Cooking with Dorot Basil and Garlic and Italian Stuffed Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Fresh herbs and spices make the meal. When I was little my Mom would often add fresh garlic, basil, and parsley to her dishes. They always tasted extra good above everyone else's in my mind, and that was one of her secrets. I have kept the tradition going and I myself love to use fresh ingredients to flavor my cooking. However, sometimes it is hard to peel and chop garlic fast, and fresh herbs are not available since I live in Minnesota where it is Winter for 6 months out of the year. Luckilly, Dorot has me covered. Gone are the days of prepping herbs thanks to their products!
In case you hadn't heard of them, they are a company that makes fresh frozen herbs that you can buy in your local Trader Joe's or Whole Foods frozen section near the vegetables. Their products include garlic, onions, basil, parsley, ginger, chilies, dill and cilantro! Lots of options for creating the perfect easy recipe! And, I don't know about you but when I buy bunches of fresh herbs, they often go bad before I use them all and they are expensive. Dorot eliminates that all together. Their herbs are very affordable, and pre-portioned out, so that you only use what you need and you are not wasting money. As far as the preservation goes for these herbs, they freeze them within 90 minutes of harvest so that they stay extra flavorful. They also do not contain any yucky preservatives, so you can feel good about using them in your meals. I was excited to try them out when I saw them with their colorful red labels, and I began to think of a delicious recipe to make with them. I chose the basil and the garlic and decided to go for something Italian.
I decided on Italian lentil stuffed sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes comprise many of my dinners, and I wanted to flavor the lentils and rich tomato sauce with the Dorot garlic and basil. I admit I was more excited to make dinner knowing that I wouldn't have to peel garlic or wash and chop basil. I made a simple tomato sauce with lentils flavored with the Dorot basil and garlic and it was super easy to make! Just pop in the pre-measured cubes and go! It tasted just as good as fresh herbs too without all the prep. Once the lentil sauce was spooned over the potatoes, and I was drooling because it smelled amazing, I dove in. It was delicious thanks to the herbs! Dorot is definitely a keeper and I will be using it in my future meals to make my life easier. Want to try it out for yourself? Head over to Dorot's website and grab a dollar off coupon HERE for your next trip to the store!
Italian Stuffed Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2/3 cup French lentils
- filtered water
- 1 15 oz can organic diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 4 cubes Dorot Basil
- 2 cubes Dorot Garlic
- 1 large handful spinach leaves
- Preheat the oven to 400F degrees, and prick the sweet potatoes all over with a fork. Place them on a lined baking tray, and place in the oven. Bake for an hour to an hour and 15 minutes until they are tender.
- Meanwhile, add the lentils to a medium sized pot, and add enough filtered water to cover them by 3 inches. Bring to a boil, and lower to a simmer. Cook for about 30-40 minutes until tender but still holding shape. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, add the tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, and sea salt to a medium sized pan, and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 10 minutes, then add the Dorot Basil and Dorot Garlic. Cook for another 10 minutes to allow the flavors to enhance the sauce, then remove from heat and stir in lentils and spinach.
- To plate, cut the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise, and spoon the lentil mixture over them. Enjoy!