Raw Caramel S’mores Bites

Last week my boyfriend Eric told me I should make something involving s'mores for dessert.  I thought it sounded like a good idea.  I decided to give it a go. He had an idea of how it should look, and it was sort of an inside out s'more, not exactly traditional in that involved caramel as well, and chocolate on the outside instead of in and only one graham cracker but I loved that!

I made a graham cracker base from walnuts, coconut and a bit of buckwheat for crunch, sweetened with dates and a bit of cinnamon so it tasted graham cracker like.  Then topped it off with my raw caramel...which would have been delicious as was as a combination, but I was going for a s'more here not caramel slice.  Then it was time for the marshmallow layer.  I knew I could not exactly make a raw marshmallow, but I could make my rendition of a raw "marshmallow" using a delicious vanilla cream base so good nobody misses the real marshmallows. I cut them into small squares that looked s'more like, and thought about simply dipping them in chocolate, but then decided that they would look much prettier exposing the inside caramel and marshmallows with the chocolate drizzled atop.

They were delicious!  Since they were small, I admit it was hard to eat just one, and I admit to eating all the trimmings from the edges as well as the finished product.  Eric approved as well, scooping four onto his plate when I presented them to him.  I think I may like these better than real s'mores.

Raw Caramel S'mores Bites
Makes 16 bars

Crust:
1 cup raw walnuts
1 cup finely shredded dried coconut
3/4 cup buckwheat, sprouted and dehydrated (or additional coconut)
1/4 tsp cinnnamon
12 soft medjool dates, pitted (if not soft, soak them until they are and drain them)

Caramel:
10 soft medjool dates
3 Tbsp raw coconut nectar or maple syrup
2 Tbsp raw pecan butter or raw coconut butter (warmed to liquid id using coconut)
1 Tbsp raw coconut oil, warmed to liquid
 2-3 Tbsp filtered water as needed

"Marshmallow" layer:
1 cup raw cashews, soaked 4 hours and drained
1 cup young coconut meat (or 1 cup soaked cashews if unavailable)
1/4 cup coconut water
3 Tbsp raw coconut nectar or agave nectar
seeds of one vanilla bean, or 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
2 Tbsp coconut butter
1/4 cup raw coconut oil, warmed to liquid

Chocolate glaze:
1/2 cup raw cacao powder
1/2 cup raw coconut oil
1/4 cup raw coconut nectar or raw agave nectar
a pinch of sea salt

For the crust, combine walnuts, coconut, buckwheat, sea salt, and dates in the food processor and process until fine crumbs and starting to hold together when squeezed. Press the mixture into a square on a foil lined sheet pan 1/4 inch thick, and set aside in the fridge.
To make the caramel, process all ingredients except for water in the food processor until smooth and well blended.  Add a few Tbsp water as needed to create a caramel consistency.  Spread over the crust and set aside in the fridge while you make the cream.
To make the marshmallow cream, combine all ingredients but the coconut butter and oil in a food processor and process until smooth.  With the motor running, add the coconut butter and oil and process a minute more.  Pour the cream over the caramel on the crust and place in the freezer until firmed up, about an hour.  Trim the edges so that they are even, then cut into small 2x2 inch squares once chilled and set back in the freezer while you make the chocolate.
Meanwhile, to make the chocolate glaze, whisk together all ingredients until smooth.  To put the chocolate on the s'mores squares, one at a time take a square and set on a fork holding with one hand over a bowl.  Using your other hand, take some of the chocolate in a spoonful and drizzle over the square, then place the square back on the foil (the fork helps drain excess chocolate off).  Repeat with remaining squares and then place in the freezer just until set, about 5 minutes, then enjoy!  Store in the fridge.

1. June 12, 2013 at 15:42

Oh my heavens, this sounds absolutely wonderful! My daughter has on her "bucket-list" this summer to make s'mores. You can count on us trying this out!

• June 12, 2013 at 21:40

Awesome! I hope you and your daughter enjoy it :)!

2. Deborah Ward
    June 12, 2013 at 16:06

scrumptious!!! as a newbie to the raw food world I am finding it difficult trying to locate real raw seeds, nuts, coconut nectar. I would love to know where people find these types of items if in real stores or online sites! thanks for any info

• June 12, 2013 at 21:41

Well, either in health food stores, or you can order them online from places like http://www.sunfood.com/food.html .

3. June 12, 2013 at 17:41

Those look awesome! Such a classic summer treat, love your take on it. Feel free to stop by my link party and share some of your fantastic recipes :)<br /><br />Happy Blogging!<br /><a href="http://www.happyvalleychow.com/" rel="nofollow">Happy Valley Chow</a><br />

• June 12, 2013 at 21:42

Thank you :)! I may just have to check it out!

4. June 12, 2013 at 18:28

These look incredibly decadent! My favorite dessert is s'mores and this just looks exquisite! I can't wait to make these!

• June 12, 2013 at 21:42

Thank you :)! Hope you enjoy them as much as I did!

June 14, 2013 at 16:22

I just made these this morning, snuck a bite of one (sadly have to save the rest) and it was AMAZING! Only change I made was to sub a banana for the coconut meat and maple syrup for the nectar (not raw I know). <br />Thanks so much for such an amazing recipe!

• June 14, 2013 at 23:13

Awesome :)! SO glad you decided to try making them, and the maple syrup would be perfect! Glad the banana worked out, that would be yummy too! You are so welcome!

6. June 24, 2013 at 19:44

This comment has been removed by the author.

• June 24, 2013 at 20:12

This comment has been removed by the author.

7. June 26, 2013 at 12:14

Hi Amy! <br />I'm Emily I'm 23 and live in Sydney Australia! I made these for my mums birthday dinner tonight and they are delicious! My family loved them. Last month I made your Raw Banana Split Cake for my nieces first birthday and that was also incredibly delicious and very popular! <br /><br />I ADORE your blog. I've been very sick this past year and have been making a big effort with eating clean to help heal myself. Your recipes are so wonderful because they taste a million times better than any flour cake with refined sugar ever could. I love being able to have treats that nourish me. Thank you, I get so excited whenever you post. I can't wait to make many many many more of your recipes. You are so very talented! Are you going to write a recipe book one day?! I would buy dozens of copies and give them out for every birthday and holiday.

• June 27, 2013 at 01:09

Awesome! So happy you made them and enjoyed them :)! <br />I am glad you enjoy the recipes and the blog, it means so much to me :). Good for you getting healthy, and it is awesome that I can help you enjoy desserts that do not sabotage it. I will be publishing a book soon, it is almost done, I am just looking for a publisher, I have it all written and all!

8. Aubrie
    July 1, 2013 at 02:59

Is there any alternative to buckwheat? I'm not sure if I can eat it and would rather not risk it - would almond flour/meal be a possible sub? Or perhaps coconut flour? Or is that not thick enough? Thanks!

• July 1, 2013 at 04:32

You can use additional shredded coconut as mentioned above ;).

9. August 18, 2013 at 17:09

oh my good god. bookmarking to make these SOON! thank you for sharing the recipe. i am loving your blog!!!

• August 18, 2013 at 20:36

Thank you so much :)! I am glad you are enjoying it, thank you for visiting!

August 22, 2013 at 11:36

if you wont put coconut meat how many extra cashews do you need??

• August 22, 2013 at 12:01

1 cup.

11. Rene
    September 6, 2013 at 14:49

What is the difference between coconut oil and butter. I thought they were one in the same?

• September 6, 2013 at 19:58

No they aree not the same. Coconut butter is the whole coconut flesh, not just the oil. Like nut butter. You can see how to make it if you do not want to buy it on my helpful tips and ingredients page.