Raw Banana Macadamia Coconut Dream Pie

When I started to get serious about making desserts back in college, one of my favorite things to make was banana cream pie.  I thought my recipe was the best...deep dish banana bourbon cream pie, piled high with billowy, clouds of whipped cream and topped off with toasted coconut.  It was pretty amazing, and I made it many times, never thinking it could be trumped.
That is, until this weekend.  I made the most amazing banana cream pie I have ever tasted, and it by far kicked that other banana cream pie's butt.  It needed no dairy, eggs, and refined sugar, it was veganlicious, and way more amazing!
I had two large bunches of bananas on my counter last week, so a banana something or other was in order.  I made a cake, which will be posted soon, but I also made this Raw Banana Macadamia Coconut Dream Pie.  I call it a dream pie because it was.  When I started to make it, there were three things I was sure of.  It needed a coconut macadamia crust, plenty of sweet, creamy filling, and coconut cream on top.
Once I got to making the filling, however, I decided that it would be even more amazing with a layer of chocolate and vanilla cream frosting.  The best of both worlds to accompany the bananas in the sweet pie!
Once it was set, I topped it off with coconut cream, but then decided that something crunchy on top would be even better so I topped it off with a sort of macadamia and coconut streusel.  This pie ended up being a fufillment of all of my cravings.  Crunchy and a little salty from the crust and topping, creamy, sweet and dreamy in the middle, plus chocolate and fruity bananas...pure heaven!  You simply must make this if you love banana cream pie so you can try it for yourself!

Raw Banana Macadamia Coconut Dream Pie
Makes 1 6 inch tart

Crust:
1 cup macadamia nuts
1 cups shredded, dried coconut
1/2 cup sprouted, dried buckwheat (or additional coconut
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
8 soft medjool dates, pitted and chopped

Filling
2 cups sliced bananas
1/2 cup raw cashews (soaked for at least 4 hours in filtered water and drained)
1/3 cup coconut water
1 1/2 cups young coconut meat or soaked raw soaked cashews (drained)
1/3 cup plus 1 Tbsp raw coconut nectar or maple syrup
2 tsp pure vanilla extract and seeds from half a vanilla bean (other half reserved for topping)
1/3 cup raw coconut butter or oil (warmed to liquid)
2 sliced bananas
3 Tbsp raw cacao powder

Cream topping:
3/4 cup raw cashew pieces (preferably soaked overnight)
1/4 cup coconut water
1 cups fresh young coconut meat (or additional soaked cashews if not available)
3 Tbsp raw coconut nectar or maple syrup
1 teaspoons vanilla and seeds of half a vanilla bean
1/4 cup raw coconut butter or oil (warmed to liquid)
1/2 cup raw macadamia nuts
1/2 cup large flake coconut
large pinch of sea salt
1 Tbsp coconut nectar or maple syrup

For the crust, combine the nuts, coconut, and buckwheat in a food processor and process until crumbs. Add the sea salt and dates and process until the mixture starts to come together when squeezed. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 6 inch springform pan, sprayed with non-stick coconut oil spray. Place in the freezer while you prepare the filling.

For the filling, combine 2 cups bananas, coconut, cashews, coconut water, nectar, sea salt, and vanilla in a food processor and process until smooth. With the motor running, slowly add the coconut oil and process for a minute. Divide the mixture into 2 bowls, then place one back in the food processor and add cacao powder.  Process until combined. Pour the chocolate filling mixture over the prepared crust, then top with sliced bananas, then the plain filling, then more bananas.  Place in the freezer to set for about an hour.

Meanwhile, to make the topping, combine the cashews, coconut, coconut water, sea salt, nectar, and vanilla anc process until smooth. Add the coconut oil slowly with the motor running (If the mixture starts to separate and clump, the filling is too cold to emulsify the oil, so warm some of it and process again). Place the topping in the freezer for about 30-45 minutes until it firms up to whipped cream  consistency. Once frosting consistency, move to the fridge until ready to use.
Once the filling has set,spread over the tart.
In a food processor, place macadamia nuts, coconut, sea salt, and nectar and pulse until chopped.  Sprinkle over tart, and serve! Store extra in the fridge.

1. January 13, 2013 at 15:52

This comment has been removed by the author.

2. January 13, 2013 at 15:54

nice! I love the little addition of cacao in there ;) (beautiful photos, btw)

• January 13, 2013 at 15:56

Thanks so much :)! I thought the cacao was a good idea ;)!

