Raw Strawberry Short Cake

I have been wanting to make raw strawberry shortcake for a few weeks now and finally this weekend I got around to it.  It may not sound all that complicated, simple strawberry short cake, but I wanted mine to be a bit more special and beautiful than that.

I did not simply want two biscuits with cream in the middle and strawberries, I wanted this in larger cake form so I could share it. Also, the cream and berries are my favorite part of strawberry short cake so I wanted plenty of them.  So I decided to make a white cake topped with a layer of strawberry cream then a layer of vanilla cream, plus plenty of fresh berries and sauce.

I have never actually made raw white cake before.  Because it scared me.  As silly as it sounds, I was afraid that it would not turn out as tasty as regular white cake.  I have seen some recipes for it, but they all look way too dense and that is not what I wanted.  I keep my other raw cakes lighter using fruits and veggies, but since this was going to be white vanilla cake I did not want any off flavors or colors, just the sweet white cake.  So, I decided to try using young coconut meat in it to keep it moist and not so heavy.  It turned out perfect!  The batter was so delicious and it seriously tasted like white cake.  It dehydrated nicely as well, and so I will be using the recipe in the future for other desserts.

The cake was the perfect base for the sweet cream layers and berries.  I can honestly say this is hands down the best strawberry shortcake I have ever eaten...and I love strawberry shortcake!  My Mom and boyfriend Eric agreed.  I think this would be a perfect Birthday cake for summer when berries are fresh and local.

Raw Strawberry Short Cake
Makes one 6 inch cake

Cake:
1/2 cup raw almond meal

2 cups raw coconut flour
12 medjool dates, pitted
2 cups coconut meat*
1/4 cup coconut water
2 Tbsp raw coconut nectar

Cream topping:
2 cups raw cashew pieces (preferably soaked overnight)
2 cups fresh young coconut meat (or 1 3/4 cups soaked cashews if coconut meat is unavailable)
1/2 cup coconut water
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp raw coconut nectar, or your choice of raw liquid sweetener
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract and seeds of  a vanilla bean
1/2 cup raw coconut oil (warmed to liquid)
1/2 cup organic strawberries8 organic strawberries halved (or enough to cover the cake layer)

Sauce:
1/2 cup organic strawberries
2 medjool dates

Topping:
8 organic strawberries halved (or enough to cover the top of the cake)

Combine almond flour, coconut flour, sea salt, in a bowl and whisk together until and set aside. To a food processor, add the dates, vanilla, coconut and coconut water, and nectar to the processor and process until pretty smooth. Add the dry ingredients back and process until smooth and well incorporated. Place the batter on a teflex lined dehydrator sheet, in slightly larger than a 6 inch circle and dehydrate for about 8 hours, until dried but still moist in the center. Once dried, trim into a 6 inch circle, place in the bottom of a 6 inch springform pan (greased with coconut oil), and set aside.

To make the cream topping, combine the cashews, coconut, coconut water, coconut nectar, sea salt, vanilla, vanilla bean, and process until smooth.  Add the coconut oil with the processor running to incorporate it completely.  Once blended, remove half the cream mixute and set aside in a bowl.  Add the 1/2 cup strawberries to the remaining cream in the processor and process until smooth and well blended.  Scoop into a bowl.
To assemble the cake, place 8 strawberries (or however many it takes to cover the cake layer) over the cake layer in the prepared pan cut side down.  Pour the strawberry cream over it and smooth it out to the sides.  Pour the vanilla cream over that, and smooth the top to the sides.  Place in the freezer and allow to set until firm, about 3 hours or so.
While setting, make the strawberry sauce.  Combine 1/2 cup strawberries with 2 medjool dates in the food processor and process until smooth.
Once the cake is set, top with the 8 halved strawberries (or however many it takes to cover the cake), and then spoon some of the sauce over.  Serve!

*If you cannot get fresh coconut meat, soak 2 cups dried coconut for 4 hours then drain.  Continue with the cake recipe.

1. April 29, 2013 at 16:05

Absolutely beautiful...you're presentation is flawless every time. Great job as usual :)<br /><br />Happy Blogging!<br /><a href="http://www.happyvalleychow.com/" rel="nofollow">Happy Valley Chow</a>

• April 29, 2013 at 17:48

Thank you so much :)!

April 29, 2013 at 16:32

you create the most beautiful food i've ever seen!!! of course, because the most important ingredient, or absence of ingredient -- no cruelty involved in it's creation!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH for brightening the day with such gorgeousness! <br />

• April 29, 2013 at 17:49

Thank you so much :)! Yes, they are cruelty free and also kinder to your body ;). I am so happy to share with you!

