Raw Berries and Lavender Ice Cream Float

I can remember having root beer floats as a child.  I loved the way the root beer fizzed around the ice cream and made it sort of crunchy on the outside while melting it into a delicious creamy concoction in my glass.  I admit I never actually tried any other sort of ice cream float besides that until I was an adult and I made a Berry Vanilla Lavender one last year and loved it!
It was not raw however and was a little too sweet for my tastes now, but I thought it would be wonderful if I created a new and improved version!  Last weekend I decided to, as it was very warm here and I was in the mood for ice cream.
I had made some blueberry lavender ice cream and had some strawberry on hand as well, and I thought they would be perfect with a mixed berry "soda" I would create.
It ended up being 10x better than the other one because I used 2 delicious ice cream flavors and it was the perfect balance of sweet.  I definitely recommend this on a hot day this summer!

Berries and Lavender Ice Cream Float
Serves 1

1/3 cup mixed organic berries
2 tsp raw coconut nectar
1 tsp dried lavender flowers
raw blueberry lavender ice cream (recipe follows)
raw strawberry ice cream (recipe follows)
Sparkling water

Puree the berries, nectar and vanilla together.  Pour into the bottom of a large tall glass.  Scoop about 2 scoops of the strawberry ice cream into the glass, then 2 scoops of the blueberry, and pour the sparkling water over to almost the top of the glass.  Stir with a spoon, and enjoy!

Raw Blueberry Lavender Ice Cream
Makes about 6 cups

Ice Cream:
1 cup coconut water
2  cups organic blueberries
2  cups young coconut meat (or raw cashews, soaked 4 hours and drained if unavailable)
2 cups soaked raw cashews, drained (soaked at least 4 hours)
1/2 cup raw coconut nectar
seeds of one vanilla bean
2 drops du Terra lavender oil
a pinch of sea salt
1/2 cup coconut oil, warmed to liquid
2 Tbsp dried lavender flowers

Add coconut water, to a food processor, along with berries, cashews, coconut, agave nectar, vanilla, lavender oil and sea salt. Process until smooth, then with the processor running, add the coconut oil slowly and process until well incorporated, about a minute. Stir lavender into the base.  Pour into an ice cream maker and process according to directions. Remove from ice cream maker,  and pour into a freezer safe container with a lid.  Let sit in the freezer for at least four hours or overnight to firm up to scoopable consistency.

Raw Strawberry Ice Cream

Makes about 6 cups

Ice Cream:
1 cup coconut water
2  cups organic strawberries
2 cups soaked raw cashews, drained (soaked at least 4 hours)
1/2 cup raw coconut nectar
seeds of one vanilla bean
a pinch of sea salt
1/2 cup coconut oil, warmed to liquid

Add coconut water, to a food processor, along with berries, cashews, coconut, agave nectar, vanilla, and sea salt. Process until smooth, then with the processor running, add the coconut oil slowly and process until well incorporated, about a minute. Pour into an ice cream maker and process according to directions. Remove from ice cream maker,  and pour into a freezer safe container with a lid.  Let sit in the freezer for at least four hours or overnight to firm up to scoopable consistency.

May 25, 2013 at 13:09

Sounds delicious, I can't wait to try it. <br />Thanks for the recipe.

• May 25, 2013 at 23:16

Thank you, you are welcome :)!

2. Ellen Lederman
    May 25, 2013 at 14:31

Amy, I think your recipes have inspired me to buy an ice cream maker (my very first one!). I actually planted some lavender recently and wasn't sure what I would do with it...now I know. (You seem to be into lavender, so that's a good recommendation, because you totally won me over with the raw chipotle pomegranate brownies as well as your exquisite photography and excellent writing.)<br /><br />Question: is your preference the young coconut meat rather than cashews? Which is creamier? the coconut? I am too chicken to cut open a young coconut, but a local farmer's market will do it for me, so I do have that as an option.

• May 25, 2013 at 23:18

Awesome :)! So happy you got one! You are lucky to have your own lavender as well. I prefer coconut meat, but it can be spendy. I just feel that it is a bit healthier than the cashews so I try to use some along with them so it is not all just cashews. Plus the coconut meat is sweeter so it affects the flavor. If I lived in Thailand where coconuts were abundant I would use all coconuts, but unfortunately I live in Minnesota ;).

3. May 25, 2013 at 17:25

This looks like cold ice cream heaven! ;) Mmmm I love this idea. Very clever! ;)

• May 25, 2013 at 23:18

Thanks Miliany :)! It was totally heavenly!

May 25, 2013 at 23:44

Such beautiful ice creams, but...my husband is allergic to cashews. What would you recommend we substitute for the cashews, if anything (replace them with coconut, possibly?) Thank you for all that you do!

• May 26, 2013 at 12:07

Thank you :)! You can for sure replace them with coconut! The only reason I use the cashews is to make the ice cream more cost efficient since I live in MN and coconuts are hard to get. You are so welcome :)!

• Anonymous
      May 26, 2013 at 14:23

That's the other thing, though--I have trouble with the coconuts too. Are there any nuts I can substitute, in your opinion?

• May 26, 2013 at 15:51

Well, you can sub pine nuts, or macadamias if you want it creamy. You could also use sunflower seeds, but they have a flavor that is noticeable. You could also do almonds, but you may need to strain the mixture and use a high speed blender since they tend to leave bits.

• Anonymous
      May 26, 2013 at 17:29

Fabulous. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your input! Thank you!

• May 27, 2013 at 02:47

No problem! I am happy to help :)!

5. May 26, 2013 at 02:41

Oh my goodness what an amazing idea....love the sound of this! Always love a good float, but this knocks it out of the park!<br /><br />Happy Blogging!<br /><a href="http://www.happyvalleychow.com/" rel="nofollow">Happy Valley Chow</a><br />

• May 26, 2013 at 12:07

6. May 27, 2013 at 03:29

I too loved root beer floats as a child. Now they are FAR too sweet! I can't wait to try this. I'm in love with all things berries right now. Thank you so much for sharing, my dear!

• May 27, 2013 at 15:57

Me too, and I completely agree! I am glad you like the idea. I am happy to share and I hope you have a wonderful week :)!