Raw Monster Coconut Oatmeal Cookie Sandwiches

When I was in middle school, my Mom always put some sort of Little Debbie dessert in my lunch.  I know...they are horrible, but thank goodness our nutritional views have since changes.  I loved the cakes, but most of all, I loved the oatmeal cream pies.  There was something about the sweet, chewy, oatmeal cookies with the fluffy filling that I just looked forward to indulging in.

I can honestly say that I haven't had one since probably middle school, but the memory of the sweet treats still remains.  I was thinking about them last week when I was off in my own little world chopping veggies for a salad at work, and I thought, why not make some rawified ones?

After all, I have been wanting to try making raw oatmeal cookies anyhow, and they were sounding better and better the more I thought about it.  I always have plenty of sprouted oats on hand since I eat them for breakfast every morning so it would be easy to make them.  I admit I embellished them a little though, making raw coconut oatmeal cookies and drizzling them with chocolate before filling them with the raw coconut cream.  They were monsters...huge cookies, almost a meal in and of themselves, but they were wonderful.  Way better than those ones I had as a kid.  I love revamping childhood faves!

Raw Monster Coconut Oatmeal Cookie Sandwiches

Raw Chocolate:
1/2 cup raw cacao powder
1/2 cup raw coconut oil, warmed to liquid
1/4 cup raw coconut nectar
a pinch sea salt

Cream filling:
3/4 cup raw cashew pieces (preferably soaked overnight)
1/4 cup coconut water
1 cups fresh young coconut meat (or additional soaked cashews if not available)
3 Tbsp raw coconut nectar

1 teaspoons vanilla and seeds of half a vanilla bean

1/4 cup raw coconut oil (warmed to liquid)

For the cookies, combine the sprouted oat flour, coconut flour, cinnamon, sea salt, and dates in the food processor and process until dates are finely ground.

To make the filling, combine the cashews, coconut, coconut water, sea salt, coconut nectar, and vanilla and process until smooth. Add the coconut oil slowly with the motor running (If the mixture starts to separate and clump, the filling is too cold to emulsify the oil, so warm some of it and process again) until smooth. place in a bowl and put in the freezer, for about 30-45 minutes until it firms up to frosting consistency.  Add the coconut nectar, banana, vanilla and 2 cups of the sprouted oats and process until smooth.  Remove from the food processor and stir in remaining sprouted oats, and shredded coconut until well combined and evenly distributed.  Roll dough into 16 balls, and place on a dehydrator sheet.  Flatten to 1/2 inch thick to form cookies.  Dehydrate for 12 hours or until dried, but still soft in the center.  If you do not have a dehydrator you can use the oven, just bake on the lowest temperature and check after a few hours, as they cook faster.
To make the chocolate, whisk together all ingredients until smooth and let sit a few minutes to thicken. Place in a plastic bag and cut the end off.  Drizzle over cookies crosswise both ways, then place them in the freezer to set the chocolate.
Meanwhile, to make the cream, combine all ingredients except the coconut oil in the food processor and process until very smooth.  With the motor running, add the coconut oil slowly (to incorporate it evenly.  if the mixture appears to be separating, warm some of it and add it back in).  Place the mixture in the freezer and chill until firmed up to frosting consistency (about 30 minutes to an hour).  Once chilled, spread onto half the cookies and top with the other cookies.  Place in the fridge for a few hours, and enjoy!

*For sprouted oats, soak raw oat groats for 8 hours, then rinse and drain well and place in a large glass jar covered with mesh or cheesecloth (to allow the oats to breath).  Place in a lit area (but not in direct sunlight) and allow oats to sprout for 2-3 days, rinsing and draining well twice a day.  For sprouted oat flour, simply dehydrate the sprouted oats until dry.
**For coconut flour, put shredded coconut in a high speed blender or food processor until finely ground (but not too long or you will make butter).

1. February 28, 2013 at 14:55

Those look amazing! Ahhh, nostalgia - the Nutty Bars were my favorite, I ate them all the time. Maybe you can try recreating those?!

• February 28, 2013 at 22:43

Thanks so much :)! I have never tried those, I will have to look them up!

2. February 28, 2013 at 15:23

i don't think i ever had little debbie snacks, we were always a tasty kakes family. still horrible, i know. but they didn't have oatmeal sandwich cookies, which makes me believe i was totally missing out. <br /><br />your rawified version looks a billion times better than any prepackaged snack in the store. so delicious, but so full of healthy ingredients that it is totally justifiable as a meal.

• February 28, 2013 at 22:45

Haha I think we all ate a lot of bad stuff as kids ;). You were totally missing out ;). <br />Thanks so much Caitlin :)! I agree with you completely!

3. February 28, 2013 at 15:46

I also ate way too many little debbie treats growing up! This looks far better though...and so much healthier too! I've just finished breakfast (and I'm already hungry again!) Thank you for sharing, sweet friend! I hope you are having a warm end to your week.

• February 28, 2013 at 22:46

Haha I think we all did ;). Thanks so much Monet! It is finally warmer here in MN which I am happy about! Hope spring comes soon in CO for you too :)!

February 28, 2013 at 18:12

PLEASE tell me you sell these things! I would like today's <br /> Raw Monster Coconut Oatmeal Cookie Sandwiches,<br /> Raw Banana Macadamia Coconut Dream Pie,<br />And my all-time favorite: <br />Raw Blackberry Lemon Lavender Cheesecake please!!

• February 28, 2013 at 22:46

Unfortunately I do not. Which is why I share the recipes so others can experience them too :).

5. February 28, 2013 at 19:52

These look wonderful, I would love to make them however where do you find raw oats to sprout and make into flour? All the oat groats that I have come across have been pasteurized.

• February 28, 2013 at 22:48

Thank you :)! I buy them at the health food store that I work at actually. There are also some online stores that sell them.

6. February 28, 2013 at 23:15

OMG! These look crazy good Amy!!! I would loooove to sink my teeth into one of them. Yum!

• March 1, 2013 at 02:13

Thanks so much Heather :)! Wish I could send one through the comp. to you ;)!

7. March 1, 2013 at 01:50

Wow Amy, this looks delicious! Gosh, I wish I could snap my fingers & these goodness would be right here in front of me. I should really make this soon! Thanks for another rawific recipe Amy! Keep it comin'! :) xoxo

• March 1, 2013 at 02:14

Thanks Miliany :)! You definately should try it, if not the whole sandwich, at least the cookies ;)! I sure will, I love to create deliciousness :)!

8. Monymonymaree
    March 4, 2013 at 12:48

Hey Amy, all of your recipes are absolutly amazing! Just wondering if i could use normal organic rolled oats? what would the difference in the final product be?

• March 5, 2013 at 03:02

Thank you :)! I am not sure, you could try it. It might be a little dryer though because the oats are not dried in mine, just sprouted.

• March 10, 2013 at 20:28

Thanks Michael :)!

9. August 19, 2013 at 20:18

i loved those oatmeal cream pies too! these look amazing!!!

• August 20, 2013 at 00:29