Chocolate Orange Swirled Pomegranate Cheesecake

When I was little, on Christmas morning, before my parents were even up I would run out into the living room and peek into my Christmas stocking.  There were always exciting trinkets in there, and always some form of chocolate.  One year, I recieved a chocolate orange.  It was the size of a real orange, so I was quite excited about it...the more chocolate the better you know!  My Mom of course would not let me eat the whole thing at once, but it was delicious.  The first time I enjoyed chocolate and orange together and I would never forget the heavenly combination.

Since the chocolate cheesecake I made for Eric's Birthday last weekend was so good, I decided that I needed to make one this weekend.  I wanted it to be festive, as I am in a Christmasy mood, and the chocolate orange combo came to mind (since it always makes me think of Christmas now).  I decided to add pomegranate seeds to the mix as well since they are so beautiful and I thought the tart pops of flavor would be delicious in the cheesecake.

I thought about making strictly chocolate filling, but I thought it would be much more beautiful and interesting with some vanilla orange as well.  I am a sucker for swirls as well so that was what it had to be.

The filling tasted amazing before I even poured it into the crust, I gladly scraped the bowl clean and finished off the extra. I love how with raw desserts there need not be a fear of raw eggs as I am a big batter eater.

Once chilled and ready to enjoy I was quite excited.  I cut myself a large piece and had a few minutes of amazing alone time in the heavenly place the cheesecake transported me to.  The filling was luscious with the sweet vanilla and decadent chocolate plus the tart bursts of pomegranate seeds.  I could have taken down the entire cake but I am not selfish, so don't worry, I shared.

Chocolate Orange Swirled Pomegranate Cheesecake
Makes one 6 inch cake

Crust:
3/4 cup pecans, soaked and dried
3/4 cup sprouted buckwheat, dried in the dehydrator (or additional pecans)
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
10-12 soft medjool dates, pitted and chopped
Filling:
3 cups raw cashews (preferably soaked overnight and drained)
1/2 cup orange juice
2 Tbsp  organic orange zest
1/2 cup raw coconut nectar
1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp coconut oil (warmed to liquid)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

1/4 cup raw cacao powder

3/4 cup pomegranate seeds

1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract and seeds from half a vanilla bean (other half reserved for topping)
Lightly coat a 6 inch spring form removable bottom pans with coconut oil. To prepare the crust, process pecans, buckwheat and sea salt in a food processor until the pecans are fine crumbs, then add the dates and process until the mixture holds together when squeezed between your fingers (if not holding together, add more dates). Firmly press crust into the bottom of the prepared pan, and set aside.
To make the filling, drain the cashews and combine them with orange juice and zest, nectar, raw sea salt and vanilla in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. With the processor running, add the coconut oil, and process for a minute until blended. Divide the filling in half and place half back into the food processor.  Add the cacao powder to the filling in the food processor and process until well blended.  To assemble, drop the fillings, alternating between chocolate and plain over the crust in 1 Tbspful amounts, as well as scattering pomegranate seeds as you go.  Once filled, tap on the counter to level and swirl with a knife. place in the freezer to set for about 4-6 hours.
Store in the fridge when set.

1. December 4, 2012 at 13:51

Mmmm some of my favourite flavours all rolled into one. Love pomegranate, it really does add a "pop" to ever recipe you include it in. Strangely enough it's been finding its way into main dishes much more than desserts recently in my house.

• December 5, 2012 at 00:25

Thanks so much :)! It has at my house as well, love them too!

2. December 4, 2012 at 14:14

Wow - your recipes and photography are sublime! This looks beautiful - can't wait to make it, and, more importantly. scoff it! Thank you

• December 5, 2012 at 00:26

Thanks so much :)! I do hope you make it, I know you will love it!

• December 5, 2012 at 00:27

Haha...I suppose it is pretty evil to post pics ;)!

3. December 4, 2012 at 17:10

So beautiful! You can't ever go wrong with pomegranate.

• December 5, 2012 at 00:28

Thank you :)! I completely agree!

