Raw Pumpkin Spice Oat Bagels with Maple Cinnamon Cream Cheese

Since the weather is getting a bit chillier lately, I am in the mood for all things pumpkin and spice. The I have lots of pumpkin desserts I want to make, but for now, I wanted to try making some pumpkin spice bagels.  I have wanted to try making raw bagels for a while now, and it was finally time I decided!  I wanted something not too sweet, that could be passed off as breakfast or a snack, and bagels fit into that category.

I made them with raw oats for a sweet flavor and a bit of texture, plus plenty of spice, which is how I like my pumpkin desserts.  I added in some currants because it seemed right to do so.  Although they required a bit of dehydration it was worth it in the end. They smelled amazing as they were drying, as well as when I woke up the next morning to the heavenly pumpkin spice aroma.

But what is a bagel without cream cheese?  At least that is how I feel. So I made some raw coconut based maple cinnamon cream cheese to spread over them.  Pure deliciousness!  This is the perfect treat to enjoy on a Saturday morning!

Raw Pumpkin Spice Oat Bagels

1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 cup chopped pumpkin
1/2 cup chopped apple
1/2 cup raw coconut nectar
1/4 cup filtered water

3/4 cup dried currants
To make the dough, buzz the oat flour, flax, psyllium husk, dates, spices, and salt in a food processor until fine.  Pour into a bowl.  Add the remaining ingredients to the processor (except the currants) and process until smooth.  Add the flour mixture back to the processor and pulse until well combined (but don't over mix it or it will become tough).  Shape the dough into 4 bagels, and place on a lined dehydrator tray.  Dehydrate for 8-10 hours at 115F until firm, but still a little soft.

Maple Cinnamon Cream Cheese
Makes about 2 cups

2 cups fresh young coconut meat*

1/4 cup coconut water
1/4 cup raw coconut nectar, or your choice of raw liquid sweetener
1 tsp cider vinegar
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract and seeds of  a vanilla bean

1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp maple extract
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp  raw coconut butter (warmed to liquid)

To make the cream cheese, combine the coconut, coconut water, coconut nectar, sea salt, cider vinegar, vanilla, vanilla bean, cinnamon, and maple, and process until smooth.  Add the coconut butter with the processor running to incorporate it completely.  Once blended, scoop into a bowl, and place in the freezer for about 45 minutes to an hour until it reaches the consistency of cream cheese.

1. September 22, 2014 at 14:49

Oh yummy!!! Just what I've been looking for :) Thank you!<br /><br />Question: Is there any way that you can put the item's name of what you are making in the Subject Line of the emails you send out? That way I can quickly search my email subject lines for items you've made instead of opening up the emails? Love your emails! :)

• September 22, 2014 at 16:52

You are welcome :)! Happy they are what you were looking for! Unfortunately, I have no control over what is e-mailed out, it is automatically sent every time I publish a post.

2. September 22, 2014 at 15:34

It was nice to come in from a nice morning walk, to be greeted by THIS post (after a little exploring). Fall is definitely in the air, here in Pennsylvania--I'm pretty sure it is actually the FIRST day of fall, but let me check on that.... Yesterday, it was almost 85 degrees...but, somehow magically the temperature dropped a good 20-25 degrees today. There was a cool fall-like breeze this morning. You can't beat it.<br /><br />These pumpkin bagels look great! I bet they were delicious...Thanks for sharing!

• September 22, 2014 at 16:53

The temperature has been like that in MN too. It is the first day of Autumn, at 9:30 tonight I believe :)! Thank you, I am always happy to share!

September 22, 2014 at 18:01

These look great! Can't wait to make them. Do you think I could replace the oat flour with buckwheat flour?<br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br />Katie

• September 22, 2014 at 18:21

Thank you :)! Yes you can!

4. September 22, 2014 at 20:36

What a fun idea! I haven't had a bagel in years but I'm sure I'd love your raw version.<br />Do you think anything else would work in place of the pumpkin? Maybe butternut squash or sweet potato? Or even carrot? <br />Thanks in advance.

• September 22, 2014 at 23:39

Thank you :)! I hadn't either, but it just sounded good at the time ;). Definitely! You can use any of those things and everyone who tastes it will be none the wiser. I sub them in all the time for pumpkin interchangeably. Carrot is of course the easiest, because I don't always want to deal with a whole squash.

• September 23, 2014 at 11:18

Brilliant. So pleased to hear that! I'm definitely trying these soon :D

5. September 23, 2014 at 04:35

Where did u fid maple extract?? What brand?? Ive looked at a few stores for it but havent had any luck!

• September 23, 2014 at 14:09

I get it at the health food store I work at, or off of Vitacost. There are a couple different brands, I usually buy frontier alcohol free.

6. September 28, 2014 at 05:17

Hi Amy Can you tell me what you do with your vanilla pods after you have scraped out the seeds please. Can you use them or do you have to throw them away? I know people put them in sugar jars but I don't use sugar. Thanks. PS I made your Pumpkin spice bars this morning. Delicious!

• September 28, 2014 at 12:51

Honestly, I throw the pods in my cheesecake filling, and they blend up really well since I use a Vitamix, giving the cakes amazing vanilla flavor. But if you don't have a powerful enough blender, I would suggest drying them out, then grinding them in a spice grinder for vanilla powder!

• September 29, 2014 at 08:05

Great! I didn't want to waste them. I'll do both I think as I have seen recipes with vanilla powder too but haven't seen it in NZ. I'm going to try to make something sweet once a week. I have to get more organised and also convert my friends and family. <br />Have a great week :)<br />

• October 1, 2014 at 20:32

You as well :)!

7. Ale
    March 22, 2015 at 17:26

Hello, just found your delicious website. Do you have an idea of the temperature and times for oven drying? Not sure my dehydrator can do it. Thanks!

• March 22, 2015 at 17:55

Always 115F to maintain raw temperatures. The times very by recipe, and they are all listed in the recipe.

8. Rhondy
    January 27, 2016 at 05:39

Hello Amie, Love your site. Your talent and creativity is astonishing. Would you please tell me how you shaped the bagels. This recipe seems perfect only I am not sure how to make the actual bagel shapes. I have made several of your recipes: a carrot cake granola and your sweet potato pie. Both turned out absolutely fabulous. The flavor of the sweet potato pie was spot on. Thank you for sharing your gift.

• January 27, 2016 at 23:40

Thank you. You shape them like doughnuts. If you ever played with play dough as a kid, it is like that. Form a ball, poke a hole in the middle, and shape into a bagel.