Raw Strawberries and Cream Fudge

When I was a kid, my Dad and I used to take a trip up north every year.  There were many places along the way I just had to visit. One of which was a shop that sold many varieties of fudge. There was the usual plain chocolate, chocolate mint, peanut butter chocolate, snickers, turtle, and many other delicious flavors.  I admit, I ate a whole pound in one sitting once.  I know as an adult, it would be way too sugary for me, but the memory of it still remains.

I was thinking about that fudge the other day and I know raw fudge is way more delicious (in my opinion) so I decided that I needed to make some. Not any variety I have ever eaten before though, I thought strawberries and cream fudge sounded pretty amazing.   It was easy to make and it was pretty heavenly once I made it.  This was one of those desserts where I could not stop tasting it as I made it.  The best part is it has few ingredients so it is easy to make!

Raw Strawberries and Cream Fudge
makes about 12 hearts (or 16 squares)

3 cups dried, finely shredded coconut
 1/2 cup coconut nectar
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
4 Tbsp raw macadamia butter or raw almond butter
1 cup fresh organic strawberries

In a blender, grind one cup of the shredded coconut to flour.  Remove and set aside.  Blend the remaining 2 cups of the shredded coconut to coconut butter and set aside.  In a food processor, place the coconut butter, coconut nectar, sea salt, vanilla, almond butter, strawberries and process until smooth. Add the coconut flour and process until well combined.  Spread out onto a piece of tinfoil in a rectangle 1/2 inch thick, and place in the fridge for about an hour to firm up.
Once firm, cut into hearts with a small cookie cutter (or cut into squares).  Store in the fridge.

1. Ellen Lederman
    May 23, 2013 at 11:10

Sounds wonderful. Could liquified coco oil sub for the coconut nectar? (Not sure I've ever seen it.)

• May 23, 2013 at 21:41

Thank you :)! No, because coconut oil is oil and coconut nectar is a sweetener. You can sub agave nectar or maple syrup.

• Ellen Lederman
      June 1, 2013 at 19:09

Thanks! They were excellent. Easy to make, full of flavor, and so rich I just ate one small piece at a time! Not having a cookie cutter, they were not nearly as pretty as yours. I thought I made them the depth of 1/2 inch, but yours look more substantial than mine...don't know whether that's just the photography.

• June 3, 2013 at 02:01

It is the photography ;). So glad you made them and enjoyed them :)!

2. May 23, 2013 at 13:18

Very cool, these sound delicious!<br /><br />Happy Blogging!<br /><a href="http://www.happyvalleychow.com/" rel="nofollow">Happy Valley Chow</a><br />

• May 23, 2013 at 21:41

May 23, 2013 at 18:18

What is coconut nectar?

• May 23, 2013 at 21:41

It is a low glycemic sweetener.

4. May 23, 2013 at 20:09

Coconut nectar is a sweetener made from coconut palms. You can use most liquid sweeteners (honey, agave, etc) to sub.<br /><br />That having been said, this sounds AMAZING, and I am going to make some this weekend. I have been drooling over your blog ever since I found it a month or so ago, and I pretty much want to try everything in it. :) You're very talented!!!

• May 23, 2013 at 21:41

Thank you so much :)! I am glad you are enjoying the blog and recipes.

May 23, 2013 at 23:04

Hi, Amy.<br /><br />Can I use coconut flour in place of the shredded coconut?<br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />-Sue

• May 24, 2013 at 02:48

You can as long as it is not the prepackaged kind that tastes weird (I make it myself because I think some of the commercial ones are not raw and taste different). It may take a different amount of it as well, because you are starting with it more fine than if it were flakes.

6. May 24, 2013 at 15:23

Do you remember the name of the fudge shop your father took you to (or at least the town)? I sort-of collect such places.

• May 24, 2013 at 23:05

I don't unfortunately :(.

7. July 24, 2013 at 17:02

Hi Amy, How much coconut flour do you end up with if you start with 1 cup of shredded coconut? I ask because I'm going to use coconut flour and am trying to work out how much to use. <br /><br />Alternatively what consistancy am I aiming for?<br /><br />Thanks for the great blog!

• July 24, 2013 at 21:41

About a cup honestly (not packed). I would not recommend store bought coconut flour though, it tastes toasted and not as good as if you make it yourself (plus it seems more dry and too fine). The consistency should be kinda like nut butter. You are welcome :)!

August 13, 2013 at 03:14

Hi! These look delicious!!! I was wondering when the coconut butter is added to the mix. Thanks! I cannot wait to try them!

• August 13, 2013 at 21:19

Thank you :)! You add it with all the remaining ingredients and blend it all together.