Tahini Pretzel Crunch Date Bark
I am all about the chocolaty treats lately, especially date bark! I love how easy and non fussy it is to make, and I can use what I have on hand at the time. Dates are one of my all time favorite things and combined with chocolate they are even better! Like a healthier caramel filling. I have made a few different varieties of date bark in the past and loved them, so I thought rich tahini and crunchy pretzels would be a delicious combo! This Tahini Pretzel Crunch Date Bark turned out so delicious I had to share the recipe with you all!
It was so cold here in MN this weekend that even I did not want to go outside. It was below zero for a few days, so it was the perfect time to make some treats and hunker down inside! I had leftover pretzels from making some treats over the holidays and I wanted to use them in something sweet. I love a good salty sweet combo and they add a nice crunch! I use tahini just about as much as peanut butter to be honest, stirring it into my oatmeal, making tahini butter cups, and in halva so I thought it would be wonderful in this bark!
I layer dates into a pan for the first date bark ingredient, and press them down as most date barks start, but I like to put a layer of chocolate over it to cement the dates together and chill it first before adding the rest of the ingredients. I used vegan dark chocolate for this, but you can use your favorite vegan chocolate. I then add a layer of pretzels, then the rich tahini. I stirred a little sea salt into the tahini also because it just adds that little something extra. Lastly I poured chocolate over the top, chilled a short time and and voila! Delicious bars, it is that simple.
I know this is not the most pretty perfect looking bark, but it is sooo delicious! The rich tahini and salty cruchy pretzels are the perfect partners for the caramelly gooey dates and decadent dark chocolate! If you are in the mood for a sweet chocolate treat, definitely give this Tahini Pretzel Crunch Date Bark a try!
Tahini Pretzel Crunch Date Bark
Makes 16 pieces
- 1 cup tahini
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- about 26-28 medjool dates with pits (enough to fill the bottom of a 9x9 inch square pan when halved and pressed down)
- 3 cups melted dark chocolate
- about 1 1/2 cups vegan pretzels
- In a small bowl, mix together the tahini and sea salt and set aside.
- Line a 9x9 inch square baking pan with parchment.
- Cut the pits out of the dates, and place them cut side up, on top of the parchment at the bottom of the pan, press them down, there should be enough to fill the pan.
- Drizzle a little of the chocolate over the dates to fill in the gaps and smooth it out.
- Place in the freezer to set the chocolate, about 5 minutes.
- Arrange the pretzels over the dates to cover them (in one layer).
- Drop the tahini over the pretzels, then spread it over them evenly.
- Pour the rest of the chocolate over the tahini and smooth out evenly with an offset spatula or knife.
- Place in the freezer to set, about 20 minutes until the chocolate has hardened.
- Cut into pieces and enjoy!
Keeps for 2 weeks in the refrigerator in an airtight container.