• June 26, 2014 at 21:28

Can I use the feozen coconut meat instead of fresh one ?

• July 4, 2014 at 00:56

Yes you can.

3. January 13, 2013 at 19:00

I just had to throw this one out to my friends on a Facebook page that I subscribe to called "The Veganauts"...a mottley crew of vegans and aiming to be vegans that are all joined by the creed of "keep it real". Most of us are on a green smoothie challenge at the moment and this amazing pie is going to knock their socks off! Hopefully they all come over and check out your amazing list of recipes because I really can't believe that you are not up there with the top raw vegan chefs :)

• January 13, 2013 at 19:09

Awesome! SO glad you shared it with your group :)! Maybe when you are done with the juicing you can try it. I actually just became raw 5 months ago, so I am new to it myself. Maybe someday I will have all the skills to be up there with the top raw chefs ;)! I still have a lot to learn, and I am sharing what I make as I go!

4. January 14, 2013 at 01:00

That looks delicious! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe and photos.<br />

• January 14, 2013 at 12:07

Thank you :)! I am happy to share!

5. January 14, 2013 at 07:30

WOW!!! I can't WAIT to make it this week. This is one of my favorite pies, and I can't wait to try it veganlicious!!!! THANKS!

• January 14, 2013 at 12:08

Awesome, so happy you are going to try it! If you do make it feel free to let me know what you think :)!

6. January 14, 2013 at 14:06

Hi Amy. This is a fantastic recipe, and great fun to make with the kids. Thanks so much for posting it.<br /><br />All the best, Alex

• January 14, 2013 at 23:31

Thanks so much! I am happy to share :)!

7. January 14, 2013 at 17:29

You have such a way with layering complementary flavors. I never was a fan of the original banana cream pie - too heavy - this seems so bright with flavor.

• January 14, 2013 at 23:31

Thanks Claudia :)! I bet you would enjoy this one, it is not so heavy ;)!

• January 14, 2013 at 23:31

8. January 14, 2013 at 18:29

I cannot wait to make this. The photos are beautiful, mouth-watering for sure. Thank you for sharing!

• January 14, 2013 at 23:32

Awesome! Thanks so much, I hope you do try it out :)!

9. January 14, 2013 at 22:46

OMG woman! Looks insanely good. I looove macadamia nuts.

• January 14, 2013 at 23:32

Thanks Heather :)!It was insanely good, me too!

10. Natalie
    January 16, 2013 at 06:11

I made this yesterday and tasted it today - my new favourite cake and the best I've ever made! Thankyou for such an amazing recipe :D

• January 16, 2013 at 15:01

Awesome! So happy you decided to ty it out :)!

January 16, 2013 at 19:24

Hi Amy! Definitely want to try this one out. Is there anything I can replace the medjool dates with? In the Crust? <br />Thanks!<br /><br />

• January 17, 2013 at 14:49

Awesome :)! So happy you are thinking of making it. Raisins, or you can use honey or agave nectar.

January 16, 2013 at 22:09

Just want to make sure this all fits in a 6 inch springform? Seems like a lot if ingredients to fit in there.

• January 17, 2013 at 14:49

You might have a little extra filling. If you do not want extra, you can make it in an 8 inch. I just look at the extra as a little tester for the baker ;)!

• Anonymous
      January 18, 2013 at 02:38

OK - thanks!

January 18, 2013 at 23:13

this pie sounds amazing! however, if you add honey to it, it is no longer vegan. :)

• January 19, 2013 at 13:02

I am aware of that, I am just giving options so that everyone's dietary needs can be met ;). I list agave nectar, but you are welcome to use coconut nectar or maple syrup in place of the honey.

• Anonymous
      April 25, 2013 at 19:42

I am a vegan and I eat honey... raw honey from 'organically' raised bees. It is a continuous debate, one that will probably never end. Just realize that some vegans do eat honey, and some vegans do not.

• April 26, 2013 at 03:22

Amen! I am one of those that does eat it, and I like to give options so everyone is happy :).

January 23, 2013 at 16:26

Hi Amy, I would like to make it without cacao, do you think it will still be good? Or should I add another ingredient instead?

• January 23, 2013 at 23:14

You can skip it, I would just increase the coconut oil by a couple Tbsp so the filling is not too runny (the cacao powder helps it firm up on the bottom layer).

