Raw Key Lime Doughnuts

I am a big fan of Key Lime anything.  Of course, the classic key lime pie is toward the top of my favorite desserts list, but anything with that flavor makes me happy.  Maybe because it reminds me of summer, warm weather, being outside..you get the idea.  I know it is not summer, but I was in the mood for key lime something.  I thought about making cupcakes, but instead decided on doughnuts.

I made the key lime cake base for them, and it was fabulous even before spending time in the dehydrator. Needless to say I was scraping that bowl clean.  They smelled amazing while dehydrating, the aroma of coconut and lime filling my kitchen and house.  When they were done though, I couldn't decide between a chocolate glaze or a creamy lime frosting.  I went with the frosting, because I can not resist frosting, especially made with coconut and lime.

What a heavenly combination they were too...the aroma of lime tickling my nose before I even took a bite, and when I did, I was in my happy place. It was summer in my mind.

Raw Key Lime Doughnuts
Makes 8

Dough:

1 1/4 cups raw sprouted buckwheat, raw sprouted oat, or raw sprouted quinoa flour
1 cups ground raw flaxseed
1 1/2 cups raw coconut flour (do NOT use store-bought!)

1 cup young coconut meat
1/2 cup medjool dates, pitted (soaked in filtered water for 30 minutes if not soft, then drained)
1/3 cup raw coconut nectar or your choice of liquid sweetener
a handful of spinach
1/2 cup lime juice
1 Tbsp lime zest
1/2 cup coconut water (or as needed)

Frosting:

2 cups young coconut meat
1/4  cup coconut water
1 Tbsp lime zest
1/4 cup raw coconut nectar or raw agave nectar
1/4  tsp sea salt

seeds of one vanilla bean, or 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
a small handful of spinach
1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp raw coconut butter, warmed to liquid

For the dough, combine flour,  flaxseed, coconut flour, sea salt, in a large bowl and whisk together until and set aside. To a food processor, add the dates, vanilla, coconut, nectar, spinach, juice, zest, water to the processor and process until pretty smooth. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until smooth with a sturdy spoon (wooden works well) and well incorporated (the batter will be stiff, so you might want to use your stand mixer if you have one).  Shape the dough into 8 doughnuts and place on a dehydrator sheet.  Dry for about 12-14 hours (until dry on the outside but still moist).
Meanwhile, to make the frosting, combine all ingredients but the coconut butter in a food processor and process until smooth.  With the motor running, add the coconut butter and process a minute more.  Pour into a bowl and let sit in the freezer for about half an hour to 45 minutes or so until the consistency of whipped cream.
Place the frosting in a pastry bag, and pipe decoratively over the doughnuts.  Serve!  Store extra in the fridge.

1. March 14, 2014 at 15:52

Hi Amy! A friend recently recommended your blog to me, and now I am madly in love with all your desserts and amazed at your raw food chef skills. I did have a few questions though... What dehydrator do you use? I have a round Nesco, and I don't know if it's the best for doing the kind of desserts you do. Also, you use sprouted buckwheat, quinoa, and oat flour interchangeably, but what would you say is the difference in taste and texture? Sprouted dehydrated buckwheat tastes very malty and vegetable-y to me. I have not yet tried quinoa or oat. Do you have a preference for one grain over the others in the recipes you use for desserts? I'm amazed that your raw desserts look so much like real baked cake and contain no nuts (a major critique of mine for the raw foods movement). Also, do you squeeze your own raw coconut milk? Sorry- I know that's a lot of questions, but I would appreciate your advice/guidance before I jump into this arena of baking-- err composing (?) raw desserts. One last note: Have you considered adding ground dehydrated fruit powders into your cake batters? I have a stash of both tangerines (beautiful and delicious dehydrated on their own) and strawberries that I have folded into frostings and batters in the past of cakes I have baked (with eggs, not vegan raw) and found great success. Please also consider cooking by weight!

• March 15, 2014 at 00:38

I am so happy you decided to visit my blog and are enjoying it :)! I use a 5 tray Excalibur. I would not recommend a round dehydrator for most of the recipes because they will not fit. I prefer oat and buckwheat flour, simply because they are easy to make (buckwheat is the easiest). You will not notice a difference in taste in the recipes if they call for flour. I use them interchangeably and I do not notice the flavor since the other flavors in the recipe are what shines anyhow. But, if you are making a crust recipe, the sprouted buckwheat is essential for crunch, which is why I use it. Yes, I try not to use nuts in my recipes except as a small garnish or accent as they are hard to digest and a bit caloric, plus they create heaviness in cakes (which is not what I am trying to achieve). I do make my own coconut milk, but it is not squeezed, it is simply blended in a vitamix. Funny you ask about the dried fruit, I partially dried some strawberries and put them in a cookie recipe this week. I like that idea though, it might be another form of extract ;). Like if you were making a tangerine cake and wanted more tangerine flavor. I am usually too lazy to do that though unless I already have the dried fruit on hand because sometimes I make 3 recipes in one day ;). The reason I do not cook by weight is because not all raw food weighs the same. It is not like baking recipes with flour you know? I use a lot of natural ingredients that vary.

• March 15, 2014 at 06:04

Thank you for such a thorough answer! I have been contemplating upgrading to an Excalibur for a while and making beautiful raw, vegan desserts like yours is now the perfect reason! Do you use whole coconuts and add water, or young coconuts + their natural liquid to make the coconut milk? In Thailand, I watched them make fresh coconut milk, and they basically ran an adult coconut through an industrial masticating juicer. The first run was what they said Americans call coconut cream, and then they got the mash from the first run, mixed it with warm water, and ran it through again, and that's what they said Americans call coconut milk. They threw away the water from the adult coconut because they said it is stale and not good, like young coconut water. The whole experience changed how I thought about coconut milk and now makes me confused whenever I go to stores because I can't decide if I should just get the coconut cream and mix it with water, or buy a fresh adult coconut and run it through my masticating juicer, which I have done before but is a lot of work. I'll just do whatever you do for coconut milk, so I can get the same consistency as you!

• March 17, 2014 at 01:59

You are welcome! You definitely should upgrade, so worth it if you are serious about raw food. I honestly just use shredded dried coconut and water to make milk because young coconuts are expensive here and I like to reserve the meat for more grand usage than coconut milk. Coconut at the store is labeled "coconut milk" which is what most non-raw recipes call for. I do 1 cup shredded coconut to 3 cups water to get raw milk, and if you want it thicker add more coconut, thinner more water.

2. March 15, 2014 at 06:12

By the way, I bought coconut nectar, raw cacao, and started sprouting and dehydrating grains in anticipation of making a bunch of your recipes! I have not been this excited about cooking in a LONG time!

• March 17, 2014 at 02:00

Happy to hear you are excited :)!