Lemon Basil Ice Cream

It was 102 degrees yesterday.  It was a long week at work in a very hot kitchen.  Things didn't all go as planned this week.  But I could have cared less yesterday, because I was in a sparkly mood!  Which is my way of saying I am in a really good mood.  It was Friday, and knew I would have the next ten days off to enjoy myself!  But, you know what put me in an even better mood yesterday, my Lemon Basil Ice Cream that I had made Thursday night!  It was in the freezer waiting for me when I got home and I was ready to dive in!

For those of you that think basil in ice cream sounds a little unusual, you are not alone, my own Mother told me it sounded very odd.  But seriously, it was delicious!  It was cooling and herby, sweet and a little tart with the lemon.  So fragrant, and it reminded me of sherbert in a way.

I had used my fresh basil from my herb pot and it could not have been a better match for the lemon coconut milk ice cream base.  It was the most lovely color of green, and I think it would be amazing in the center of a chilled summer soup but I enjoyed it unadorned yesterday, and it was perfect!  The perfect way to end my week that is!  I hope you all  have a wonderful weekend, are surviving the summer heat and staying cool!

Vegan Lemon Basil Ice Cream
Makes 4 cups

3 cups organic full fat coconut milk, chilled
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, packed
3 Tbsp organic lemon zest
3 Tbsp lemon juice
3/4 cup agave nectar
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
2 tsp lemon extract

Combine all ingredients in a blender, and process until well blended. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to package directions (mine takes about an hour, and is still a little soupy like the consistency of a malt, but firms up in the freezer later). Once processed, pour into freezable container with a lid, and place in the freezer for at least a few hours, or overnight to firm up for best results.

1. July 7, 2012 at 12:43

Now this is my kind of ice cream. I am totally obsessed with basil. A recipe definitely worth bookmarking! YUM!

• July 8, 2012 at 15:35

Thank you :)! I am obsessed with basil as well! Have a large pot of it growing on my patio!

2. July 7, 2012 at 13:30

Love the darker green specks...looks delish<3<br />Enjoy your time to yourself...:)

• July 8, 2012 at 15:34

Thank you :)! I will certainly enjoy this vacation ;)!

3. July 7, 2012 at 13:51

What a gorgeous bowl of ice cream! I've had basil ice cream but I do believe your lemon basil would far surpass the one I had. It looks heavenly and definitely the answer to the heat!

• July 8, 2012 at 15:28

Thank you :)! It was super refreshing! The lemon gave is a sherbert like base!

4. July 7, 2012 at 21:43

I made basil lemon martinis a few weeks back....SO GOOD, you should try it! Basil infused simple syrup.

• July 8, 2012 at 15:26

I have a similar drink that I enjoy! Love basil and lemon in a martini! I was thinking a scoop of this ice cream would be good at the bottom of a drink on a hot day...

• July 8, 2012 at 15:24

5. July 7, 2012 at 23:09

I will just have to try this! I'm loving my ice cream maker, so will be doing this with the kids.

• July 8, 2012 at 15:25

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did! An ice cream maker is one of the best investments! I use mine every week :)!

6. July 7, 2012 at 23:10

You totally knock me out with your creativity. Basil, lemon and coconut go so well together on pasta. Why not as a sweetened dessert. Beautiful.

• July 8, 2012 at 15:24

Thanks Suzi :)! It was a wonderful combo! And why not serve after that pasta ;)!

July 8, 2012 at 13:36

Love your recipes, but need a better format for printing...

• July 8, 2012 at 15:23

Sorry, I hadn't thought of that. Perhaps, copy and paste to Word, then print the recipe.

8. July 10, 2012 at 00:14

I don't think it sounds odd at all! I actually made basil simple syrup yesterday for the watermelon basil sorbetto I'm going to make this weekend! :D Enjoy your time off!!!

• July 10, 2012 at 01:44

That watermelon basil sorbet sounds wonderful! I will have to check that out when you post it :)!

9. Sunnie
    July 11, 2012 at 01:23

I thought this ice cream looked so amazing that today, after I came home (late, according to my standards!) from the beach, I just HAD to make it. I blended it all together, and could not resist tasting the "batter." I ended up using 1 can (1 2/3 cups) Thai kitchen coconut milk, and 1 1/3 cups of So Delicious coconut creamer (because I only had that one can of coconut milk!), so I'm hoping it still comes out! You're a genius - I will be making more of your recipes soon!

• July 11, 2012 at 02:02

Awesome! Hope you enjoy it :)! Let me know how it turns out with the creamer!

• Sunnie
      July 12, 2012 at 00:25

Oh my goodness. I just tried it, and I think that a little part of me died and went to heaven! It's perfect - so light and creamy. My mom thinks that it's a dessert that should be served at a high-end restaurant. I applaud your creativity!!!

• July 12, 2012 at 12:51

So glad you enjoyed it Sunnie :)! Thank you for the wonderful compliments!

10. July 13, 2012 at 05:13

Another delicious creation, Amy - I can always count on you to come up with beautiful and creative ideas! I'm featuring this post in Food Fetish Friday (with a link-back and attribution). I hope you have no objections and it's always a pleasure following you…

• July 16, 2012 at 23:04

Thanks again for including me! Always an honor :)!

11. July 16, 2012 at 20:42

Herbed ice cream doesn't faze me because I've had it as a dessert at some restaurants. Nice job here and it looks light and refreshing!

• July 16, 2012 at 23:04

It was increadibly refreshing! Thank you :)!

August 1, 2012 at 01:19

Wonderful! Just made it tonight as my birthday treat to myself after a month of no sweets. This was amazing!

• August 1, 2012 at 11:16

So glad you enjoyed it! Happy Birthday :)!

June 5, 2014 at 22:49

This is in my ice cream maker right now. I'm so excited to try it. Thanks for the recipe!

14. Angela
    May 16, 2015 at 20:59

Hello, I would love to make this recipe unfortunately I've never made my own ice cream before. Am I supposed to use the whole can of coconut milk or just the cream that separates to the top? Thanks

• May 16, 2015 at 22:08

The whole can, I always specify if you are just using the top part in my recipes :)!

15. Pallavi Bansal
    March 27, 2018 at 09:37

Can I make this with normal full fat milk instead of coconut milk since I’m allergic to coconut milk?

• March 27, 2018 at 18:43

You really could use any kind of milk. A thick almond milk would work too. If you are going with dairy milk what you use makes the ice cream texture. So a cream would make a rich ice cream, but just milk would give it an icy more dense texture. So just depends on your preference.

• Pallavi Bansal
        March 29, 2018 at 05:47

Also, I don’t have an ice cream maker, so is there any alternative for that??

• March 29, 2018 at 18:19

You can pour the mix into a bowl, put it in the freezer and stir it every 30 minutes until it is thickened to the consistency of soft serve, then proceed with pouring it into a container.