Raw Holiday Hemp Nog

Every year around the Holidays, I used to wait patiently until the Silk Nog (non-dairy soy eggnog) was available in the health food store I work at. I loved the stuff.  It was creamy, it was sweet and it was delicious with a shot of bourbon added to it.  Funny because I never even thought to drink eggnog before I worked there and my coworker turned me on to it, telling me it was wonderful in coffee.  I tried some and I was hooked!  Last year I went without, because I had gone raw, and given up soy and refined sugar, and alcohol and I admit I missed it a little.  I do not know why I did not attempt to make a raw version, but I should have!  So this year I decided it had to happen.  I have seen many recipes for raw eggnog, and some of them sounded good, but this was going to be my own version.

I am not one to drink things with not much nutrient value, so I thought it would be awesome if I made a hemp nog filled with healthy omega 6 oils and protein along with the sweet deliciousness.  I love hemp milk, but this had to be a bit richer and more flavorful.  I accomplished that consistency with coconut meat, and the flavor with the addition of nutritional yeast (it makes it taste more like eggnog), cinnamon and nutmeg.  It was delicious, rich and everything eggnog should be!  I didn't even miss the bourbon, and it did not need alcohol it was so good!

Raw Holiday Hemp Nog
Makes about 4 cups

1/2 cup shelled raw hempseeds
3/4 cup young coconut meat
3 cups coconut water
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
a pinch sea salt
1/4 cup pitted medjool dates (or to taste)

In a high speed blender, combine all ingredients and blend until smooth.

1. November 29, 2013 at 16:36

yum, this sounds perfect!

• November 29, 2013 at 20:42

November 29, 2013 at 19:17

Hi Amy,<br /><br />this sounds awesome! Nutritional yeast in a drink! I am excited to make it. However I do not have access to young coconut meat. Would you suggest substituting cashews? Or perhaps using canned coconut milk and not using the coconut water?<br />Ps my boyfriend and i are LOVING the Mexican dark chocolate turtle cheesecake : )<br />Katie

• November 29, 2013 at 20:42

If you have a high speed blender, you can sub 3/4 cup dried shredded coconut + 3/4 cup filtered water for the meat, using filtered water instead of the coconut water for that part of the recipe. Or, you can use 3/4 cup cashews, soaked if you do not mind it not being nut free. I am happy you are enjoying the cake :)!

November 29, 2013 at 20:11

Lovely recipe, I will be making this for sure but will leave out the "nutritional yeast" because it contains gluten and I don't want any yeast. I know this will be so tasty. Thank you kindly for sharing such a beautiful post.

• December 1, 2013 at 03:10

Thank you:). Actually nutritional yeast does not contain gluten, and it is not the same as yeast in bread, it is a deactivated yeast strain, high in vitamin B and protein which is why vegans use it, along with the wonderful flavor. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutritional_yeast<br />But if you would still rather not use it, the eggnog will still taste good ;).<br />You are so welcome! I am always happy to share!

4. November 30, 2013 at 02:51

Thanks for providing the substitutions for the coconut meat. I also don't have easy access to coconuts so appreciate the alternatives. I'll be giving this a try as soon as I get home to my hemp seeds!

• December 1, 2013 at 03:11

You are welcome! I know not everyone can get it and I still want them to enjoy the recipe :)! I hope you do try it, and feel free to let me know what you think!

5. December 22, 2013 at 22:34

I can't eat seeds. Can you recommend a substitute? Maybe almonds or hazelnuts?

• December 22, 2013 at 23:01

You can use any nut, just soak them first.