Home Made Flavored Lip Balms

When I was in high school at any given time, I had at least 5 different lip glosses or lip balms on me.  In my backpack, pockets, purse.  I could never go without it, dry lips are no fun and I could not (and still can not) stand the sensation.  I was given the nickname glossy after a while because of my love of lip products.  Kind of funny looking back on that.  It stuck for a while.  Nobody calls me that anymore, but having moisturized lips is still very important to me.

But now, I care more about using natural products on them. I used to love all of the fun flavors Lip Smackers had.  My favorite lip gloss was a vanilla buttercream frosting. It smelled just like cake. Just because I use natural lip gloss and balm now though doesn't mean I need to miss out on that!  There are plenty of good natural brands out there, which I buy a lot of, but I decided it was time I try my hand at lip balm making.

I finally got all of the supplies, and so I went for it last week.  I wanted to make lots of fun flavors, and I decided on Vanilla Maple, Brownie Batter, Grapefruit Rose, and Lavender Orange. My boyfriend Eric was a sport and helped me make them because he was intrigued.

They all turned out wonderful smelling, some like dessert, and some beautifully floral. These leave your lips feeling moisturized and soft which is just what one needs in the winter.  I think these would make a great gift, or part of a gift for anyone!

Home Made Flavored Lip Balms:
Each recipe makes 4 small tins

Vanilla Maple:
2 tsp carnauba wax or soy wax, grated
1 Tbsp virgin coconut oil
1 tsp sweet almond oil
1/4 tsp alcohol free vanilla extract
seeds of half a vanilla bean
1/4 tsp maple syrup

Lavender Orange:
2 tsp carnauba wax or soy wax, grated
1 Tbsp virgin coconut oil
1 tsp sweet almond oil
10 drops each lavender and orange essential oils
1 tsp dried lavender flowers

To make the lip balm, you will need 4 small lip balm tins.  Choose your flavor, then combine the wax and oils in a small glass measuring cup and heat over a double boiler, whisking often until it is melted.  Add the remaining ingredients, and whisk until combined, then pour into the tins and let harden.

1. December 2, 2014 at 15:18

Will definitely try the recipes, I keep lip balms everywhere too, t ;-)

December 3, 2014 at 11:10

Awesome!

3. T.V.
    December 3, 2014 at 20:34

Super inspirational! I will try this: I am more likely to try this than any of the sweet recipes... purely because I am too lazy to put effort into dessert!

4. December 14, 2014 at 22:59

What an awesome idea for Christmas gifts! @T.V. I can testify that though some of Amy's yummy desserts may be time or labor intensive, it's worth it and makes the end result all the sweeter!!!

5. Hiedi Sheather
    December 8, 2016 at 20:28

i have a concern that most carnauba wax is not ethically gathered. do you use a fairtrade company? and if so, which one?

• December 8, 2016 at 22:55

I am actually not sure because it was purchased in the bulk section of a store. My reason for using it is that it is a non-animal substitute for beeswax, I had never heard that some of it was not ethical. I would say, if you are going to buy some check the source, which is what I will do from now on (can't change the past purchases). You may also use soy wax or candelilla wax instead if you prefer that.

• Hiedi Sheather
        December 9, 2016 at 01:41

thanks! i like the idea of the soy wax. xx

6. Sheila
    December 9, 2016 at 00:14

These look lovely! Can you substitute another oil for sweet almond oil? I wanted to make as gifts but know people with a nut allergies. Would apricot, grape seed, jojoba, or olive work? (I happen to have those on hand...) Or something else? Thanks!

• December 9, 2016 at 00:36

Avocado oil would work as well, or apricot. Olive oil might give it an off flavor.

• Sheila
        December 9, 2016 at 02:01

Great - thanks for the feedback!

7. oshrat
    December 10, 2016 at 11:49

Can you tell for how long they can stay good after its made?

• December 10, 2016 at 13:38

over a year. I had some of mine for a year and a half and they were still good.