Raw Chocolate Orange Creamsicle Cups

I am missing the sunshine a little.  Ok...a lot!  I get up before the sun does to run in the dark, go to work and by the time I arrive home the sun is dipping beneath the horizon again.  Then, on my days off it has been below zero lately so too cold to venture out and catch rays on my face, the only thing that is not bundled up from the windchill.  So sad, and I am looking pretty pasty from my lack of sunshine like the typical Minnesotan.  But...I will stop complaining and share a delicious recipe with you!  Since I suffer from lack of sunshine, I thought I might as well make something that tastes like sunshine.  Citrus tastes like sunshine to me, so I made Raw Chocolate Orange Creamsicle cups!

They tasted like an orange creamsicle without being cold (which is why I named it so), and the dark chocolate was a wonderful package for the sunny filling.  It is the perfect time of year to make these while citrus is abundant and we are all craving something sunny.  They are quick to make, and keep well in the fridge (if they even last that long) for when you have that chocolate craving.

Chocolate Orange Creamsicle Cups
Makes 12

Chocolate:
1/2 cup raw coconut oil, warmed to liquid
3/4 cup raw cacao powder
1/2 cup organic maple syrup or raw coconut nectar
a pinch sea salt

Filling:
1/2 cup raw coconut butter (not coconut oil), warmed to liquid
1/4 cup fresh orange juice at room temperature
1 Tbsp orange zest
2 tsp raw coconut nectar (or maple syrup or your choice of liquid raw sweetener)

To make the chocolate, whisk all ingredients together until smooth, and set aside.
Lay out 12 chocolate cup tins or molds on a flat cutting board or tray, and fill them about 1/3 full with the chocolate.  Place them in the freezer to set about 5 minutes.
In a small bowl, mix together the filling ingredients until well blended. Once set, spoon about 1 heaping tsp of orange mixture onto each, but not so much that it oozes to the sides (you want to be able to cover it with more chocolate and not have it stick out the top).  Spoon chocolate over each mound of orange mixture enough to cover and fill to the top of the tins.  Place in the freezer to set for about 15-20 min. to set.  Enjoy!

1. January 16, 2014 at 15:28

Hi. When you say pure vanilla essence what do you mean ? What are the other ingredients with it? I use madagascan vanilla 4 fold which is very thick. 1 whole teaspoon would be way more than I would usually use. This would be a big help thanks :) I still cant believe how creative you are ! Amazing

• January 16, 2014 at 22:43

Pure vanilla extract, like you buy in the baking section at the store. I would think your vanilla you use would work, I am not sure of the amount though, it sounds different than extract, which is liquid.

2. January 16, 2014 at 16:14

Is it just that for the filling? No cashews or coconut meat? Just looks a different consistency to the chocolate? xx

• January 16, 2014 at 22:40

Yes. I post recipes as they are made :). The coconut butter makes them creamy enough, no coconut meat or cashews needed!<br />

3. January 16, 2014 at 16:17

Also....can you tell me how you get the sweetener to emulsify,,,,or just mix evenly. Whenever I make chocolates sweetener seems to sink to the bottom and so the chocolates some taste sweet others have no taste. I have even tried to whiz it in a blender!

• January 16, 2014 at 22:41

I simply whisk it in a measuring cup and I have no trouble. Maybe yours is not the right temperature? It has to be all liquefied (the oil).

4. January 17, 2014 at 00:40

These do look deliciously sunny! Here in Michigan we've had a string of many gray and cloudy days ... lots of snow, too. I'm ready for summer!! And chocolate!! :)

• January 17, 2014 at 02:14

I am so ready for summer too, and I am always ready for chocolate! Right on :)!

5. January 18, 2014 at 03:09

Oh my. I will need to give these a go, indeed!

• January 19, 2014 at 12:54

I hope you do try them :)!

January 19, 2014 at 05:50

Delicious ... but I had trouble getting the orange juice & coconut oil to blend/stay blended (emulsify ;-). At room temp they mixed well but were too runny to keep any shape in/on the 1st layer of choc... as soon as I chilled it it separated... In the end I resorted to 1/4 cup of raw cashews soaked 1hr & blender-ed it , that worked. <br />If the choc separates try sprinkling in 1 more Tblsp cacao (maybe 2 if you are battling the heat (as we are at the mo.. )<br />...An Aussie Healthynut...

• January 19, 2014 at 12:52

That is because the recipe calls for coconut BUTTER not oil. I had someone else do the same thing, so I think I will clarify above (since it seems that other parts of the world use the words interchangeably) I am glad you got it to work though :)!

7. January 20, 2014 at 22:22

These were delicious! Made them yesterday and my husband about melted! Love your recipes!

• January 20, 2014 at 23:43

Thank you :)! I am so happy you and your husband enjoyed them!