Raw Double Twix Bars

I loved caramel and chocolate when I was little so along with all of the other chocolate candy I received in my Halloween pumpkin I got excited about Twix. I actually loved the peanut butter variety as well, and always thought they would be good combined into one candy.  Chocolate, peanut butter, gooey caramel, and crunchy cookie deliciousness.  Which is why I decided to rawify them so I could taste all the flavors together.

I have to admit, these were a bit putzy to make, but I ended up making 20 so it was well worth it.  These were slightly less sweet than the commercial are I am sure because I did not sweeten the peanut butter figuring the caramel was sweet enough.

They turned out way better than I remember the commercial Twix tasting as a kid! I call these double Twix bars because they are a combination of my two favorite Twix flavors.  I am surprised nobody else ever thought to combine them, it was a pretty awesome idea. If you make these and don't want them to be so putzy and do not mind that they are not shaped like twix, you can cut them in little squares and they will be easier to handle when dipping.

Raw Double Twix Bars
Makes 20

Crust:

1 cups finely shredded dried coconut
1 cups sprouted, dehydrated buckwheat (or additional coconut)
3/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup medjool dates, pitted

3/4 cup raw peanut butter

Raw Caramel:
1 cup soft medjool dates, pitted (soaked in water for 30 minutes if not soft and drained well)
3 Tbsp
raw coconut butter
3 Tbsp maple syrup or raw coconut nectar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp maple extract
1-2 Tbsp filtered water as needed

"Milk"chocolate:
1/3 cup raw coconut oil, warmed to liquid

1/4 cup raw coconut butter
3/4 cup raw cacao powder
1/2 cup raw coconut nectar or maple syrup
a pinch sea salt

To make the crust, combine all the ingredients in a food processor and process until finely chopped and starting to hold together. Press the mixture into a 1/4 inch thick square on foil lined pan.  Spread the peanut butter over it and set  aside in the fridge.
To make the caramel, combine all ingredients except water in a food processor and process until smooth (adding the water only if the mixture is too thick). Spread over the peanut butter and chill for about an hour.
Cut into twix sized rectangles.  They are a little sticky, so wipe your knife each time you make a cut to get a cleaner look.
To make the chocolate, whisk together all ingredients until smooth in a small bowl (it should submerge them, if not you can use a spoon to help cover them in chocolate by spooning it over).  Dip each bar into the chocolate carefully (I used a fork to submerge them), then allow excess to drain off and place on a foil lined pan.  Once they are all dipped, place in the freezer to harden, for about 10 minutes.  Store in the fridge.

1. October 24, 2013 at 13:24

These look so awesome... For a Twix fanatic, I am in love... What are some of the good substitutes for medjool dates, raw coconut nectar and ground flaxseed? We don't have that here :( A lot of natural products in other Western countries are not accessible here in the Philippines or are too expensive. Any tips would be appreciated. Thank you so much for sharing this! #twixheaven #wearepracticalmoms

• October 25, 2013 at 00:32

Thank you so much :)! Unfortunately there is not a good sub for the dates, since nothing tastes as caramelly or has the texture. The coconut nectar can be subbed with any liquid sweetener like raw honey or maple syrup. The flaxseed can be subbed with additional coconut. You are so welcome, I am always happy to share!

2. Veronica
    October 24, 2013 at 18:49

Hi Amy,<br /><br />Your Twix bars sound delicious! I love that you make you own raw twist on traditional sweets!<br /><br />My aunt and uncle used to bring me large 'strawberry sauce' & vanilla custard filled chocolate treats from a chocolate shop in Holland. I found them so unbelievebly delicious! Now that I try to stay away from sugary unnatural sweets, I don't eat them anymore, and when I tried them the last time I didn't even care for them. But the memory of how much I used to love to take that first, yummy bite is still there and I think that there must be a way to create a raw, healthy version of those chocolates; with their filling of strawberry curd/sauce and vanilla cream, but I am not sure how to. I think that a cashew based vanilla cream might be too 'sticky' and we don't have young coconuts here where I live, but maybe the creamy part of canned coconut milk might work? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated, I believe that if anyone can pull it off it is you.

• October 25, 2013 at 00:33

Thank you :)! I have actually made truffles that are on this blog that sound similar to the ones you are describing. You can use cashew cream, you just need to not add too much liquid to it, and pipe it into mounds on a lined sheet then freeze it until hard before dipping into the chocolate.

• Veronica
      October 25, 2013 at 14:12

You mean the Rasberry rose Cream Truffles? They look really yummy and I have them on my to-'bake' list! :) <br /><br />The ones I am talking about are layered though.. I think I will have to use molds and start with the chocolate coating, freeze for a bit, fill them with a vanilla layer, freeze, add a jam layer and then complete with chocolate coating. Now I just have to find out how to make the vanilla cream.. :D

3. hanna
    October 24, 2013 at 20:24

Hello,<br /><br /> live in France and I discovered your blog for some time.<br />I've tried several of your recipes without leaving comments ...<br />Today it's time to say a big thank you because you regale us your recipes are a great success and I've never been disappointed!<br />Thank you again for all this sharing

• October 25, 2013 at 00:34

Thank you for leaving a comment this time, you have made my day :)! I am happy you are enjoying the recipes and making them. You are so welcome, I am always happy to share!

October 24, 2013 at 23:45

O...M...G.<br /><br />That is all.

• October 25, 2013 at 00:34

5. October 25, 2013 at 09:08

This comment has been removed by the author.

6. October 25, 2013 at 19:24

Wow these look amazing Amy! I bet using the coconut butter for the chocolate coating makes it super creamy :)<br />We never had all these fancy varieties of chocolate bars over here- just standard Twix bars!

• October 28, 2013 at 05:01

Thank you :)! It makes it more like milk chocolate.

7. Veronica
    December 22, 2013 at 14:46

I made these yesterday without the peanut butter and Mmmm.. delicious!! I used chia seeds instead of flax seeds but forgot to grind them so the crust turned out a little crunchy and did not hold together that well but still delicious! Oh and the chocolate coating tasted like chocolate fudge! Yum!!

• December 22, 2013 at 18:00

Awesome! I am so happy you tried them :)!