Raw Banana Coconut Nanaimo Bars

My Mom asked me if I could make her some Nanaimo bars.  I admit, I have never made the unraw version before so I had to check out what they actually were.  I have heard of them, just never had one.  If you have never heard of them, they are bars with a crunchy chocolate crust, creamy vanilla filling and a chocolate glaze on top.  Sounded good to me, so I was game to make them for her.

However, there was one thing I wanted to do...add some fruit or something to make them a little different than the usual.  I decided to add bananas, and make a coconut cream to make them extra delicious since I knew they would be even better that way than just plain chocolate and vanilla.

I knew they would be delicious as I was making them and tasting all the components.  The crunchy chocolaty crust, the luscious coconut cream and decadent dark chocolate with sweet bananas in between. My Mom loved them and so did I!  They were heavenly!  I might just need to experiment with more types of Nanaimo bars in the future!

Raw Banana Coconut Nanaimo Bars
Makes 16 bars

Crust:
2 cups raw walnuts
2 cup finely shredded dried coconut
1 1/2 cup buckwheat, sprouted and dehydrated (or additional coconut)
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp raw cacao powder
24 soft medjool dates, pitted (if not soft, soak them until they are and drain them)

2 organic bananas, sliced

Cream:
1 cup raw cashews, soaked 4 hours and drained
1 cup young coconut meat (or additional cashews if unavailable)
1/4 cup coconut water
3 Tbsp raw coconut nectar or agave nectar
seeds of one vanilla bean, or 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 Tbsp coconut butter
1/4 cup raw coconut oil, warmed to liquid

Chocolate glaze:
1/2 cup raw cacao powder
1/2 cup raw coconut oil
1/4 cup raw coconut nectar or raw agave nectar
a pinch of sea salt

For the crust, combine walnuts, coconut, buckwheat, sea salt, cacao powder, and dates in the food processor and process until fine crumbs and starting to hold together when squeezed. Press the mixture into a foil lined 9 inch square pan top with the banana slices, and set aside in the fridge.
To make the cream, combine all ingredients but the coconut butter and oil in a food processor and process until smooth.  With the motor running, add the coconut butter and oil and process a minute more.  Pour the cream over the bananas in the crust and place in the freezer until firmed up, about an hour.
Meanwhile, to make the chocolate glaze, whisk together all ingredients until smooth, then pour enough of the chocolate over the cream to make a thin layer (you may not need it all).  Place in the freezer just until set, about 5 minutes, then cut into squares.  They cut easier if you warm the knife in warm water, wipe it dry then cut a slice (to soften chocolate).

1. April 25, 2013 at 11:20

They look absolutely delicious and so creamy! And I also think adding some fruit to them made them even better!

• April 26, 2013 at 03:17

Thank you so much :)! I want to try them with berries this summer.

2. April 25, 2013 at 13:53

Woah! It looks just delicious! I'm glad I found your blog because I really like your recipes and I'm gonna use them in my kitchen. Thank you : )<br /><br /><a href="http://relishmeals.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow">www.relishmeals.blogspot.com</a><br /><br />

• April 26, 2013 at 03:17

Thank you so much :)! I am glad you enjoy my blog, welcome :)!

3. April 25, 2013 at 14:43

These should be called Raw Coconut NOM NOM NOM bars!! Look fantastic :)<br /><br />Happy Blogging!<br /><a href="http://www.happyvalleychow.com/" rel="nofollow">Happy Valley Chow</a><br />

• April 26, 2013 at 03:18

Love it :)! Thank you!

4. Lucia
    April 25, 2013 at 15:17

Gosh, I'm so going to make these! Only ingredients I don't have are the sprouted buckwheat and young coconut flesh which I can't seem to find in Toronto. Great blog n recipes. Many thanks! :)

• April 26, 2013 at 03:19

You actually just buy buckwheat groats and sprout them. But if you do not want to go through the trouble, just use extra nuts ;). For the coconut you can use an equal amount of soaked cashews. I do hope you try them. Thank you :)!

5. April 25, 2013 at 15:59

Lucky mum you got! ;) Looks delicious. Yummmmmmm! Can´t you make a move over here and make some of your yummie cakes?! :D

• April 26, 2013 at 03:20

Thank you so much :)! To bad they do not send through the comp ;).

6. April 26, 2013 at 14:10

Yum! thank you for sharing these wonderful recipes with us! I will try them, hopefully can find everything needed, they look and sound to delicious to resist!<br />

• April 26, 2013 at 23:00

Thank you so much :)! I hope you can too, if you need to make any substitutions I might be able to help.

April 26, 2013 at 23:02

Hi, Amy. I wanted to ask you a question: I've never used sprouted buckwheat before, so I was wondering if I bought sprouted buckwheat like this http://www.amazon.com/Your-Health-Sprouted-Flour-Co/dp/B007VF51OM, would I have to dehydrate them or are they already dehydrated?<br /><br />(I'm sure it's a dumb question, but I'm a total novice when it comes to cooking with sprouted/dehydrated foods).<br /><br />-Sue

• April 26, 2013 at 23:04

I did not know they sold such a thing ;). I would say no, since it looks like it is dried already.

April 26, 2013 at 23:47

Thanks a lot. <br /><br />-Sue

9. April 28, 2013 at 09:33

I just made this dessert. Oh My , just so delicious. Thank YOU so much for these recipes. My son of 22 months also loves your desserts! (i use less honey as sweetner :-) as per my baby ... Thank YOU

• April 28, 2013 at 23:12

Awesome! So glad you enjoyed it, I am happy to share recipes with you. You are so welcome :)!

10. May 11, 2013 at 11:24

I made.<br />There were a few ingredients I could not translate...<br />But was amazing!!!!!!

• May 14, 2013 at 02:20

I am glad you made it work and enjoyed them :)!