Raw Red Velvet Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream

I have seen red velvet everything lately, ice cream, yogurt, I even saw some red velvet protein powder last week.  I have to admit I am a bit attracted to it too.  As long as it is not colored with artificial red, I do have 10 recipes on my site for red velvet.  The thought of red velvet ice cream sounded good, but I would not buy it at the store since it was all dairy and filled with refined sugar and artificial color.  This seemed like a good opportunity to make my own red velvet ice cream.

I made mine raw, nothing artificial in sight.  I used beets for the color in mine, and it tasted like the most delicious vanilla cake batter.  I left some of it plain vanilla for the "frosting" swirls which were important for me to have, since the frosting is one of the essential parts of red velvet cake as far as I am concerned.

It would have been delicious as it was, but since I was going to be sharing it with my boyfriend Eric I mixed in raw dark chocolate chunks because he loves chocolate.  Plus, who would object to chocolate chunks?  It was amazing, so delicious I wanted to lick the bowl.  I am sure it was much better than the red velvet at the store as well.

Raw Red Velvet Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream
Makes about 5 cups

Ice Cream:
1  cup coconut water
2  cups young coconut meat (or raw cashews, soaked 4 hours and drained if unavailable)
2 cups soaked raw cashews, drained (soaked at least 4 hours)
1/2 cup raw coconut nectar
seeds of one vanilla bean
a pinch of sea salt
1/2 cup coconut oil, warmed to liquid
3 inch chunk organic raw beet

1 cup chopped raw chocolate

Add coconut water to a food processor, along with cashews, coconut, agave nectar, vanilla, and sea salt. Process until smooth, then with the processor running, add the coconut oil slowly and process until well incorporated, about a minute. Remove 1/3 of the mixture and place in a bowl in the fridge.  Add the beet to the remaining mixture in the food processor and process until well blended.  Pour through a fine meshed strainer to remove any coconut or beet bits.  Pour the strained mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to directions. Remove from ice cream maker, stir in chocolate. and pour 1/3 of it into a freezer safe container with a lid, then add some of the plain vanilla mixture in Tbspfuls.  Add half the remaining red ice cream, then more drops of vanilla.  Add the rest of the red mixture, then the last of the vanilla.  Swirl with a knife.  Set in the freezer for about 4 hours, or overnight before serving.

1. March 13, 2013 at 13:44

Fantastic job as usual! I too love anything red velvet so I will definitely have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing :)<br /><br />Happy Blogging!<br /><a href="http://www.happyvalleychow.com/" rel="nofollow">Happy Valley Chow</a><br />

• March 13, 2013 at 21:41

Thanks so much :)! I hope you do, it is one of my favorite red velvet goodies so far!

• March 13, 2013 at 21:41

Thanks so much Katrin :)! Welcome, I am happy to have you here!

2. March 13, 2013 at 21:31

Yum your ice-cream looks so good, I love the ingredients list too!

• March 13, 2013 at 21:42

Thank you so much :)! Quality ingredients are important to me.

3. March 14, 2013 at 05:18

The best think which I liked about it is that you didn't use anything artificial. It looks so delicious. I wish I could prepare one for myself right now. Thank you so much for the ingredients. I have noted it down. Let's see when I'm to make it. <br /><br />Regards,<br />Finn Felton<br /><a href="http://cluwak.com/" rel="nofollow">Kopi Luwak</a><br />

• March 14, 2013 at 12:20

Thank you :)! It is important to me what I put into my body so no red dye is allowed ;). I hope you do find the time to make it, you will love it!

4. March 14, 2013 at 21:22

I blogged your recipe and your page! I am making it this weekend! <3<br /><br />www.chickensoupsandwich.com

• March 15, 2013 at 20:54

Awesome Kelly :)! Let me know how you like it!

5. March 19, 2013 at 00:26

I am going to make it this weekend, and if I like it I will spring it on my passover guests! I guarantee they won't have anything like it at another Seder!:-)

• March 19, 2013 at 02:35

Awesome :)! So happy you are going to make it, hope you have a wonderful passover weekend!

• March 19, 2013 at 12:20

Just to clarify, the plain vanilla part is NOT frozen in the ice cream maker, just chilled and then layered and swirled into the red part, correct?

• March 19, 2013 at 12:24

No it is not. Otherwise it wouldn't swirl as well.

• March 20, 2013 at 23:56

If I can't find raw cashews that are kosher for passover, can I sub almonds or walnuts? Or even roasted cashews? This time of year can be a little hard to find acceptable ingredients. :-(

• March 21, 2013 at 00:29

It would be better to use raw sunflower seeds, macadamias or pine nuts as almonds often do not end up smooth. You could use roasted cashews but the ice cream will taste off due to the roasted flavor.

• March 28, 2013 at 00:59

Hi Amy! Here is my feedback on the recipe which I hope you will find helpful. First, are strawberries meant to be mixed in with the beet? They are the second ingredient listed but never mentioned in the instructions. Second, even though I put the mixture through a regular sieve and then my finest sieve, it still had little tiny white specks of either coconut or macadamia so texture was not smooth and creamy and didn't look nearly as gorgeous as your picture. Where did I go wrong? Under processing? I used my cuisinart food processor as recommended. The flavor was nice even though the texture was not what I was hoping for. Would love to try it again with a little more guidance from you!

• March 28, 2013 at 12:13

You may not have soaked the macs long enough or your food processor may not be powerful enough. I have noticed I need my vitamix to get them smooth sometimes. But since you strained the mixture and there were still chunks, I think that maybe what happened was your coconut oil was not warm enough and it separated from the other ingredients, creating small chunks (which has happened to me). Make sure your coconut oil is warmer next time, and the other mixute is not too cold, so they can emulsify better. It is easy to fix though if it does happen again, simply remove about 1/4 cup of the ice cream base, warm it, and add it back, it should blend back together.

• March 28, 2013 at 12:15

Oh, also the berries were a typo, I was using another one of my recipes as a guide for this. They are not supposed to be in this recipe, but I am sure they would be delicious if you wanted it strawberry flavored ;).

• March 28, 2013 at 12:52

Got it! Think the other ingredients must have been too cold. I'll try it again--thanks so much! :-)

• April 4, 2013 at 16:48

Tried it again and so glad I did! It came out beautifully this time. Minor modification: I added some sour salt to the plain vanilla part to evoke the tanginess of the cream cheese icing you'd find on red velvet cake and provided that spark of tartness that goes so well with beet. I used 3/4 tsp sour salt for the amount I reserved but would suggest adding it in 1/4 tsp increments till you find the balance you like. Thanks for an amazing recipe! Looking forward to making more of your yummy desserts.

• April 4, 2013 at 20:21

Yay :)! So glad it turned out for you!

6. March 21, 2013 at 15:12

Mmm mmm, this reminds me of summer! Which seems much farther off than it probably is, give me strawberry season!

• March 21, 2013 at 22:00

I wish it were summer :)!

March 30, 2013 at 19:25

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

March 30, 2013 at 19:57

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.