Raw Chocolate and Vanilla Raspberry Swirl Cheesecake

I buy a lot of whole vanilla beans for all of the raw desserts I make, as nothing else compares to their flavor, but one particular time I bought a bag is one of the best memories I have in the past year.  I had bagged up my vanilla beans from the bulk section of the store, and I walked up to the first free cashier who happened to be a very attractive guy.  He said hello, picked up the bag of beans, tried punching in the number for them which was not appearing to work.  He smiled and asked me how much they were and I told him $2 each.  He then punched in $2 and started to continue with the rest of my purchases. I realized that he just sold me $18 worth of vanilla beans for $2, and I told him he had made a mistake.  Looking a little embarrassed, he fixed it and told me it was only his third day at work. We laughed and I left the store, thinking about the guy with the cute smile who tried to give me a heck of a deal.  Turns out that today that guy is my boyfriend Eric, and we always laugh about the day we met and how he tried to give me a heck of a deal on vanilla beans.

He is a wonderful person, and I am so grateful to have gone through his register that day and met him.  This weekend I decided to make a cake for us to share in the spirit of Valentine's day (even if we are not celebrating it until later in the week).

I thought I would make a chocolate and vanilla raspberry swirl cake.  He loves chocolate, and I think he would put it on just about anything, and I myself am a vanilla sort of girl.

It works, we balance each other out when it comes to flavors and life.  When I told him my idea for a cheesecake, he got excited and said, why don't you make hearts on the top with the swirls?  I told him that might be difficult, but I think they kinda did look like hearts!

I made a crunchy chocolate crust, chocolate, raspberry cream and vanillla fillings plus raspberry swirl to top it and it turned out pretty delicious!  It was heavenly, and the perfect dessert for a chocolate lover and vanilla lover to share and both be happy.

Eric is my number one taste tester and he is such a good sport trying EVERYTHING I make.  Not that it is a hard job for him, he has such a sweet tooth.  Dessert always tastes better when shared with someone you love, and we both loved it!  Hope you all have a wonderful Valentine's day week!

Raw Chocolate and Vanilla Raspberry Swirl Cheesecake
Makes one 6 inch cheesecake

Crust:
1/2  cup pecans, soaked and dried

1/2 cup sprouted buckwheat, dried in the dehydrator (or additional pecans)
1/2 cup shredded dried unsweetened coconut
2 Tbsp raw cacao powder
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
10-12 soft medjool dates, pitted and chopped
Filling:
2 cups young coconut meat (or 2 cups soaked cashews, drained)
1 1/2 cups raw cashews (soaked at least 4 hours and drained)
1/2 cup coconut water (or filtered water)
1/2 cup raw coconut  nectar
1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp coconut oil (warmed to liquid)
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract and seeds from half a vanilla bean (other half reserved for topping)
1/4 cup fresh organic raspberries (or frozen and thawed, drained well)
3 Tbsp raw cacao powder
Swirl:
1/4 cup fresh organic raspberries (or frozen and thawed, drained well)
1 Tbsp raw coconut nectar
Lightly coat a 6 inch spring form removable bottom pans with coconut oil. To prepare the crust, process pecans, buckwheat, cacao powder and sea salt in a food processor until the pecans are fine crumbs, then add the dates and process until the mixture holds together when squeezed between your fingers (if not holding together, add more dates). Firmly press crust into the bottom of the prepared pan, and set aside.
To make the filling, drain the cashews and combine them with coconut water, agave nectar,sea salt and vanilla in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. With the processor running, add the coconut oil, and process for a minute until blended.  Remove the filling from the food processor, and divide into 3 bowls. Add one back to the food processor and add the 1/4 cup raspberries.  Process until smooth and scrape back into the bowl. Add the second bowl of plain filling to the food processor and add cacao powder. Process until well blended and scrape back into the bowl.
For the raspberry swirl, puree the 1/4 cup of raspberries with 1 Tbsp coconut nectar.

To assemble cheesecake, drop half the filling by the Tbspful over the crust randomly alternating between the 3 flavors, raspberry, chocolate and vanilla.  Drop 1/2 the raspberry puree mixture by the 1/2 tspful over the filling in the pan, then drop the remaining cheesecake fillings over it by the Tbspful randomly to fill the pan.  Tap lightly on the counter to level, then drop the remaining raspberry puree by the 1/2 tspful over the top.  Swirl with a knife or a thin stick, and place in the freezer for about 4-6 hours to firm up. Once set, serve! Store remaining cheesecake in the fridge.

