Raw Blueberry Lavender Filled Cupcakes

What does one do with an abundance of fresh organic blueberries?  Eat them of course! Well, I had over 8 lbs, so I ate some and then did some dessert creations.  One of which was Blueberry Lavender Filled Cupcakes!

I admit, I was sort of torn between cupcakes and blueberry muffins.  So I asked on Facebook, which everyone preferred and the cupcakes ended up winning this time.  For all of you that voted for muffins though, blueberry streusel muffins will happen sometime soon too!

It had been far too long since I had made raw cupcakes, I looked back on my blog and the last time was February!  So it was about time.  I decided to make filled ones.  Light vanilla lavender cake filled with a sweet jammy blueberry filling and blueberry lavender frosting.

They could not have been more heavenly!  I think these are the best raw cupcakes I have ever made!

Raw Blueberry Lavender Filled Cupcakes
Makes 6

Cake:
1 1/2 cups raw almond meal

3 cups raw coconut flour (do NOT use store-bought!)
2  tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup young coconut meat
12 medjool dates, pitted (soaked in filtered water for 30 minutes if not soft, then drained)
2 Tbsp raw coconut nectar
1/4 cup coconut water or raw almond milk or water
1 Tbsp dried lavender flowers

Frosting:
1 cup raw cashews, soaked 4 hours and drained
1 cup young coconut meat (or additional cashews if unavailable)
1/4  cup coconut water
3 Tbsp raw coconut nectar or agave nectar
1/4  tsp sea salt

2 drops du Terra lavender essential oil (optional)
seeds of one vanilla bean, or 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract

3/4 cup fresh organic blueberries
1 Tbsp
coconut butter
1/4 cup raw coconut oil, warmed to liquid

Filling:
1 cup fresh blueberries
2 medjool dates
a pinch sea salt
1 1/2 Tbsp liquefied coconut butter

Combine almond flour, coconut flour, sea salt, in a bowl and whisk together until and set aside. To a food processor, add the dates, vanilla, coconut and coconut water, and nectar to the processor and process until pretty smooth. Add the dry ingredients back and process until smooth and well incorporated.  Mix in dried lavender flowers.  Spoon the batter into 6 standard sized foil muffin tins and place on a dehydrator sheet.  Dry for about 16 hours, then remove from the dehydrator and place in the fridge to cool.  Once cool, remove the center of each cupcake cutting about 1 Tbsp sized divet into the center of each (for the filling).  Set aside.
Meanwhile, to make the frosting, combine all ingredients but the coconut butter and oil in a food processor and process until smooth.  With the motor running, add the coconut butter and oil and process a minute more.  Pour the cream into a bowl and let sit in the fridge until the consistency of whipped cream.
To make the filling, combine all ingredients and puree until smooth.  Spoon about 1 Tbsp into the center of each cupcake.
Place the frosting in a pastry bag and pipe over the cupcakes (or spread it over if you wish), and top with a few blueberries and lavender.  Store in fridge.

1. August 12, 2013 at 15:33

I love your recipes! It would be lovely if you could also give directions for those of us without a dehydrator? Thank you!!!!

• August 13, 2013 at 02:41

Thank you so much :)! Unfortunately these need to be dehydrated or they will not hold together like a cupcake. If you do not want them raw, I suppose you could bake them at the lowest temperature in an oven, but I am not sure what the amount of time would be since I have not done it. Feel free to experiment though ;)!

2. Ellen Lederman
    August 13, 2013 at 02:07

Yum! I actually have both almond flour and coconut flour and dried lavender leaves, so this is a must-make! I have lots of frozen blueberries (not 8 pounds like you!), but I;m assuming they better be fresh for this, correct? Do you think they'd be good without the filling? Removing part of the cupcake scares me a little---I don't have your finesse!

• August 13, 2013 at 02:43

Awesome! You can make them with frozen, they would work just fine in the filling and frosting. I think they would be good without the filling, but you should try it with the filling, it is really not that hard if you are careful :).

• August 13, 2013 at 21:18

August 13, 2013 at 18:44

This is amazing! Ingenius! Thank you!

• August 13, 2013 at 21:19

Thank you :)! You are so welcome!

August 14, 2013 at 13:36

SO IMPRESSIVE AND SO BEAUTIFUL! <br /><br />You totally should open a raw eatery. You seriously should! Your stuff would fly off the shelves!

