Raw Princess Cake Cheesecake

As I opened my Grandmother's dresser drawers, I was in awe of the amount of colorful silk scarves I saw.  Scarves of every color and design, small ones the size of hankerchiefs, large ones I could envision as skirts, and medium ones perfect for throwing around myself as a sash.  I couldn't resist digging through them, and I decided that they would be a perfect dress for a princess.  Being five I could use the larger ones to drape around myself and make skirts into what to me seemed like an exotic princess dress.  I walked out into the living room and my Grandmother of course wasn't mad that I was wearing all her scarves, rather she loved it, and it seemed to make her quite happy.  After all, she was the one who was always willing to sew me a skirt out of the fabrics I would discover from her stash in the basement.  Sometimes I miss those days, just being able to make myself feel like a princess by putting on some scarves, and spending time with my Grandma.  After all, every girl should feel like a princess!

Even as an adult I find ways to make myself feel like a princess.  Although they are somewhat different.  Yes, dressing up in fancy cocktail dresses and heels makes me feel like one, but so dies sitting in my jammies and enjoying a good dessert!

Like this raw princess cake cheesecake I recently made.  For some reason I was craving princess cake, the flavors of almond, vanilla and raspberry sounded quite heavenly to me!  For those of you that do not know what a princess cake it, it is a traditional swedish cake with vanilla cake, cream, raspberry jam (sometimes) and almondy marzipan.  It is usually dome shaped.

This one I made was non traditional however, it raw, it was not dome shaped, had no marzipan and was a cheesecake.  Because I decided that I wanted it to have more cream than cake.  All the flavors were present though...fragrant almond, tart raspberry, and smooth creamy layers! This cake was definitely fit for a princess, and I felt like one while eating it!  Even if I was in my hello kitty pj pants sitting on my couch and not on a throne.

Mini Raw Princess Cake Cheesecakes
makes four 4 inch cheesecakes

Cake:
3 cups almond meal
2 1/2 cups dried shredded unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp raw coconut nectar

Filling:
1 3/4 cups raw cashews (preferably soaked overnight)
1 cup young coconut meat, chopped
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp coconut water (or filtered water)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/3 cup plus 3 Tbsp raw coconut nectar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract and seeds from half a vanilla bean (other half reserved for topping)
1 tsp pure almond extract
1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp coconut oil (warmed to liquid)
1/2 cup organic raspberries
Swirl:
1/2 cup organic raspberries
2 Tbsp raw coconut nectar
Frosting:
2 1/4 cups raw cashew pieces (preferably soaked overnight)
1 1/2 cups coconut water

2 1/4 cups fresh young coconut meat* (or additional soaked cashews if not available)
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp raw coconut nectar
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract and seeds of a vanilla bean
1 tsp pure almond extract
3/4 cup coconut oil (warmed to liquid)
a couple spinach leaves (to tint green) or green plant based green food coloring
Lightly coat four 4 inch spring form removable bottom pans with coconut oil. To prepare the cake, process almond meal, coconut and sea salt in a food processor until it is blended, then add the agave nectar, vanilla and process until well blended. Firmly press crust into the bottoms of the prepared pans, and set aside.

To make the cheesecake filling, drain the cashews and combine them with coconut water, lemon juice and nectar, sea salt, vanilla in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. With the motor running, add the coconut oil (it helps the fat distribute evenly). Process about 30 seconds to 1 minute.  Divide the filling into 2 bowls.  Pour one back into the food processor and add 1/2 cup raspberries.  Process until well combined and scrape back into the bowl.

To make the swirl, in a food processor, combine 1/2 cup raspberries, 2 Tbsp nectar, and vanilla and process until smooth.

To assemble, pour the plain cheesecake filling over the cake bases in the pans, then the raspberry, then drop the raspberry swirl by the tsp on top of the filling over each cake, then swirl with a knife to marble. Place the cakes in the freezer until it is set, 4 to 6 hours, then once set store in the fridge.

To make frosting, drain cashews and blend all ingredients until smooth in a food processor, and set in the freezer about 30 minutes until a frosting consistency.

Spread the frosting on the sides of the cakes.  Place remaining frosting in a pastry bag and pipe decoratively around the tops and bottoms of the cheesecakes. Store leftover cake in the fridge.