1. February 10, 2013 at 16:55

Oh wow, this sure does look delicious! My boyfriend's birthday comes in the end of the next week and I just may do something like that for him. :) The problem is I can't do such good swirls like you do - I've tried last time, but I guess my filling was too liquid so you couldn't see colours so nice like they are in your cakes. :( Maybe it works this time ... :) Have nice Valentine's day! You two look so lovely together - stay in <3 ! ;)

• February 10, 2013 at 19:46

Thanks so much Darja :)! You totally should! The swirls are not that difficult, if you are careful it should turn out. Or, if you like, you could layer the colors instead. I hope you have a wonderful V-day as well :)! Thank you :)!

2. February 10, 2013 at 18:31

Beautiful! I wish I could taste it! I love your work!

• February 10, 2013 at 19:47

Thank so much :)! Too bad I can't send a piece through the computer to you ;)!

3. February 10, 2013 at 19:51

What a lovely story! Your valentine's cake looks beautiful too, so cute that you combined your 2 faves, and the raspberry swirls definitely look like hearts to me :)

• February 11, 2013 at 12:05

Thank youso much :)! Nice that they turned out to look like hearts anyhow ;)!

4. February 10, 2013 at 20:03

Ugghhh I need to stop following your blog! Everything always looks so delicious. Thanks again for sharing :)<br /><br />Happy Blogging!<br /><a href="http://www.happyvalleychow.com/" rel="nofollow">Happy Valley Chow</a><br />

• February 11, 2013 at 12:05

Haha thank you :)!

5. February 10, 2013 at 23:09

Before I read the post I thought to myself "How creative! They look like hearts on top of the cake!" <br />Well done, this looks wonderful!

• February 11, 2013 at 12:06

Thanks so much :)!

February 10, 2013 at 23:49

He is cute, you go girl! The cake is gorgeous too and one of your recipes i want to definitely make, thank you.

• February 11, 2013 at 12:07

Thank you :)! I hope you do try it out, I know you will love it too!

7. February 11, 2013 at 02:34

I absolutely love this story of how you and Eric met... but what happened next Amy?! Did he ask you out next time you were at the store? And that cake looks incredible!!! Would love a piece for valentines! :)

• February 11, 2013 at 12:08

Well, it took a few weeks, but we ended up together ;). Thanks so much! Your v-day desserts havre been looking fabulous too ;)!

8. afsaneh
    February 11, 2013 at 16:30

Just fabulous, gorgeous looking and blend of yummy ingredients..!! Thank you for your work of deli art!!

• February 11, 2013 at 23:27

Thank you so much :)!

• February 11, 2013 at 23:27

Thank you :)! I am happy to share!

February 11, 2013 at 18:34

I'm sure you're sick of hearing it, but I'm just in awe of your creations. The photography is beautiful and the recipes themselves are incredible. Thank you so much for sharing them with people like me who try to stick to a mostly vegan diet, but lack ideas and creativity.<br /><br />Happy Valentine's Day to you both!<br /><br />-Sue

• February 11, 2013 at 23:28

I will never tire of hearing that ;). Thank you so much :)! I am happy to share my ideas with you! Happy Valentine's Day to you too!

10. February 12, 2013 at 00:30

Smile. What a beautiful cake to celebrate a beautiful couple! Thank you for sharing this sweet post. I hope you are having a wonderful week of good food, love, and laughter.

• February 12, 2013 at 13:14

Thanks so much Monet :)! I hope you are having a wonderful week as well, thank you for visiting :)!

11. February 13, 2013 at 05:09

Happy Valentines day to you both! Thats such a sweet story:) and Another gorgeous and intricate creation. have a wonderful day!

• February 13, 2013 at 12:21

Thanks so much Richa :)! Happy V-day to you too!

12. February 23, 2013 at 20:57

I so appreciate your blog and that you share so many wonderful recipes. And I love that you give alternate options for ingredients, so helpful. I live overseas so some ingredients are not so easily available to me. I just found your blog from a friend posting on FB and got lost in all the yummy ideas. I switched to mostly raw desserts for my family but I've been stuck in a couple of comfortable recipes and it's so fun to try something new. Big blessings Amy! <3

• February 24, 2013 at 21:13

Thanks so much :)! I am happy you enjoy my blog! I like to give options so people can tailor the recipes to their personal needs. So happy you found my blog :)!

13. June 2, 2013 at 13:58

Your recipes and photos are amazing! I can't wait to make them and have a hard time deciding which one to do first! Is there a substitute for the cashews? I am not supposed to eat many cashews....

• June 3, 2013 at 02:05

Thank you :)! Yes, you can use young coconut meat, macadamias, or pine nuts. They all work about the same, mild flavor and smooth.