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2013 at 11:53

Ok, thank you ;)<br />

January 26, 2013 at 01:31

I thought I bought sprouted and dried buckwheat but it isn't sprouted. Do you have to sprout and dehydrate it before using it in the crust?

• January 26, 2013 at 04:16

You do need to at least soak it and dehydrate it otherwise it will be too hard. Sprouting can be bypassed however if you do not want to wait the extra day.

January 28, 2013 at 02:07

I made this and for some reason it didn't set up. I had to freeze it - it was still delicious!! What might I have done wrong?

• January 28, 2013 at 03:47

You might have added too much banana to the filling. That makes it a bit runnier. If it seems runny, you can add a little extra cocout oil and it will help it set up better.

• Anonymous
      January 29, 2013 at 04:20

Ohhhhh....it's possible, the bananas were on the large side. Thanks!

February 5, 2013 at 22:30

if you don't have young coconut and you use the cashews instead, would the measurement be the same? you know 1cup coconut meat and instead 1 cup of cashews. i don't have access to coconut meat.

• February 5, 2013 at 23:25

Yes, it would be the same.

18. February 5, 2013 at 22:38

This looks amazing.. for someone who is allergic to cashews, do you have a suggestion for alternatives?<br /><br />Thank you,<br />Stacie

• February 5, 2013 at 23:26

You can use sunflower seeds, or almonds.

19. February 16, 2013 at 15:05

Dear Amy, this pie looks amazing! Well, most of your recipes do. I still haven't tried any as I've discovered you only just yesterday but I will soon. Question: I cannot get young coconuts meat over here and I've tried the old one and didn't really like it at all. Do tell what could I use as a substitute as I am not too fond of loading everything with cashews. Any alternative with irish moss gel perhaps? Thanks a lot, A.

• February 17, 2013 at 17:13

I can not get irish moss gel, so I do not know how much you would use. However you can sub a different seed or nut like snuflower (which I have had sucess with) or almonds.

20. March 7, 2013 at 13:22

Amy, you can get Irish moss in online shops, even on amazon .. give it a go, it will open a whole new world of recipe ideas. It's a great ingredient to reduce the content of fatty ingredients such as coconut oil - even though that's a healthy fat etc - and makes creams and mousses fluffy light. So good. Plus, it's great for thyroid, it's rich in iodine and sulfur, great source of minerals in generals, helps with (peptic) ulcers, arteriosclerosis, bladder issues, apparently increases the metabolic rate and strengthens connective tissues, hair, skin and nails.

• March 7, 2013 at 22:42

Honestly I cannot afford to order much stuff right now, maybe when I have a larger budget ;).

• March 12, 2013 at 16:36

I am working my way to a raw/vegan lifestyle. It will be easier once I finish moving and can concentrate on it. My mother has Hashimotos they are saying coconut oil is bad for her. It is going to be awful to make some of these recipes and her not be able to eat them. I didn't realize Irish Moss was so good for you. Sounds like you could live on it... <br />So the bottom line is Amy I can't wait to make this recipe even if I eat it all myself. Thanks Lisa for the tip on the Moss. Since a chronic illness and toxic treatment I have to get this body straightened out and moving to my own place on my mother's property. She is really helping me so much to get my life back together and I guess that means I will have to hide this from her!!

• March 12, 2013 at 21:32

Happy to help you out, sorry your mother cannot have coconut oil. You are welcome to try the moss ;). Maybe some of my other recipes without coconut oil you can make for your Mom :)!

• Anonymous
      April 9, 2013 at 12:02

21. March 30, 2013 at 22:10

Holy smokes, I just made this pie (I've been thinking about it for literally at least two weeks now and finally gave in!) and it is firming in the freezer...and it is going to be amazing!! I sampled as I went, and absolutely LOVED each layer. Amy, you are inspiring! Thank you for sharing~ :)

22. May 14, 2013 at 17:33

Made this for my daughter's 3 rd bday. It was awesome!! I was a bit worried that I wouldn't have the coconut meat but then I put it out to the universe via FB that I needed meat from a young green coconut and WALA someone showed up to my doorstep with 3 young green coconuts!! I'm looking forward to making this again!! Thank you!

• May 15, 2013 at 02:30

Awesome! How lucky that someone gave you coconuts :)!