4. December 4, 2012 at 18:52

so pretty...i love pomegranates. unique recipe :)

• December 5, 2012 at 00:28

Thanks so much :)! Me too!

5. December 4, 2012 at 19:14

Who does not love pomegranate:)Thank you for the recipe

• December 5, 2012 at 00:28

People that are crazy I guess ;)! You are very welcome, I am happy to share!

6. December 4, 2012 at 22:01

Absolutely beautiful! And I'm a sucker for swirls (and the chocolate-orange combo) too! I just make chocolate orange almond bark for the folks in my apartment building. One of these days I swear your desserts are going to make me jump through my computer screen! lol :D HUGS!

• December 5, 2012 at 00:30

Thanks so much Tiffany! Your bark sounds wonderful, lucky neighbors! Lol...wouldn't want to break your computer haha!

7. December 5, 2012 at 01:57

Ive done chocolate and orange before, and orange and pomegranate but never the trio before. What a fabulous combo Amy! Just beautiful and I can imagine how it tastes Mmmmm :)

• December 5, 2012 at 12:02

Thanks so much Heather :)! You have definately got to try them together, I have a feeling you could come up with a spectacular dessert ;)!

8. December 5, 2012 at 14:50

Oh sweet girl, this is another beautiful creation. I have been craving pomegranates too. How did you know? It is so good to visit your blog again. I've been quite sick the past month...and with moving on the near horizon, my blog-reading has gone to the wayside. But I am very glad to be back! I hope you have a beautiful week!

• December 7, 2012 at 13:07

Thanks so much Monet :)! I hope you are feeling much better and sorry to hear you have been sick. Stay well :)! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

9. December 6, 2012 at 10:03

I love all the variations you come up with for a cheesecake! You be sure to send me a signed copy when your first cheesecake book comes out! :)

• December 7, 2012 at 13:07

Thanks so much :)! Definately ;)!

10. December 6, 2012 at 15:43

OMG!'am definitely going raw!Amazing!! :) Can I substitute raw cashews with Brazilian nut's?

• December 7, 2012 at 13:07

Thanks so much :)! I don't see why not.

11. December 7, 2012 at 01:26

Amazing! I made this yesterday, and I loved it. You're a genius. I've made a few of your raw recipes over the past few weeks, but this is by far the best, seeing as orange, chocolate and pomegranate are literally my three most favourite flavours, and you put them all together. Thank you :) <br />Oh, and also, I subbed the buckwheat (I don't have a dehydrator... yet) and pecans for soaked cashews and almond meal; it tasted great, but it stuck to the pan a bit, so I may need to change the measurements a bit next time!

• December 7, 2012 at 13:09

So happy you decided to make it! Thank you :)!<br />I would say, use parchment at the bottom of the pan and then spray the bottom and sides with non-stick spray. That is what I do and it works every time.

12. December 8, 2012 at 19:58

Wow this looks fabulous! You are such a genius and very creative! Chocolate and orange must be a perfect marriage together! I don't think I've ever tried pomegranate, but I'm sure it taste delicious! I must make this some time soon!:)

• December 8, 2012 at 23:24

Thanks so much :)! You definately need to find a pomegranate and try it, so delicious ;)!

13. December 31, 2012 at 21:48

Oooh, this looks fantastic! I love the flavor combination & the colors are gorgeous!

• January 1, 2013 at 23:28

Thanks so much :)!

14. February 16, 2013 at 16:07

Hey Amy! So I decided to make this delicious cake for my boyfriend's birthday today. It turned out to be d-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s! Everyone loved it and I'm sure I will make it again! <br />Here are some photos how it turned out. :) <br />https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/66736_10151245630972100_682743083_n.jpg<br />https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/482465_10151245630982100_556513676_n.jpg<br />Thank you for sharing your recipes, this cake really was a big hit today.<br />Have a great day,<br /><br />Darja

• February 17, 2013 at 17:13

Awesome :)! I am so happy it turned out for you! I will have to go check out the pics!