3. April 29, 2013 at 16:33

Looks amazing!! I can't wait to make this!

• April 29, 2013 at 17:49

Thank you :)! I hope you do, I know you will love it!

4. April 29, 2013 at 16:36

٠•●♥❤❁⌒‿⌒❁❤♥●•٠· love it!

• April 29, 2013 at 17:49

So cute! Thank you :)!

5. April 29, 2013 at 17:28

This looks absolutely gorgeous!!! I LOVE strawberries. Back when I was a carnivore, I always wanted to try strawberry short cake. It always sounded so good to me. I never tried it before, but I can imagine your raw vegan version tastes beyond this world. :) Mmm... i bet it smells delicious, too! ;)<br /><br />My birthday is coming up the corner, and I would LOVE to make this. I'm most likely making this some time after my birthday, though. I love the simplicity on all your recipes :) I'll keep you posted on how it turns out. Your blog brightens my day! :-) I am definitely relying on your wonderful recipes for my 16th birthday cake. You are the raw vegan queen of cakes and desserts! Thank you so much for sharing with us!! You totally rock! =) XX

• April 29, 2013 at 17:50

Thanks Miliany :)! This would be way better to try than the classic one. SO much more deapth of flavor plus better for you. Hope you find the perfect dessert for your b-day, I know how that goes. Thank you for your kind words, they always brighten my day :)!

6. April 29, 2013 at 18:43

Im making this asap I kno my fam will luv this !<br />

• April 30, 2013 at 02:37

Awesome! You totally will :)!

7. April 29, 2013 at 20:35

This is freaking amazing Amy! I want a piece of this !!! Yummm :D

• April 30, 2013 at 02:37

Thanks so much Heather :)! Too bad food can't be sent through the computer ;)!

8. April 29, 2013 at 22:22

Amy,<br />Looks fantastic! Thinking about making this one for my son's 1st bday. The 2 cups of coconut meat in the cake did you use fresh young coconuts for that?

• April 30, 2013 at 02:38

Awesome :)! Yes you do. It would make a perfect b-day cake!

9. April 30, 2013 at 01:27

Where do you get coconut nectar from? I have never heard of it?

• April 30, 2013 at 02:38

You can get it at health food stores or order it online from places like Vitacost. It is a low glycemic sweetener made from coconut.

May 1, 2013 at 16:01

How can anyone afford to make this? How many whole coconuts would be needed to get the 4 cups of required meat?

• May 1, 2013 at 23:47

Funny you say that because I can afford to make that and I live on a deli cook's salary which is not much. It took me 4, but I do give you cheaper options in case you can not get fresh meat. Don't be so negative ;).

May 1, 2013 at 16:52

What is a telflex lined dehydrator sheet and where can I find one?

• May 1, 2013 at 23:49

It is a sheet for your dehydrator so your food doesn't fall through. I ordered mine online from Excalibur, but really if you want to do it the easy way you can use a sheet of parchment paper :). Then it is easy clean up.

May 2, 2013 at 23:24

I thought I'd replied, but don't see it...I take it I need a dehydrator to make the cake? Not even knowing what one looks like, I guess I'd better get educated! I really want to try this recipe.

• May 3, 2013 at 00:23

They are important for a lot of raw food recipes. But if you are not looking to go raw, you are welcome to bake the cake in the oven at a very low temp ;).

May 3, 2013 at 14:28

What temp and for how long? Thanks for your help :)

14. May 4, 2013 at 03:16

I am not exactly sure, as I have not tried it in the oven, but place it at the lowest temp, and I would check it after a few hours, as the oven is a lot hotter and cooks differently than a dehydrator.

15. July 27, 2013 at 22:18

Thank you for this recipe :) I just made it and my husband who used to adore strawberry shortcake before he went vegan, loved it.<br />I only made 1/3 of the recipe and I must say that was more than enough for two people. So if anyone thinks the ingredients are expensive (wich they are!) consider a smaller portion. I made the bottom about a quarter of an inch thick and that would easily have covered an 8" inch pan and be enough for 4 or 5 people who just need piece of cake for dessert :)I added a layer of chocolate on top of the crust (made from coconut oil, agave and cocoa powder )<br />

• July 28, 2013 at 15:40

Awesome! So glad you enjoyed it :)! I am glad you made it your own with the chocolate as well, that sounds amazing :)!