Raw Energizing PB&J Smoothie

I love smoothies, but my boyfriend Eric loves them even more.  After we are out running errands and realize we are hungry, a smoothie is often the go to snack when we arrive home.  His favorite is anything made with peanut butter, and sometimes it is just as simple as bananas and peanut butter or even better...some raw cacao powder added in.  But the last time I went to make a smoothie, I did not have many frozen bananas left. What I did have though was strawberries.  I asked him if he still wanted the peanut butter in with the berries because I thought it might be a little weird, but he insisted.  So...this is what we ended up with, a PB and J smoothie!

Honest, it was so delicious, it tasted like PB&J in smoothie form.  I added in some protein to make it more substantial and filling, as well as some maca for energy and lucuma for a bit of sweetness.  It was yummalicious!  If you are making this and you prefer another type of berries over strawberries, go ahead and use those, it would be just as wonderful!

Raw Energizing PB&J Smoothie
Serves 2

1 cup raw hemp milk or coconut milk
1-2 scoops raw protein powder (optional)
2-3 Tbsp raw jungle peanut butter (or to your tastes)
2 Tbsp lucuma powder
1 Tbsp maca powder
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract

Stevia to taste (optional)
3 bananas, frozen and cut into pieces
2 cups frozen organic strawberries

In a high speed blender, combine all ingredients and puree until smooth, using the tamper to press the shake down into the blades.  Pour into 2 tall glasses and serve!

1. hannah
    April 23, 2014 at 00:11

Mmm looks good! What protein powder did you use?

• April 23, 2014 at 03:26

Raw vanilla protein from Garden of Life

• hannah
      April 23, 2014 at 15:39

Thanks for sharing! Sorry for questions! How do you make your milks? Sorry and thanks x

• April 24, 2014 at 21:42

• hannah
      May 3, 2014 at 23:46

have you tried this with any other nut butters? I've absolutely fallen in love with this pb version but I made some walnut butter today and wonder how it might be with that, possibly a bit bitter?

• May 4, 2014 at 13:25

Yes! It is not bitter at all, it just makes it silky and does not have the PB flavor.

• hannah
      May 6, 2014 at 11:10

I swear its even better with walnut butter and coconut milk! It tastes like mini milks :) xx

• May 7, 2014 at 21:54

I made something with similar ingredients last weekend without the liquid: 3 bananas, frozen, 2 cups frozen strawberries, and 2 Tbsp walnut butter with stevia to taste...omg, it was amazing :)!

2. April 23, 2014 at 01:00

That's like the most perfect smoothie color on the planet! It reminds me of something I used to eat as a kid...maybe an ice cream flavor or a strawberry shake or a strawberry cereal I ate that turned the milk pink. I can't remember but it was soooo good at the time and this looks just like it only way healthier and richer and more superyumful! Thanks for the recipe! :)

• April 24, 2014 at 21:43

You are so welcome :)! I agree, the color is lovely!