Raw Rocky Road Mousse Cake

I have never understood those people who feel the need to cast their negativity into other people's lives.  You know, the ones...they are so unhappy with their own lives or insecure that they feel the need to try and make others just as miserable.   I am actually shocked about how much negativity gets posted on Facebook.  I mean, do they really have to post negative comments on other people's stuff?  Does it really make them feel better about themselves?  I think not.  It is unfortunate, and even on my own Facebook page I see it.  I do not tolerate rude un-necessary comments however and I delete them.  If someone thinks my cake is ugly or they do not like the ingredients, that is fine, I am not for everyone to love it (you are entitled to your opinion), but I am asking that people show a little respect for my feelings and keep the negative thoughts to themselves.  I may not agree with what other people post, but I respect their feelings.  I much prefer to only post things when I am going to make someone feel good about themselves and boost their mood. Many of you boost my mood with your beautiful complements and to all of you who are so positive I am grateful.
If everyone had a slice of delicious cake shared with them, maybe they would be in a good mood.  Like this Rocky Road Mousse Cake I made yesterday!  It would make anyone happy, especially a chocolate lover.  Studies have shown, chocolate is a mood booster.
I had made a vegan rocky road tart last year and I thought that a rawified chocolate rocky road cake would be just as wonderful!  I gave it a chocolate mousse base made rich with avocado and coconut, and folded in plenty of nuts, plus raw "marshmallows". Now, I know that they are not real marshmallows, but they worked in this cake perfectly and tasted wonderful, little bites of vanilla surrounded by decadent chocolate.  This was way better than the tart I made last year.

I shared some with my boyfriend Eric, who is a chocolate addict and he much enjoyed it.  This cake and sharing it with someone I love put me in such a good mood.  Honestly, it tastes like bites of heaven. I hope I have boosted your mood and made you happy by sharing the recipe with you!  Hope you all have a wonderful week!

Raw Rocky Road Mousse Cake
Makes one 6 inch cake

Cream topping and marshmallows:
3/4 cup raw cashew pieces (preferably soaked overnight)
1/4 cup coconut water
1 cups fresh young coconut meat (or additional soaked cashews if not available)
3 Tbsp raw coconut nectar
1 teaspoons vanilla and seeds of half a vanilla bean
1/4 cup raw coconut oil (warmed to liquid)
2 Tbsp coconut butter

Crust:
1 cup raw almonds, soaked, skinned and dried
1 cups shredded, dried coconut

1/2 cup sprouted, dried buckwheat (or additional coconut
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
8 soft medjool dates, pitted and chopped

Filling:

1 cup raw cashews (soaked 4 hours at least, drained)
1 cup ripe avocado
1 cup young coconut meat or soaked cashews (drained)
1/4 cup coconut water
1/3 cup plus 1 Tbsp raw coconut nectar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract and seeds from half a vanilla bean (other half reserved for topping)
3/4 cup raw cacao powder
1/4 cup raw coconut oil (warmed to liquid)
1/2 cup chopped raw almonds (soaked and dried)
1/2 cup raw pistachios
1/2 cup raw pecans (soaked and dried)
1/2  cup chopped raw chocolate

To make the topping and "marshmallows", combine the cashews, coconut, coconut water, sea salt, coconut nectar, and vanilla and process until smooth. Add the coconut oil slowly with the motor running (If the mixture starts to separate and clump, the filling is too cold to emulsify the oil, so warm some of it and process again). Divide in half, placing half in a bowl keep half  in the processor.  To the half in the processor, add the coconut butter and process until well combined.  Spread the half with the coconut butter out on a piece of foil about 1/2 inch thick.  Place the bowl and foil in the freezer, the frosting for about 30-45 minutes until it firms up to frosting consistency and the "marshmallows" on the foil until they are hard enough to cut into marshmallows (about an hour). Once the frosting is frosting consistency, move to the fridge until ready to use.  Once the marshmallows have hardened enough to cut, cut into small marshmallow sized pieced with a knife, and keep in the freezer until ready to use.
 Meanwhile, for the crust, combine the almonds, coconut, and buckwheat in a food processor and process until crumbs. Add the sea salt and dates and process until the mixture starts to come together when squeezed. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 6 inch springform pan, sprayed with non-stick coconut oil spray. Place in the freezer while you prepare the filling.
For the filling, combine cashews, coconut,  avocado, coconut nectar, sea salt, vanilla and cacao powder in a food processor and process until smooth. With the motor running, slowly add the coconut oil and process for a minute. Stir in marshmallows, nuts and coconut.  Pour into the prepared crust, and place in the freezer to firm up, about 2-3 hours or so.
Once the filling has set, place the topping in a pastry bag and pipe decoratively around the edges of  the cake. Serve! Store extra in the fridge.

