Maple Peanut Butter Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches

Peanut butter always makes me happy.  If I could I would take down a whole jar...but that would be a whole lot of calories and a bit gluttonous so I refrain.  I do have to have a little bit every day because I crave it the way some people crave chips or chocolate.  You can have those, but leave me my peanut butter and I  will be a happy girl.  I realized that it had been far too long since I have made peanut butter cookies last weekend so I decided to whip up a batch.

However, I love peanut butter and maple together so I wanted to make them maple peanut butter cookies.  If you have not tried this combination, you should, it is absolutely divine.  Especially with coffee!  I decided to make them gluten free as well, using quinoa flour because its nutty quality goes well with the peanuts, and almond flour because it gives such a wonderful texture to baked goods.  Honestly, when I was mixing the dough, it was a bit of an experiment because I was playing with an old vegan peanut butter cookie recipe I had used in the past.  Totally changing it and hoping for the best results.  Lucky me, because they turned out amazing and I can honestly say that they were the best peanut butter cookies I have ever made.

I didn't stop there with them however....I decided that they needed to be sandwiched together with maple peanut butter ice cream!  I always have some of it in my freezer, as it is my favorite flavor.  The ice cream sandwiches were seriously amazing!  Luckily I didn't eat them all last weekend or give the rest away, as it is 90 degrees this week and I feel like they are just the treat I need!

Maple Peanut Butter Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches

1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
2 tsp maple extract
1 cup chopped roasted peanuts

Peanut Butter Ice Cream:
1 1/2 cups organic full fat coconut milk, chilled
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp maple syrup
1/2 cup smooth organic peanut butter (no sugar added)
1/2 Tbsp pure vanilla extract

For the cookies, Mix together flours, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.  In a large bowl, whisk together peanut butter, maple syrup, coconut oil, and vanilla and maple extracts.  Whisk the flour mixture into the peanut butter mixture until well blended, and stir in the peanuts.  Chill mixture until firm, about an hour in the fridge. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and line a baking sheet with parchent.   Roll the dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and place on the baking sheet.  Flatten slightly with a fork and bake for 7-10 minutes until lightly browned and set.  Let cool completely.
For peanut butter ice cream, combine all ingredients in a blender, and process until well blended. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to package directions (mine takes about an hour, and is still a little soupy like the consistency of a malt, but firms up in the freezer later). Once done freezing, pour into a container with a lid and place in the freezer for at least 4 hours or over night to firm up.

To assemble ice cream sandwiches, scoop about 2 Tbsp of ice cream onto a cookie and flatten down slightly (be careful because the cookies can be delicate if the ice cream is hard.  If it is too hard, let it sit out a little while before you do this step).  Top with another cookie and press down.  Repeat with remaining cookies.

1. June 19, 2012 at 12:37

oh. I absolutely love this. I'm pretty much gluten and dairy free right now and I am starting to crave things like this. I can't wait to try and make this at home. Peanut butter is one of my favorite things.

2. June 19, 2012 at 13:35

I agree, peanut butter always makes me feel better. I am so glad I have it for lunch today because after seeing these I have SUCH a craving for it!

3. June 19, 2012 at 15:44

Oh, I am in love. I cannot resist anything maple & the addition of the peanut butter just takes it to another level. Awesome!!

4. June 19, 2012 at 16:44

These cookie sandwiches look yummy. I absolutely love the addition of maple syrup. I have to try it next time....kids will love it :)

5. June 19, 2012 at 18:36

awesome idea! what kind of almond flour do you buy?

6. Sunnie
    June 19, 2012 at 20:14

Oh Amy, those look delicious! I've been admiring your blog for the past couple weeks, but I've never posted before. I recently became vegan, and I LOVE that you have so many incredible-looking desserts, main dishes, etc. that I can actually eat! :D I love peanut butter, so hopefully I'll be making these soon!<br /><br />P.S. I saw that there wasn't a tag for "vegan" at the bottom of the post, just in case you forgot to add it. :)

7. June 19, 2012 at 22:10

Nice recipe, but if you want more decadence, add a little chocolate to that peanut butter ice cream. As a kid chocolate and peanut butter was my favorite flavor at Baskin Robbins

8. June 20, 2012 at 01:14

i've never had peanut butter and maple together, but will definitely give it a try. I love both ingredients and the cookies look delicious!

9. June 20, 2012 at 02:34

these look delicious! i've never had peanut butter and maple syrup together, i so need to try these!

10. June 20, 2012 at 11:19

Peanut butte also makes me happy :D lovely cookies..

11. June 21, 2012 at 23:26

I haven't tried Maple and Peanut Butter together yet. I have no doubt those sandwiches of yours are delicious. Have you tried the Peanut Butter Co. Maple Peanut Butter?

12. June 23, 2012 at 06:42

These look yummy! Maple and peanut butter is an awesome combo and so is the Peanut butter and Co maple peanut butter, but all their peanut butters are pretty amazing. I think it's great they are gluten free.

13. Sara
    June 26, 2012 at 19:24

you just helped me perfect my gluten-free, sugar-free, vegan cookie recipe!! I don't know why I never thought of quinoa flour. SO yummy.

14. July 5, 2012 at 17:40

My daughter has been craving ice cream cookie sandwiches, since she is trying out gluten-free along with already being vegan, and looooves coconut, I am printing this out now to make soon!

15. June 14, 2013 at 01:36

this looks yummy - I was looking for a cookie recipe using quinoa flour. thanks Amy<br /><br />Emily @ Town And Country Shuffle