It was a sort of gloomy day Wednesday, so when I got home I decided to make myself a fancy drink fit for a hot Summer day and pretend like it was nice outside even though it wasn't. You would think I would go for hot tea or cocoa or something because it was chilly but I wasn't in the mood for that I have been having that for months. You may be thinking I whipped up a martini or something, but nope! I went for lemonade. I have been kind of missing it since last Summer, and I had organic lemons on hand so why not?!
Since this was going to be special lemonade I decided to make a lavender lemonade. I have made it before usually with berries or something else added but I just wanted lavender this time. It is super relaxing to drink and take in the lovely aroma. I often use lavender essential oils in my body care items like my deodorant and lotion to relax, or in my diffuser at home, and even in the diffuser in my car so I stay more calm while driving. It really works, plus it smells so good! So lavender infused lemonade is amazing!
I didn't mix essential oils into it though, I brewed a sort of lavender tea to make it. I also added butterfly pea flowers to it to give it a lovely color since I have a big bag of them on hand in my pantry. They start out blue when you brew them, then turn more purple if you add an acid like lemon juice, so they were perfect for this lemonade!
It was really simple to make, just the lavender butterfly pea tea, a little more filtered water, fresh squeezed organic lemon juice and a little stevia. If you are not a fan of stevia, of course you could use maple syrup instead as I note in the ingredients list. This lemonade is super refreshing, calming and delicious! I will have to make it again on a day when it is actually hot and sunny this Summer! In the meantime, I think it would be perfect for Mother's Day especially if your Mom happens to be a lavender fan!
Lovely Lavender Lemonade
- 4 cups filtered water, divided
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp dried lavender flowers
- 2 tsp dried butterfly pea flowers
- 2/3 cup fresh organic lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp liquid stevia (or to taste) or 2 Tbsp maple syrup if you don't prefer stevia
- ice and lemon slices for garnish
- Bring 2 cups of the water to a boil on the stove, then remove from heat and add the lavender flowers and butterfly pea flowers. Let sit 5 minutes, then strain through a coffee filter into a large glass measuring cup.
- Add 2 more cups filtered water, the lemon juice and the stevia (or maple syrup) and stir until well blended.
- Add desired amount of ice and lemon slices to two tall glasses, and pour the lemonade into them. Serve!