chilled.
To make the fruit sauces, first, puree 1/4 cup strawberries with lemon juice, basil and agave nectar until smooth and set aside. Next, puree 1/4 cup of the blueberries with lemon juice, lavender, and agave nectar until smooth, set aside.  Next, puree 1/4 cup peaches with lemon juice, thyme, and agave nectar.  Add to the first cream bowl, most of the remaining strawberries (reserving the rest for topping) and 1 Tbsp of the puree.  Fold in.  Repeat with the other two bowls using the blueberry and peaches and the sauces (same as you did with the strawberries, most of the remaining fruit and 1 Tbsp sauce each).  To assemble, place a crepe on your work surface then top with the strawberry cream filling.  Roll it up, and place on a serving plate.  Spoon some of the strawberry sauce over.  Do the same with the blueberry cream on the second crepe and drizzle with the blueberry sauce.  Lastly do the same with the peach cream on the third crepe and drizzle with the peaceh sauce.  Garnish the plate with the remaining fruit, and a little basil, thyme and lavender if desired and serve!

• August 15, 2012 at 11:02

Thanks Jessica! The banana was a wonderful light base :)!

1. August 14, 2012 at 13:45

awesome crepes! i love each and every filling - such a wonderful use of summer fruits and herbs! i'll take one of each please :)

• August 15, 2012 at 11:03

Thanks Jenn :)! They were all good, but I think the strawberry was my favorite ;)!

2. August 14, 2012 at 15:35

These are so beautiful Amy! Im sure they're just as tasty as they look. Its been too long since I made banana crepes.

• August 15, 2012 at 11:04

Thanks Heather :)! They were delicious! You have to try some again soon ;)! I am sure you have lots of good crepe recipes!

3. August 15, 2012 at 00:05

I love how you used a lot of different variety of fruits. And bananas as a base. I've never tried crepes yet (don't faint) but they look so delicious. I'm craving fruit right now and need to go pick up some since the kids love it so much, they eat me out of house and home with fruit. Best way to be.<br /><br />-Lisa.<br /><a href="http://www.sweet2eatbaking.com/" rel="nofollow">Sweet 2 Eat Baking</a>

• August 15, 2012 at 11:05

Thanks Lisa :)! Nothing wrong with never trying crepes, although you should in the future if you get the opportunity ;)! I am sure if you made some even of the tradtional kind, they would be lovely!

4. August 15, 2012 at 13:34

I love the idea of using pureed/dehydrated banana for the crepes. So brilliant! Great recipe, Amy :)

• August 15, 2012 at 23:22

Thanks Leanne :)! It has been a raw trick for a long time, but it is new to me ;)! I will definately be experimenting with them more soon!

5. August 15, 2012 at 14:14

I absolutely love love love crepes! I'll take them anyway you want to share them with me! :) Awesome recipe! Where I come from, crepes are called Palachinki, and it is one of the first things every person learns how to make. :)

• August 15, 2012 at 23:23

Thanks Kate :)! That is awesome that everyone learns to make them where you are from! Here, they don't get enough exposure!

• August 15, 2012 at 23:23

Thanks Bibi :)!

6. August 15, 2012 at 18:38

Wow! I love crepes and you've brought them to another level, yum! Thanks for sharing! <br />P.S. I nominated you for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award =] http://www.freespiriteater.com/2012/08/very-inspiring-blogger-award.html

• August 15, 2012 at 23:24

Thanks Kym :)! Thank you also for the award, so sweet of you :)!<br />

7. August 16, 2012 at 01:51

Wow I can't believe that these are raw crepes! This is something very new to me that I'll have to experiment with. Wonderful photos, by the way!

• August 16, 2012 at 02:01

Thanks Anna :)! You should definately try them out!

8. Jane
    August 16, 2012 at 02:03

Woah, these look amazing!<br /><br />Any recommendations for someone who doesn't have a dehydrator? Do you think these would also work using low oven temp?<br /><br />I suppose, however, that might defeat the whole 'not baking during summer' aspect :)<br /><br />Thank you for yet another wonderful recipe - I've been following your blog for quite a while, but never posted. I'm going to be making your raw carrot cheesecake this weekend...can't wait to try it for myself!

• August 17, 2012 at 02:15

Hi Jane! <br />You can technically make it in the oven on the lowest temp setting. Just line some baking sheets (or use silpat mats), and leave the oven door ajar to let the moisture escape. It takes about 4-8 hours depending on the oven. <br />Might want to try it on the cooler days ;)!<br />Thanks so much for following my blog :)! Hope you enjoy the cheesecake and feel free to let me know how it turns out :)!

9. August 16, 2012 at 04:17

it's so hard to believe these are raw crepes with just 3 ingredients! <br />Love the coconut filling, although I'm the kind of girl that chooses chocolate anytime ;)

• August 17, 2012 at 02:17

They could be made with chocolate as well ;)!

10. August 16, 2012 at 10:45

Loving the assortment of fruits you picked for these crepes!

• August 17, 2012 at 02:18

Thank you :)! The strawberry was my favorite though ;)!

11. August 16, 2012 at 17:44

oh wow! those look amazing! i'm gonna have to try this dehydrated banana crepe base. it's genius.

• August 17, 2012 at 02:20

Thanks Sarah! You should, they are wonderful! I wish I could take credit for being the genious that invented them, but the raw food chefs gave me the idea ;)!

12. August 22, 2012 at 22:21

I could do with a plateful of raw crepes right now;) WOW! They look utterly delicious! Now all I need is a dehydrator:(