Vegan Lemon Berry Cake
Red and Blue...berries that is! I cannot go the whole 4th of July weekend and not make a dessert with berries! It is a tradition in my household that some sort of dessert with berries be made for the 4th, ever since I was a little girl. My Mom started the tradition, making a frozen dessert using berries that looked like an American flag and later berry topped tarts with lemon cream cheese filling. Every year we have always had something red white and blue.
So this year I decided to continue the tradition and make something of my own completely different, except for the use of the brightly colored red and blue berries! I wasn't sure what to make at first, I just picked up a large amount of blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries at the store, and finally decided that I was in the mood for cake...studded with lots of tart and sweet berries!
Not just vanilla cake however, tart lemon scented cake! I love the combination of lemon and berries in the summer, it is so wonderfully refreshing! The cake was easy to make, no frosting needed, and beautiful when simply dusted with a bit of powdered sugar and fresh berries. Very rarely do I dress a cake this way, since I am usually over the top when it comes to frostings and fillings, but this time, the simplicity was just so delicious!
The tart light, but moist cake was studded with a mosaic of red and blue tart and sweet little jammy pops of berry flavor, and more delicious than I could have imagined! I served it with a little vanilla ice cream, as it was a hot evening, and it was perfect! My Mom, who I shared the cake with approved as well, telling me she enjoyed it even more than the berry desserts we had enjoyed on the 4th in the past. Now if only I had made a bigger cake, as this one has long been devoured. If you wish to make a larger cake than my recipe for entertaining, you can double this recipe and bake it in a 9 inch round cake pan (just lengthen the baking time). Happy 4th of July weekend, I hope you all are enjoying your own traditions!
Vegan Lemon Berry Cake
Makes one 6 inch cake
1 6 inch round cake pan
- 3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp all purpose gluten free flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup palm coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil, warmed to liquid
- 1/4 cup organic coconut milk
- 1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup blueberries
- 3/4 cup quartered organic strawberries
- 3/4 cup organic raspberries
- Coconut powdered sugar for topping*
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and position rack in center of oven. Oil one six-inch-diameter cake pan with 2-inch-high sides with coconut oil.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, and sea salt in a large bowl to blend well. Whisk sugar, oil, milk, lemon juice, and vanilla extract, together in small bowl to blend well, then whisk into the flour mixture until well blended.
- Stir in berries (reserving about 3/4 cup). Scatter the 3/4 cup berries into the bottom of the prepared pan, then pour cake batter into the pan over the berries, and place in the oven.
- Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 50-60 minutes.
- Cool cake for about 15 minutes in pan then place a plate on top, hold firmly and flip over to unmold, then carefully flip to right side up onto another plate. Let cool before serving and dust lightly with coconut powdered sugar.
*If desired, you cake double the recipe and bake the cake in 1 9 inch round pan, and give it additional time to bake, about 15-20 min.
*To make coconut powdered sugar simply buzz some finely shredded coconut in a high speed blender until it is fine like powdered sugar. If you want it sweet, add a touch of coconut sugar, but keep in mind this darkens it. I like it just as is as a pretty accent and not so much to sweeten.
(Visited 40 times, 1 visits today)