Raw Coffee Cream Truffles

I had some coffee cream left over from a dessert, and not being able to justify simply eating a bowl of it I thought I would put it to better use and make it into something sharable that would be appreciated...truffles!  Because who doesn't love truffles?!  Especially ones that can be eaten with your coffee.
I admit I am not a coffee drinker myself anymore, but I can imagine they would be.  Creamy and cool in contrast to the hot coffee, and a whole lot more sensible than eating something like a whole sugary scone if you wanted something a little sweet.

They were delicious on their own, creamy and sweet with just the right amount of coffee and the richness of dark chocolate to cover them.  I know it is summer, but if you save this recipe for Valentine's day and make them for your coffee loving sweetheart they will be impressed.  Or, make them now as a I love you and I am thinking of you sort of thing, because those type of gifts are always welcome!

Raw Coffee Cream Truffles
Makes about 2 dozen

Filling:
1 1/2 cups raw cashew pieces (soaked)
1/4 cup filtered water

1/4 cup raw coconut nectar or maple syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla and seeds of half a vanilla bean
1 Tbsp coffee extract
1/4 cup raw coconut oil (warmed to liquid)

Chocolate:
1/2 cup raw cacao powder
1/2 cup raw coconut oil
1/4 cup raw coconut nectar or maple syrup
a pinch of sea salt

For the filling, in a food processor, combine the cashews, water, coconut nectar, sea salt, vanilla, and coffee extract and process until smooth. With the processor running, add the coconut oil and process another minute until well incorporated.  Pour into a bowl, and place in the freezer until firm, but scoopable.  Scoop some of the cream out of the bowl by the heaping Tbspful and form into balls.  Place on foil, and once they are all rolled, place back in the freezer to harden.

Meanwhile, make the chocolate. In a bowl, whisk together the cacao powder, coconut oil, coconut nectar, and sea salt until smooth.  Allow to set until the mixture cools and thickens slightly.
Dip the filling balls into the chocolate and place on the foil.  Once they are all dipped, place them back in the freezer to set completely.  Enjoy!  Store extra in the freezer.

Also...Be sure to check out these recipes of mine at Veg News Magazine!

1. Ellen Lederman
    June 25, 2013 at 21:19

YUM! I do love truffles, but I'm not going to pay ridiculous sums for them at places like Godiva and eat some probably crappy ingredients. These are definitely in my future. I'm buying coffee extract tomorrow! I do make some raw cacao truffles already that used coconut, so it will be nice to have some that are predominantly of a cashew filling.<br /><br />Do you have a good source for vanilla beans? They can be so pricey. Do you ever just use pure vanilla extract?

• June 25, 2013 at 21:59

Thanks Ellen :)! I know you will love them! I get the vanilla beans from the store I work at in the bulk section. You can just use vanilla extract though if you wish!

June 25, 2013 at 21:58

I don't have any coffee extract on hand, but I think creme de cacao could be use as a substitute. What do you think? Coffee and chocolate make a wonderful couple.

• June 25, 2013 at 22:01

Sure! You should use what suits you, it is fine to use if you are not raw. You could also use espresso powder. The only reason I don't use real coffee in mine or alcohol is I don't drink either ;).

3. July 6, 2013 at 06:54

The presentation of the cake is great cake is placed in center while the coffee beans are scattered around it. The idea seems to be great i will definitely serve cake with this presentation .<br /><br />Thanks<br />Finn Felton<br /><br /><a href="http://cluwak.com/" rel="nofollow">Kopi Luwak</a><br />

• July 6, 2013 at 12:01

July 6, 2013 at 09:49

Hi Amy, I can't find coffee extract so I will use instant coffee. Do you use the instant coffee in the same quantity as the extract? And should I water it down or use it dry?<br />Love your blog!!<br />Alex

• July 6, 2013 at 12:02

I would mix it with the liquid that is to go into the truffles (to dissolve it) so that it does not add any extra liquid. Thank you :)!

5. August 29, 2013 at 17:40

Everything looks so delicious! but I have a question, what does raw exactly mean? I live in central america, so I'm not much of a good english speaker.

• August 29, 2013 at 22:03

It means not heated above 115F to preserve nutrients and enzymes.

6. November 14, 2013 at 03:04

These look so good! Do you think this recipe would work with pecans? I... kind of hate cashews, but the truffles look so delicious.

• November 14, 2013 at 03:20

Thank you :)! No, because the cashews make it creamy and help it set up. You would be better off using pine nuts or macadamias.