Raw Sour Cream and Onion Zucchini Chips and Kale Chips

When I was in middle school, I can remember arriving home from school, going into the kitchen for a snack, and opening up a bag of sour cream and onion chips to indulge in while watching my favorite TV shows in the afternoon.  They were salty, crunchy, and oniony...not that I cared if they made me smell like a large allium afterwards.  Not the healthiest snack I know, but those were the days before I cared what I ate and I would have rather sat on the couch than gone for a run.  Of course that all changed after highschool when I got serious about running and I decided not to eat chips.  I admit, I have not ate a real potato chip since probably freshmen year of college.  But I still love and crave salty crunchy things.  So when I saw some commercially made sour cream and onion zucchini chips somewhere, I just had to try and make a raw version.  Could it be done?  Would they be as delicious as sour cream and onion chips were?  I needed to find out.

I have been experimenting a lot lately with kale chips of different sorts and so I thought it would be easy.  I used a sunflower seed base for the "sour cream" with a little nutritional yeast for cheesyness, and plenty of allium flavor with onions, garlic, and chives.  It tasted good before it went on so I knew this was going to be snack-tastic!  They made my house smell like onions while dehydrating, but I didn't mind.  I was so excited to try them, and when I did...they exceeded my expectations!  Delicious, crispy, oniony chips, and so much lighter than the potato chips I had enjoyed as a teen. I loved them so much I made kale chips with the same batter!

Raw Sour Cream and Onion Zucchini Chips
Makes about 3 cups

1/2 a small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove
1 cup sunflower seeds (soaked for 4 hours and drained)
1/2 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
2 Tbsp dried or fresh chives
filtered water

4 medium zucchini, thinly sliced

To make the coating, combine the onion, garlic, sunflower seeds, sea salt, nutritional yeast, chives, and about 1/4 cup water in the blender and puree until smooth.  Add a little more water if needed to make the mixture the consistency of cake batter. Place in a large bowl with the zucchini, and use hands to coat.  Lay out zucchini slices on lined dehydrator sheets and dry for 24 hours (or until completely dry).  If you are not concerned about raw and you do not own a dehydrator, heat oven to its lowest temp, and bake for 4 hours, then flip and bake for another 2 or until completely dried.

Variation: Kale Chips
For kale chips, make the same mixture to coat them, and use 2 bunches kale, washed and torn into bite sized pieces.

1. February 1, 2013 at 15:02

Love the ideas!! Great taste and as always I am your number one fan.

• February 1, 2013 at 22:13

my #1 taste tester :)!

February 1, 2013 at 15:33

is there anyway to do this in the oven

• February 1, 2013 at 22:13

Heat oven to its lowest temp, and bake for 4 hours, then flip and bake for another 2 or until completely dried.

3. February 1, 2013 at 15:44

This looks amazing! I definitely have to try it :)<br /><br />I'd love it if you shared this over at Healthy Vegan Fridays, a blog party I host with a couple other vegan bloggers! We feature healthy vegan recipes and this seems like a perfect fit! In fact your whole blog does!<br /><br />http://veggienook.com/2013/02/01/healthy-vegan-friday-28/

• February 1, 2013 at 22:14

Thanks Gabby :)! I will check it out!

• February 8, 2013 at 01:41

Hey girl! Thanks so much for joining. I'm featuring your recipe this week :) Make sure to come check it out and hope to see you back!

• February 8, 2013 at 05:01

No problem Gabby, happy to join :)! I will have to check it out!

4. February 2, 2013 at 00:29

Oh, I can't wait til the day I can make these!!!

• February 2, 2013 at 13:05

Yay :)! I hope you do try them!

5. February 2, 2013 at 21:43

Uggghh I want these in my tummmyyyy!! Thanks for sharing :)<br /><br />Sincerely,<br /><a href="http://www.happyvalleychow.com/" rel="nofollow">Happy Valley Chow</a>

• February 3, 2013 at 00:25

Thank you :)! I wish I could send them through the comp to you ;)!

February 4, 2013 at 01:59

I made these and the taste was fantastic - exactly like the unhealthy chips I used to eat! But I'm new to dehydrating so didn't know what temperature to set the Excalibur and the texture turned out bad. They weren't crispy at all; just shrivelled and a bit chewy. I did mine at 105 degrees. What temperature setting did you use and how thick were your slices? Yours looked a lot different mine! Thank you!

• February 4, 2013 at 02:53

Thank you :)! You are supposed to dehydrate them at 115. They might not have been done yet either if they were chewy...mine are chewy in the middle of dehydrating then crisp up. The slices have to be VERY thin also.

7. February 8, 2013 at 14:24

I have only had zucchini chips once when I was on a raw food diet and they tasted amazing. I had forgotten about them so I've bookmarked these to try them as they look fantastic. I chose this as one of my favourite posts this week on Healthy Vegan Fridays! Thank you so much for sharing this week on Healthy Vegan Fridays: http://www.greenthickies.com/healthy-vegan-friday-29<br />Have a great weekend and I hope to see you back today, Katherine

• February 9, 2013 at 03:54

Awesome Katherine :)! So glad you are going to make them and you shared them :)! I will have to check it out!

• February 17, 2013 at 20:36

I just made these but I just realised I set my oven temperature to 115 degrees Celsius not Fahrenheit! I'm used to reading American recipes that use F and converting it but I guess the low temperature threw me this time as I was quite shocked my oven went that low!<br />Anyway, so totally my fault but they were still edible, lovely and very filling. I'm going to have to give them another try.

• February 17, 2013 at 21:40

Bummer, I am happy to hear they still turned out despite the mistake!

8. February 26, 2013 at 15:13

Made these last week to the t, but I did add dulse flakes just to add an extra something (trying to eat more sea veggies) and I loved them! Making more this week and also shared with my non veg friends and family. My mom asked for the recipe. I just wanted to share. I found you on pinterest :D

• February 27, 2013 at 12:08

Sounds delicious, I might have to try that next time I make them. Glad you and your family enjoyed them :)!

9. Laura
    June 30, 2016 at 15:27

I'm sorry I never posted on this. I've made these Many many times and they are my favorite! My Mom (now a converted Vegan) asks these by request. I just make a super big batch at a time and make them over a couple days. I wanted to say Thank-you for the awesomeness!

• June 30, 2016 at 23:15

I am so happy to hear you enjoyed them Laura :)!