23. July 23, 2013 at 03:33

Alright, I finally have to post that I have made this pie three times since you posted it in January. It is definitely a favorite in my family. The flavor combinations and layers of banana, macadamia and coconut are simply wonderful. Thanks for the delicious recipe, Amy!

• July 23, 2013 at 10:55

I am happy to share and it is wonderful that you have made it 3 times! This is a favorite in my household as well, my Mom and boyfriend both love it.

24. April 15, 2014 at 18:56

Can I use canned coconut meat? Please reply ASAP if you can, I am going to buy the ingredients tomorrow :)

• April 15, 2014 at 23:50

No you can not. You would be better off substituting raw cashews (the same amount as the coconut) soaked for 4 hours and drained instead. Coconut meat in a can is way too runny.

25. June 19, 2014 at 23:04

Hi Amy, I love bananas and coconut, so excited to make this cake of yours! Did you use roasted macadamias for the crust or raw? Thank you!

• June 20, 2014 at 21:46

Awesome, so happy you are going to make it :)! Raw, because it is a raw recipe.

December 31, 2014 at 09:10

Hey:D I was also wondering about that young Coconut meat. I live in Norway and here we only get the brown coconut(old one). I am not sure what you mean when you say young. But when i was in Hawaii we were picking(climbing) and eating the meat(white) from the green coconut, straight from the tree. The meat was not hard at all, it was soft and juicy, and very easy to get out of the coconut. Is that what you mean? I dont think it is possible to buy that in any store here in Norway.

• December 31, 2014 at 12:22

Young coconut meat refers to the meat in the green coconuts. It is soft. If you can not get it in Norway, I would suggest using the same amount of soaked raw cashews instead.

27. January 23, 2015 at 17:40

Amy this recipe looks amazing! We can't wait to try it:) Thank's for sharing!

28. February 15, 2015 at 06:59

looks unreal and the photos are lovely, out of this world lovely. been seeking 'sweets' i can make for my kids that will encourage them to make choices healthier than the normal sweets they devour. and this is it. thank you!

• February 16, 2015 at 20:26

Thank you :)! They won't even know it is made from healthy things ;)!

29. February 20, 2015 at 07:21

It looks delicious! I love a bar idea instead of pie.<br />

30. October 5, 2016 at 01:58

This pie is magnificent! I wish I could just dive in! I can't believe how pure & healthy the ingredients are, too. Beautiful job, Amy :)

31. Claire
    December 16, 2016 at 14:04

Yum!!!!!! Can this be made ahead and completely frozen for serving later? Once serving, do you have to eat all of it or will it keep set up in the fridge? Thanks!

• December 17, 2016 at 00:04

Yes, it can be made ahead and frozen just keep in mind the bananas may discolor slightly. It will keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

32. Vickt
    January 13, 2017 at 15:43

This looks so amazing. I can't eat cashew nuts though is there anything I could use instead? Thank you x

• January 14, 2017 at 00:04

You can use young coconut meat, just swap in the same amount for the cashews. Just make sure it is the more thick firm kind, not the watery kind.

33. September 4, 2017 at 03:07

this is by far the best raw pie recipe! I have tried several recipes! I THANK YOU! The flavors are amazing!!! I will for sure make this again and again and again and share!!!

• September 4, 2017 at 14:46

Thank you so much :)! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed it!

34. Blue
    September 18, 2017 at 23:05

Hi Amy. This is delicious, thanks for a great recipe. The crunchy topping and crust are just delicious! I did leave out the topmost layer of "cream" topping, only because it had the same ingredients of other layers. I wanted to save time and fat, with the cashews. I also ran out of coconut. Speaking of that, I had to sub shredded organic coconut soaked in coconut water and milk for the young coconut meat, because I didn't have any. Is your filling completely smooth, or can you detect the coconut in it? I would much prefer not to detect it, so will have to do this again with young coconut meat as directed. I can't wait to try your vegan mozzarella next!

• September 19, 2017 at 00:03

My filling is usually completely smooth. It is really hard to get the same texture as young coconut meat with dried coconut. I have with canned coconut milk, but I would have to make the recipe that way in order to figure out the measurements so I do not currently know them. I am hoping to make a non-raw version of this in the future with canned coconut milk, so people will be able to use that recipe if they don't have access to the coconuts.

• Blue
        September 19, 2017 at 22:23

Great, thanks for letting me know. Will definitely do it again then, with young coconut meat. P.S. The eggnog icecream *is* great with it, too. :) Eating it right now! Thanks again.