Naughty Elf Bites
I imagine elves like to be naughty once in a while. After all, they don't need to be good all year round since they do not need to be on the good list for Santa...they just work for him, they aren't the recipients of the toys they assemble. It would be hard to sit in one place all day long assembling toys, and following orders, so I am sure at night when the elves get a break they like to have a nice hot toddy or some spiked hot chocolate and let loose a bit. Maybe they like to have a few sweets as well, cookies would be a must, but maybe tiny cakes, after all elves are small. Yes, I have an imagination, which is precisely why I named the treats I made this weekend "naughty elf bites".
I was feeling a little like an elf myself after working hard on "nice" sweets, and felt that a little but of naughty was needed. Although I am a big fan of cocktails, I thought some bourbon laced pretty elf sized brownies would be fun! So I used my vegan brownie recipe, baked it in tiny baking tins and sprinkled them with a bit of bourbon. They needed a bit of frosting to be more naughty, so I made a dark chocolate frosting which tasted of fudge, and was of course laced with more bourbon. Lastly for a magical elfish touch some Christmasy non-pareils were added. They were boozy and delicious, dark fudgy brownies with the silky frosting and bite of bourbon! I imagine the elves would have a hard time not eating too many after a hard day! Maybe you feel like being a naughty elf too...so here is the recipe if you wish to indulge!
Naughty Elf Bites
(mini bourbon laced brownies)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 3 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp pureed pumpkin
- 1 Tbsp bourbon
- 1/2 Tbsp cider vinegar
- bourbon for sprinkling
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/4 cups cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- a large pinch sea salt
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Red and green nonpareils
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees with the rack in the middle position. Line two 12 hole mini muffin tins with liners.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, soda, sea salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, place chocolate and oil. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between to melt the chocolate, until the chocolate and oil are smooth and well combined.
- Whisk in syrup, along with vanilla, and pumpkin, and whisk to blend until well incorporated.
- Whisk in 1 Tbsp bourbon and vinegar until well blended and there are pale swirls throughout the batter.
- Spoon into prepared tins, place in the oven, and bake for about 15 minutes until set and toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.
- Let cool completely. When cool, using an eye dropper, drop about 3 drops of bourbon onto each brownie.
- To make frosting, beat all ingredients together until frosting consistency (adding more cocoa if it needs to be thicker, or more agave if it is too thick). Place in a pastry bag, and pipe onto brownies. Sprinkle with nonpareils.