1. February 17, 2013 at 16:51

this is gorgeous! anyone who would post negatively about your recipes is crazy because they all look great

• February 17, 2013 at 21:29

Thanks so much :)!

2. February 17, 2013 at 16:59

Looks awesome! I love your creative recipes and everything you post! :-)<br />

• February 17, 2013 at 21:29

3. February 17, 2013 at 17:07

I have never understood why folks feel the need to be so rude sometimes. It's so silly and pointless. <br />This cake is beautiful! You're always a burst of positivity, and I enjoy it a lot.

• February 17, 2013 at 21:30

Exactly! Thank you so much, I try :)!

February 17, 2013 at 17:15

I had the same experience from a drama queen. They lash out at others to make themselves feel IMPORTANT. You are so wonderful. I watch every day to see what you have next for us. There are quite a few nasty snippety people out thee. And I hope you don't let then get you down. Do as I did. Don't let then post on your wall any more then they can not hurt you again.

• February 17, 2013 at 21:31

Thank you so much :)! I am happy to share with you all and try to keep it interesting ;). They don't deserve to post on my wall ;).

5. February 17, 2013 at 17:17

The cake looks wonderful, Amy! I never pay attention to negative comments, my motto has always been make people talk behind your back because if you are the best that you can be, someone will be jealous about it. So, who cares! We love you and your recipes!

• February 17, 2013 at 21:32

Thank you Alex :)! Exactly! I am happy you enjoy my recipes, you are one of the people that makes me forget about the negative ones!

6. February 17, 2013 at 18:19

Sorry to hear about the nastiness and negativity you've experienced on FB :( oh goodness, I've been there too, and I'll never understand it either. Whatever happened to "If you don't have something nice to say..."?<br />This cake looks outrageously good! I can't imagine anyone not being in awe of it. :) Love the sound of those yummy little marshmallows especially.

• February 17, 2013 at 21:33

Exactly! I wish they would keep it in ;). I am sure you know what I mean since you have a popular page and there are always a few negative nellies. Thank you so much :)! The marshmallows were my favorite part ;).

7. February 17, 2013 at 18:22

I don't tend to post comments on your blog but do save just about every single recipe that you post because they are all amazing. I have to comment on this post because it is completely awesome! Where do you come up with these brilliant ideas! Surely you should be working as a vegan chef (if you aren't already)! Absolutely scrumptious looking and something that I will be test driving on my daughters stat! :)

• February 17, 2013 at 21:43

I am so happy that you enjoy them enough to save them :)! Thanks so much for your kind words! I just make what sounds good to me...I spend a lot of time daydreaming ;). I work as a cook in a deli actually but don't make desserts haha. Funny how that works. Hope you do try it out, and if you do let me know what you think! Have a wonderful rest of the weekend!

8. February 17, 2013 at 19:12

love it so much ❤ simply wonderful

• February 17, 2013 at 21:33

9. Andréa
    February 17, 2013 at 19:16

Looks great! Can't wait to try it!

• February 17, 2013 at 21:33

10. February 17, 2013 at 19:47

I am with you, I don't know why some people need to be so mean. I like posting cheerful things on facebook because there is enough negativity already to go around. On that note, your cake looks delicious and super pretty :)

• February 17, 2013 at 21:34

Thanks Vicki :)! I always enjoy your kind words! Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

11. February 17, 2013 at 21:03

I need to try and make this with no coconut....allergic to coconut

• February 17, 2013 at 21:35

Replace it with additional cashews in the topping or avocado in the case of the filling (or cashews work in the filling if you do not want to do avocado). It works just as well!

February 17, 2013 at 21:45

Yes all your recipes ook great Amy ! You can be proud of yourself ! I wish I was there to taste evrything you do and to cook with you ! <br /><br />All the best from Corinne in France !!!

• February 18, 2013 at 03:48

Thanks Corinne :)!

13. Sunnie
    February 18, 2013 at 00:46

Amy, anyone who can even dare to post negatively about your AMAZING recipes is so full of jealousy that they'll soon drown in it.<br /><br />I haven't had the chance to make very many of your recipes, but your creativity BEAUTIFUL and INSPIRING to me. Literally, the things you make are ART. <br /><br />Anyways, I feel the need to ask: ARE YOU GOING TO OPEN UP YOUR OWN VEGAN "BAKERY" (or raw-ery. cheesecakery? whatever it'd be called)??? :D If yes, I will certainly drive through a couple states to find it! If not . . . I'll just make some more time in my life to *FINALLY* make one of your beautiful cheesecakes. :)

• February 18, 2013 at 03:49

Thanks so much Sunnie :)! You are too kind, and I appriciate all of your comments as they make me happy to read. I think I will settle for writing a book first, maybe someday ;)!