• August 14, 2013 at 21:36

Thank you so much :)! Maybe someday ;)!

5. Ellen Lederman
    August 14, 2013 at 17:16

Amy, HELP!!!! We are in the process of making these. The cake was completely dry---wouldn't say it was batter---just all the flour. We added a little water. The dates weren't soaked---don't you and others usually say to soak the dates? Didn't know whether to add some coconut oil to it.<br /><br />And it is making way more than 6 cupcake foil tins---more like 9 to 12.<br /><br />Are the proportions right in the recipe? Was there a mistake? Please help!

• August 14, 2013 at 20:20

If the dates are not soft they need to be soaked. The proportions are correct in the recipe. Did you make your own coconut flour? Did you use the fresh coconut meat? You can add additional coconut water if your batter is too dry. Mine was quite moist due to the coconut water and dates. Maybe your cupcake liners are smaller than mine. Sorry it took me a while to answer, I am at work on break right now.

6. Ellen Lederman
    August 15, 2013 at 01:02

No, we used store bought coconut flour. Did use fresh young coconut meat.Used extra water. I actually think they may be okay---they have been in the dehydrator seven hours now. Will let you know how they do when I attempt to put the filling in. If they fall apart when I do it, I'll live the filling out---they will still be good with the icing. Thanks! I knew I didn't have your knack for glorious desserts, but I panicked when it seemed dry and I filled up 12 cups (I think they are a standard size).

• August 15, 2013 at 01:07

That is probably why. I never use store-bought coconut flour because it is too dry and it tastes toasted (not raw) to me. It soaks up ALL the moisture in anything. I should have made that note above, and I have changed it so others don't do the same. I hope they turn out for you!

7. Ellen Lederman
    August 15, 2013 at 19:43

Learned my lesson about store-bought coco flour. The cupcakes turned out okay but way too crumbly to put the filling in. And I thought I like lavender---but maybe I just like the idea of lavender. I've made a regular baked quick bread with fresh lavender that I love. This was my first experience with dried lavender flowers. So---not 100% sure about the cupcakes, but I did frost them. Had way too much frosting for the cupcakes since I just spread it on top and can't do your swirls (and wouldn't want that much frosting), so I froze half of it to become blueberry coconut fudge.<br /><br />Still glad I made them and appreciate all the time and effort you put in.

• August 15, 2013 at 21:53

It probably soaked up all the moisture and made more batter. It shrinks down if you use the home made flour. Sorry I did not put the note in about the store bought, I will start doing that so no one else makes the mistake. Thank you for giving me your feedback, I really do appreciate it and it helps me write better recipes in the future. I am glad you made the frosting work for you, and I hope you aren't discouraged by the cupcakes.

8. Ellen Lederman
    August 16, 2013 at 02:06

Yup, I think you are right about what happened. And of course I will continue to make your recipes!<br /><br />But---I am kind of conflicted about raw recipes using so much coconut, especially oil and butter. There are so many people who avoid oils, especially any added oil. I've read some things that seem to indicate that coconut oil (and I use the virgin, organic, cold pressed, unrefined type) is a healthy saturated fat---other famous doctors and experts disagree. What is your take on it? I think it would be kind of sad to not have anything with oil in it---and coconut oil does so well in raw desserts. Other than plain fruit, I can't think of what would be for dessert without any added oils and sugar!

• August 16, 2013 at 02:34

I am glad you are not discouraged :). My take on it is that oil is healthy in moderation. The right kind that is. Our bodies need it to function, if one does not have any their hair and skin becomes dry, they do not absorb nutrients and can have more inflammation. I personally know this because when I was younger I tried cutting out fat. I was misreable. Your brain needs it to function. That said, it should be moderated and I do try to use the least amount that is needed for a recipe to work and taste good. Nobody should eat a whole cake in one sitting, and one piece is about the right amount of good oils one needs for the day. I don't get much oil from my other food I eat.

9. August 25, 2013 at 20:39

Thanks Ellen and Amy for your conversation thread. Even if I was considering using store bought coconut flour, I definitely wouldn't after reading your conversation. Thanks!!

• August 26, 2013 at 05:35

No problem, this is the beauty of comments :)!

April 20, 2014 at 00:57

Could you use the dough for a raw layer cake instead

• April 21, 2014 at 23:28

Yes you can it might take longer though.