• September 1, 2012 at 02:22

1. August 30, 2012 at 14:36

i've never heard of a princess cake before! the flavors sound delicious together and cake is beautiful in itself. i feel like a dome-shaped cake might look kind of weird, but yours looks perfectly princess-like ;)<br /><br />when i was little(and also older, haha), i would go into my grandmother's jewelry box and try everything on. it made me feel like a princess and i also bonded with my grandmother in the process. nowadays, i feel most like a princess when i get dressed up with my makeup done really nice. i always turn to dayv and say, "do you feel lucky to be married to me? because you should." haha ;)

• September 1, 2012 at 02:25

Thank you :)! Sounds like we had similar experiences as children, I used to raid Grandma's earring box, I liked the dangly ones. Sounds like your husband is a smart man ;)!

2. August 30, 2012 at 16:33

Never heard of a princess cake before!! But how can one go wrong with almond, vanilla, raspberry together with cashewnut and coconut sounds heavenly :)

• September 1, 2012 at 02:26

Thank you :)! It was quite heavenly ;).

3. August 30, 2012 at 18:18

Oh Amy, your cake is BEAUTIFUL! Wow . . . it is so pretty. If I had been the one to make it, I think that I'd have nearly teared up cutting into such a pretty thing! Ha-ha . . . nearly . . . I'm sure that the taste it quite worth it!

• Sunnie
      August 31, 2012 at 18:44

P.S. I just googled "Swedish Princess Cake," and I must say that yours is far prettier! I rather like the look of the pale green and pink, and the wonderful magenta-colored swirl!

• September 1, 2012 at 02:26

Thank you :)! Oh...but when I get hungry and can smell the wonderful cake, all prettiness aside I have to dive in ;). Glad you like the look of my cake!

4. August 31, 2012 at 01:49

That's such a great memory from your grandmothers house. I love things like that! Your cake is super pretty too, I love the green :)

• September 1, 2012 at 02:27

Thanks Vicky! Memories make the present all the better :)!

5. August 31, 2012 at 02:54

Pretty princess cakey!!!! I love the colors. Can you come and make my birthday cake for me this weekend Amy?! :) PS - I've always been a Hello Kitty lover too hehe.

• September 1, 2012 at 02:28

Thanks Heather :)! Hope your Birthday weekend is wonderful! I would make you a cake if you were closer! Hello Kitty is awesome!

6. August 31, 2012 at 04:00

That's one pretty princess cake, Amy! Love the luscious red swirls! :)

• September 1, 2012 at 02:28

7. August 31, 2012 at 12:16

What a lovely story about your Grandma and her scarves. This is one serisouly pretty cake!

• September 1, 2012 at 02:30

8. August 31, 2012 at 12:16

Oh my goodness just such a gorgeous princess cake :) I've got this pinned so that one day I can get around to make something that might resemble this.

• September 1, 2012 at 02:30

Thank you :)! I hope you do have a chance to make one someday, I know you will love it!

9. August 31, 2012 at 15:35

This is a beauty! I pinned it. You are amazing. Hope you have a lovely weekend.

• September 1, 2012 at 02:30

Thanks Suzi :)! Hope you have a wonderful weekend as well!

10. August 31, 2012 at 16:57

Your cakes are so beautiful. All I want to do is lick my computer screen...but I'm afraid that would be unsatisfying.

• September 1, 2012 at 02:31

Thanks Sarah :)!

11. September 2, 2012 at 12:16

Hi,<br />I wanted to ask, do you use blanched almonds or whole raw almonds?

• September 2, 2012 at 15:52

You could use either one here, the blanched will give the almond layer a whiter appearence and the whole, slightly less so. Use what you have on hand :)! I used soaked, then dried whole almonds.

12. February 2, 2013 at 22:05

We are having a little gathering tonight, my birthday was on thursday and I have had this up on my computer for the entire week gathering ingredients. My parents and their friends are visiting from Sweden, they brought the cashews, the coconut gathering was an exotic event that gave them lots of laughs. The cake itself has been in the freezer since yesterday and I just finished the green "marzipan" and put it on, not quite getting the piping right, so I just spooned it on the sides, still looks alright. we had lots of left over green stuff and we've all had several spoonfuls, it is SO GOOD! Can't wait for dessert time! Will try to post some pics on your facebook page later. Hej da!

• February 3, 2013 at 00:42

So happy you decided to make it, and enjoyed it :)! Thanks for letting me know how it turned out, and I would love to see pics! Happy belated Birthday :)!

13. July 28, 2015 at 22:38

Mmm, very yummy! I love learning about the origins of a princess cake and how you have adapted the raw version. Kudos!