Raw Caramel Pecan Energy Bites

When I was in high school and college, energy bars were something I always had on hand in my sports bags.  You know, for just in case there was not going to be any food were I was going and I might get hungry, or for after a workout when I wanted to refuel, or needed an after school snack.  I thought what I was buying was healthy, but when I started to learn more about nutrition and what is actually good for you I discovered the ones I had been enjoying were actually not that great.  There were ingredients I couldn't pronounce, refined sugars, bad oils and such, and yes they had protein and might have not had too many calories, but that simply won't cut it for me now.  If I ever do buy energy bars, they must have few ingredients, clean ingredients, and no refined sugars. Most of the time however, I make my own.  I like a balance of carbs and protein, good healthy fats, and omega 3 rich seeds in mine.

caramel-pecan-energy-bites-2

I make energy bites a lot.  I have my favorite recipes that I make over and over, but sometimes I branch out and try a new one.  That was the case last night.  I wanted something with pecans.  Because Fall makes me hungry for pecan pie. So, I made some that tasted a little like it.  To give it a caramel like flavor, I used dates as the sweetener with a little vanilla, and pecan butter mixed with coconut butter to bind it.  This totally has a caramel like flavor.  It tastes like caramel cookie dough!  I like to add a hit of protein to my energy balls, so I added some Sprout Living Epic Vanilla Lucuma protein, my favorite!  I also added in some maca for extra energy.  This is optional, but it has a nice nutty flavor as well.  I added hemp and chia seeds, which are always included in my daily food intake somewhere because they are rich in healthy omega 3 oils.

caramel-pecan-energy-bites-1

I bound these together with oats, my cereal of choice which I always  have on hand.  Oatmeal is my favorite breakfast after all, and for most of the last 15 years it is what I am downing in the morning after my runs.  I added in some pecans to these lastly, because they are pecan energy bites after all!  They were delicious!  Nutty, sweet, crunchy, yet soft just like an energy bite or bar should be.  These are perfect for Fall!

caramel-pecan-energy-bites-3

• 1 Tbsp maca powder
  • 1/4 cup raw, shelled hemp seeds
  • 1/4 cup chia seeds
  • 1 cup raw organic gluten free rolled oats
  • 1 cup chopped raw pecans

Directions:

1. In a food processor, combine the coconut butter, pecan butter, dates, vanilla and sea salt and process until smooth.
  2. Add the protein powder and maca powder and blend until combined.
  3. Add the hemp seeds, chia seeds, and oats, and pecans and pulse until well distributed.
  4. Shape into balls, and place on a parchment lined tray.  Place in the freezer until firm.
  5. Store in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to a month.

1. Dana
    April 3, 2018 at 10:48

Would you happen to know if the Sprout Living Epic Vanilla Lucuma Protein powder is tested for heavy metals (third party testing)? Because MANY protein powders on the market today DO contain heavy metals and other contaminants (that's why I am extremely picky in chosing what brands I purchase). These sound really yummy and would love to make (and I suppose I could always use another lucuma protein if need be). But curious if you're aware or know about this particular product.

• April 3, 2018 at 19:02

I am not sure, sorry. All I know is I have done well with it, and feel good after eating it for a few years now. I saw something on protein powders highest in heavy metals, and it was not listed there. If you don't want to use it, you could use lucuma powder.

2. Dana
    April 4, 2018 at 17:31

Very cool it wasn't listed. Ok, thanks so much! :)

3. Dana
    April 5, 2018 at 11:32

Hi Amy. It's Dana here again. Is the raw coconut butter in this recipe the same as raw cacao butter? I've not used either before (believe it or not) so I'm not familiar. I'm not sure if the raw coconut butter in this recipe is the same as coconut 'cream' (which I DO know about) or if it's the same as raw cacao butter that you melt. Thanks in advance. :)

4. Dana
    April 5, 2018 at 11:45

I think I just figured it out, lol. I believe it's coconut cream you're using in this recipe, yah? Because raw cacao butter is a chocolate and NOT coconut. Eesh. I should have thought it through. I guess I was a little confused. :) Again, many thanks.

• April 5, 2018 at 18:29

Coconut cream where I am from is the stuff in a can with liquid in it (like the thick part of coconut milk), butter as mentioned in my recipes is the dried coconut ground up like nut butter. It is not oil however, that is just the fat not including any flesh. All confusing I know, but if you saw it there are stark differences to them all :). The problem is, butter is sometimes called manna also in stores, and also coconut cream to make it even more confusing. Just make sure it is not the coconut cream with water if that is what you are buying, and the butter type without liquid in it. This brand I recommend: https://amzn.to/2qakitB

• April 5, 2018 at 18:30

Btw, yes cacao butter is the fat from the cacao plant. Although it could be used in this recipe, it will give it a different flavor, and it is more runny than coconut butter.

5. Dana
    April 20, 2018 at 13:38

Hi Amy ~ Somehow I missed your comments back to me. Thanks SO much for all the info (mini lesson on coconut cream/butter). ;) Interestingly, I actually ended up getting the exact same brand you recommended. Very cool! Just waiting to get the maca I want. I am extremely picky as to where it comes from, as with protein powders, there are many macas out there that aren't CLEAN—not tested for heavy metals and other contaminants. I will only get mine from either David Wolfe (longevitywarehouse.com or Mike Adams'—the Health Ranger—website, healthrangerstore.com). Both are strict on their standards for level of purity and both have been out of stock for months. So just waiting ... Until then, can't wait to make these. I just KNOW they will be a favorite. Again, thanks for the additional info. Cheers. :)

6. July 2, 2019 at 11:35

I really like your recipe, with all the vegan ingredients! It's amazing how at the store, if you finally find the "perfect" energy bar, you have to pay way too much for it! In this recipe, all the ingredients are fresh, and I could see myself putting some in the freezer so I always have a fresh supply. Thank you for sharing!

• July 2, 2019 at 19:59

Happy to hear you enjoy the recipe :)! Thank you! I completely agree, it is so much better than store bought!