Citrus Carpaccio with Grapefruit Lavender Ice Cream, Pistachio Crumble, and Lavender Syrup

I have to admit, I am not a big winter fan with the cold and all, but one thing that makes me very happy is the abundance of citrus fruit.  Oranges, grapefruits, lemons...I love them all, and I love using them in desserts even more!  Although I enjoy making a lot of pies, cakes, cookies, and rich stuff, this weekend I thought I would make something a little lighter.  Partly because my dehydrator broke (which I was very sad about, but I ordered a new one so I am happy) and partly because I was in that sort of mood.

Plus, citrus deserves to be shown off, it is lovely!  So I thought a carpaccio would be a perfect way to do so.  I just made some Raw Grapefruit Lavender Ice Cream, and I knew it would be perfect with it!

I thought a crunchy element would be nice as well, so I added some tart pomegranate seeds.  But it needed some nuts and saltiness as well, so I created a pistachio coconut cumble and it was perfect with it!  Lastly, I made a lavender syrup to drizzle over it and voila...winter citrus beauty!  It was heavenly, and just the type of light dessert I was craving!  People would not need so many new years resolutions to eat healthier if they made desserts like this!

Serves 2

Syrup:
2 Tbsp raw coconut nectar
2 Tbsp water
2 tsp dried lavender flowers

Crumble:
1/4 cup raw pistachios, shelled
1/4 cup large flake coconut
1 Tbsp raw coconut nectar
a large pinch sea salt

2 pink grapefruits (such as Rio Stars), Peeled, and thinly sliced horizintally
2 oranges, peeled and thinly sliced horizontally
1/4 cup pomegranate seeds

Raw Grapefruit Lavender Ice Cream

For the syrup, combine all ingredients together in a small bowl, and stir to dissolve nectar.  Let sit for at least a few hours.
For the crumble, combine the pistachios, coconut, nectar, and sea salt in the blender and pulse until coarsely chopped and sticking together a bit.
On each of 2 plates, place the grapefruit and orange slices decoratively, and scatter some pomegranate seeds.  Place a scoop of the ice cream, then spoon some of the crumble around it.  Drizzle the syrup over the citrus.  Enjoy!

1. December 30, 2012 at 21:35

This is such a beautiful dessert, Amy! I can envision this being served at a fancy restaurant. Gorgeous!

• December 31, 2012 at 12:02

Thanks so much Jennifer :)! The best part is it can be enjoyed in the comfort of my own home ;)!

2. December 31, 2012 at 02:41

Just stunning, Amy! And a relatively guilt free dessert...but not lacking in flavor! Happy New Year, my friend!!!! xo

• December 31, 2012 at 12:02

Thanks so much Liz :)! Totally guilt free, Happy New Year to you!

3. December 31, 2012 at 03:12

Gorgeous - I am thinking each component is a separate meal and I have a 3-course dinner here. Really, really love the pistachios.

• December 31, 2012 at 12:03

Thanks so much Claudia :)! Hope you have a wonderful New Year!

4. January 1, 2013 at 20:39

You always present your dishes so beautifully. I would call this one eye-catching.

• January 1, 2013 at 23:33

Thanks so much :)!

April 15, 2013 at 17:50

Hi Amy, I'd like to make your dessert this Wed, but I cant get the grapefruit lavender ice cream so fast:-( I do can get a jasmin, violet flowers or rose ice cream. Could you advice how should I adjust your recipe, so it will keep its garmony and beauty. <br />Many thanks for your quick reply!<br />Marina

• April 15, 2013 at 18:32

Grapefruit rose ice cream would be delicious as well, simply omit the lavender and add a tsp rosewater to the ice cream base.

• Anonymous
      April 15, 2013 at 18:47

Thanks, Amy, but I'm not going to make ice cream myself :-)This time at least... There is a best gelatery in the area. So, I will rely on them. There is jasmine, violet flowers or rose ice cream available but without grapefruit. So it will be like citrus carpaccio with a flower ice and pistachio crumble. Do you think it will work out? I don’t know what taste of the ice cream I should go for. May be violet flowers and decorate the dessert with the flowers?

• April 15, 2013 at 22:36

I think it would work out, you can try the violet, maybe you will create something new and delicious ;)!