Blueberries and Cream Kale Chips

I made some Strawberries and Cream Kale Chips  a few weeks back and they were the most amazing kale chips I had ever eaten, so I thought blueberries and cream might be just as delicious.  So last week when I was trying to figure out what type of kale chips to make, blueberry came to mind.  I had plenty in my fridge since they were on sale and I stocked up.

Once I had buzzed the batter together, a mixture of blueberry and sweet coconut, I had a taste and it seriously tasted like the most delicious blueberry muffin batter.  When I was a kid my Dad often made blueberry muffins and let me lick the batter from the bowl.  That was good, but this we amazing.

Overnight while they dried, my home was filled with the aroma of sweet blueberry muffins.  I could not wait to taste them.  When I bit into one, it was a beautiful mixture of crunchy sweet coconut and blueberries...and seriously addictive.  If you are skeptical about sweet kale chips, you must make some and I guarantee you will be hooked on them just like me.

Blueberries and Cream Kale Chips
Makes about 8 cups

1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 2-4 hours, drained
1 1/2 cups finely shredded dried coconut
1 tsp sea salt
2 Tbsp raw coconut nectar or raw agave nectar
2 cups fresh organic blueberries
filtered water

1 large bunch kale, washed and torn into bite sized pieces
2 cups sliced fresh organic blueberries

In a high speed blender or food processor, combine the cashews, coconut, sea salt, agave nectar, vanilla, and 2 cups berries in the food processor, and process until smooth. Add filtered water, a few Tbsp at a time until a smooth mixture a little thinner than nut butter consistency is formed. Place the kale in a large bowl, and pour theberry mixture over it. Add the remaining berries. Use hands to massage mixture into the kale, coating all the pieces entirely. Place the kale on 2 teflex lined dehydrator sheets, and dehydrate* for about 8-12 hours (overnight) until dry. Enjoy!

*If you do not own a dehydrator and raw is not a concern, you can bake them in a 200 degree oven for 4-6 hours on a lined baking sheet, or until dried.

1. May 30, 2013 at 12:25

Awesome recipe! I really need to get a dehydrator, definitely want to try to make some stuff like this. Thanks for sharing!<br /><br />Happy Blogging!<br /><a href="http://www.happyvalleychow.com/" rel="nofollow">Happy Valley Chow</a><br />

• May 31, 2013 at 11:00

Thank you! It is definitely worth the investment :)!

• June 1, 2013 at 02:09

2. June 6, 2013 at 14:03

wow Amy that's looks delish wish i can get Kale here in Malaysia, but no :(. I did read somewhere(blog) they sub Kale with Kailan or Gai Lan >> http://www.evergreenseeds.com/chinkalgail.html<br />do you think it taste the same as Kale? <br />p/s love all your gorgeous/delish recipe too bad most of the ingredients i can't get here.

• June 7, 2013 at 02:05

I think you should try it! What have you got to lose? :) Thank you, I wish you could. I am sure you have many fruits there I would envy ;)!

June 12, 2013 at 22:31

What dehydrator do you recommend? I was thinking on buying a Excalibur but I am not sure which one. The one with 9 trays or the one with 5 trays. And stainless steel or not? I have read they make a lot of noise. What is your recommendation? Thanks, Irma

• June 12, 2013 at 23:18

I use a 5 tray Excalibur. It is big enough for me. They are a bit noisy not not any louder than some ovens with fans. I strongly recommend getting one if you are serious about raw food :)!

• Anonymous
      June 13, 2013 at 01:02

Thank you for your reply!

4. Veronica
    September 4, 2013 at 10:52

I finally made these and they are delicious!! :) At first I was a bit hesitant to sweet flavored kale chips but they are perfect for when you crave something sweet but yet light. I am so happy that I tried them out! (So is my grateful body! Sweet but good for you, Yay!!) Now I am searching through all your kale chips recipes to find another interesting flavor combo. Thank you for posting all your lovely recipes! (and including the actual recipe in the newsletter! :)) You are so talented.

• September 4, 2013 at 12:01

I am glad you made them. I wish others would venture out and try the sweet kale chips because they are so good (my favorite snack) :)! I am happy to share my recipes! What news letter do you have?