• February 18, 2013 at 18:32

One step at a time. Kind of like losing weight. haha My buddy works with a guy who is vegan and over 400 lbs. When it comes down to it, vegan eating can be awesome... but the simple truth is, fewer calories in the tank than you're burning and you'll lose weight. I'm looking forward to sharing this (and many of your recipes) with my wife as we continue to lose weight. Sensible eating with treats like this from time to time will hopefully be a great way to help her (and myself from time to time) find enjoyment in our new found ways of healthy eating. I don't know if an 'raw-ery' like this would be good for us or not... we might be there a lot if they only had amazing recipes. Either way, thanks so much for sharing this! Looks great!

• February 19, 2013 at 04:30

Happy that I can help you out :)! Everyone needs something sweet once in a while, and better if it is real food ;).

14. February 18, 2013 at 18:08

Beautiful! Looks delicious! I don't let negativity get to me. I ignore it. Figure it's their problem, not mine. :)

• February 19, 2013 at 04:27

Thank you :)! I couldn't agree more!

February 18, 2013 at 18:20

Looks divine got to try this one. Thank you for sharing and ignore the negativity. :)

• February 19, 2013 at 04:27

16. February 18, 2013 at 18:27

This looks great! My wife has now also started to eat move 'clean' and healthy! She at times wants to have real food and to enjoy eating a bit more than just fruits and vegetables. I'm hoping this will be something that she will love! Thanks for sharing!

• February 19, 2013 at 04:28

Thank you :)! I am happy to share! Glad to hear you two are eating healthy!

February 18, 2013 at 22:31

Amy~Your recipes and photos are wonderful and inspiring! It helps to get inspired while eating raw/vegan because so much of the world around us is not eating that way...yet! Thank you and please don't let the negative people get you down.<br />

• February 19, 2013 at 04:29

Thank you so much :)! I am glad I inspire, makes me happy to hear that!

February 19, 2013 at 05:45

hi, Amy! At what point you're adding an avocado in the filling? This part is missing from the recipe.... <br /><br /><br />we already made crust, it's in freezer, my soon to be 4yo daughter is insisting to make this cake for her birthday :)

• February 19, 2013 at 13:05

With the coconut and cashews. I fixed the recipe. Sometimes I typt too fast and miss something I guess ;). Happy you are making the cake :)!

19. February 19, 2013 at 10:53

I wish you were Brazilian and had a shop here, I would be your number one customer!!<br />

• February 19, 2013 at 13:06

Thank you :)! I wish I were too, it would be so much warmer in Brazil than it is in Minnesota right now ;).

20. February 19, 2013 at 15:29

Wow! I think all your postings/recipes are amazing, especially the desserts. When you said some people don't like your ingredients, I remember sending you a note a few weeks ago. I was asking if you had ever experimented with dried fruit mixed with dates as a crust. I was just curious, knowing if anyone would know how this type of crust might hold up/turn out, you would. I wasn't intending to be rude or hateful...just curious really, so I hope you weren't offended at all. It wasn't my intention to attack you.

• February 20, 2013 at 00:06

Thank you so much :)! I was not offended by that comment at all! It is more the ones by people that are like "that cake looks gross" or they go on health rants about why dessert should not be consumed. You know? I think that you should try out the crust idea if you think it would suit your tastes :)! I always experiment with things that I think will be good and usually they turn out. I do not see why the fruit wouldn't hold up, fruit leather does right?

21. Wendy
    February 19, 2013 at 22:50

Spectacular! My kids are so going to worship you for this one! Thanks for sharing :0)

• February 20, 2013 at 00:06

Haha Thanks Wendy :)! I am happy to share with you!

22. February 25, 2013 at 21:03

OK, I am officially going to have to limit myself to looking at your blog for only 5 minutes at a time, lest I end up making/eating 8,000 raw desserts on my break. <br /><br />Great stuff. Love this. Thank you.

• February 26, 2013 at 02:08

Haha! I suppose it could make you hungry, it makes me wish I still had some sometimes ;). Thank you :)!

October 9, 2013 at 15:42

Very well said for the above..unfortunately we live in a society that has license to everything these days...seems that the moral values our forebearers cherished are no longer of "value" today...I for one hugely appreciate your recipes and THEY ARE YUMMY! Thanks for sharing and God bless!<br />Jackie, Montreal,QC, Canada

• October 11, 2013 at 00:10

Thank you :). I am happy you enjoy my recipes, and hearing that makes my day!