Raw Banana Mocha Caramel Mousse Cake

I had about 30 bananas sitting on my counter as well as a ton of avocadoes and I knew I needed to make something with them.  I love avocados in mousse so I thought a raw chocolate mousse cake would be perfect!  I started dreaming about it and it soon turned into a decadent mocha flavored mousse with caramel swirls and layers of bananas.

I got excited about creating it!  I decided I wanted a crunchy chocolate cookie crust since the rest of the cake would be smooth, soft and silky.  I made it nut free, since the rest of the cake was going to be.

The filling was luscious, bananas and avocadoes with a bit of coconut butter to create the creamy mousse with raw cacao powder.  It was so good I could not stop tasting it!

It turned out beautifully!  The mousse was rich and creamy, the caramel and bananas sweet, the cookie crust crunchy, it was heaven. You would never be able to tell it was dairy free it tasted so decadent and delicious!

Raw Banana Mocha Caramel Mousse Cake
Makes one 6 inch cake

Crust:
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds

1/2 cup sprouted buckwheat, dried in the dehydrator (or additional coconut)

1/2 cup dried finely shredded coconut

1/8 teaspoon sea salt
10-12 soft medjool dates, pitted and chopped

3 Tbsp raw cacao powder

Chocolate Filling:
2 cups diced ripe avocados (about 4 medium)
2 cups sliced bananas
1/2 cup raw coconut nectar, or your choice of raw liquid sweetener
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp coffee extract
1 1/4 cups  plus 2 Tbsp raw cacao powder
1/2 cup coconut butter, liquefied
Caramel:
10 soft medjool dates
3 Tbsp raw coconut nectar or maple syrup
2 Tbsp raw coconut butter (warmed to liquid)
2-3 Tbsp filtered water as needed
2 bananas, sliced

Lightly coat a 6 inch spring form removable bottom pans with coconut oil. To prepare the crust, process sunflower seeds, coconut, buckwheat and sea salt in a food processor until it is fine crumbs, then add the dates and cacao powder and process until the mixture holds together when squeezed between your fingers (if not holding together, add more dates). Firmly press crust into the bottom of the prepared pan, and set aside.
For the chocolate filling, combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth, then set aside.
To make the caramel, process all ingredients except for water in the food processor until smooth and well blended.  Add a few Tbsp water as needed to create a caramel consistency.
To assemble cake, set aside 1/4 of the filling in a bowl in the fridge (this will be to decorate the cake).  Next, pour 1/3 of the remaining filling over the crust, then spoon some of the caramel by the tsp over that filling, and swirl with a knife.  Top with a layer of the sliced bananas.  Spoon half the remaining filling over that, then more of the caramel in the same fashion (swirling it, but being careful not to go too deep so you disturb the banana layer), then more bananas.  Top with the remaining filling, then smooth the top and place in the freezer to set for about 3 hours.
After the filling is set, place the remaining caramel in a pastry bag and pipe decoratively over the top of the cake.  Place the set aside chocolate filling in a pastry bag and pipe around the top and bottom edges of the cake. Serve!  Store extra cake in the fridge.

1. July 8, 2013 at 16:59

This looks awesome. Can you tell me how long all the prep will take?<br />I'd like to make this for my husband as he loves mocha and dark chocolate flavorings.

• July 8, 2013 at 17:30

For me it took less than an hour hands on (then the 3 hours in the fridge). It is really less prep than you think ;).

2. Ellen Lederman
    July 8, 2013 at 20:06

I had a really frustrating day today and I was trying to think of something that would make me feel better...and realized that your blog would do the trick! Sure enough, the photo and the description and contemplating making it in the not-so-distant future instantly did the trick! Amy's blog = therapy!<br /><br />Just got to ask---did you really have 30 bananas? I only buy a couple at a time to eat whole since I don't like them too ripe, but I guess maybe I need to up it to have on hand for raw desserts.

• July 8, 2013 at 22:19

Awesome :)! Happy that I can make your day better! Yes I did have 30 bananas. I work in a health food store and they had a lot of them that they were going to throw since they were getting spots (well perfect ones in my opinion) so I took them home.

3. July 8, 2013 at 23:14

Wow, Amy - astonishing!! Beautiful cake!! i love bananas and chocolate; I'd definitely love this cake! Mmm... what a dream! Your blog always makes me happier!! =) <br /><br />BTW, I added your blog to my recommended blogs list! You're number one! :) <br /><br />Have a great day! X :)

• July 10, 2013 at 23:04

Thanks Miliany :)! You would love it, and should try making it sometime! Thank you so much, you are awesome :)!

4. July 9, 2013 at 13:43

This looks insanely good Amy!!!... cant believe you had 30 bananas sitting on your counter! lol.

• July 10, 2013 at 23:05

Thanks so much Heather! Me neither lol.

July 10, 2013 at 17:53

Your recipes are amazing! I have been plant-based for a little over a year now, and I use a LOT of dates. This may be a crazy question, but where do you buy your dates? The soft medjool dates are quite expensive at my local health food store, and I am wondering if there's a dependable online store (or anywhere else) where I could find them for a more reasonable price. There are a lot of recipes I would LOVE to try if I didn't have to use my dates sparingly! LOL! <br />Thanks!<br />Jen

• July 10, 2013 at 23:06

Thank you :)! I buy them at the health food store I work at in the bulk section.

July 10, 2013 at 17:58

How long will this cake stay fresh in the fridge? Would you recommend freezing leftovers for later?

• July 10, 2013 at 23:06

1 week. You can freeze leftovers.

7. August 11, 2013 at 22:04

That looks DELISH! Thanks so much! What is coconut butter & are there any substitutions? Thanks again.

• August 12, 2013 at 00:59

Thank you :)! It is similar to nut butter, in that it is coconut solids all pureed. There is not a substitution as it helps this cake set up. It can be bought in the stores or online: http://artisanafoods.com/products/coconut-butter<br />And you can also make your own if you own a high speed blender, see how on my tips page: http://fragrantvanillacake.blogspot.com/p/helpful-things-for-recipes-on-this-blog.html

8. July 11, 2014 at 12:53

Wow! This one looks absolutely amazing :) thanks for the recipe.

• July 13, 2014 at 21:25